• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

Soldato
"It's been silent with new graphics card releases from Nvidia.
We've mentioned it a couple of times already, we really do not expect Volta with HBM2 to reach consumer grade graphics anytime soon.
The chatter is about to get big as the first indications are here that Nvidia will be launching a GA104, a GPU called Ampere, on April 12th."

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ru...-geforce-gtx-2070-and-2080-on-april-12th.html

Soldato
Thanks for that link, although if their proposed release dates are right, no Ti (and guessing Titan) until end of 2018, or even beginning of 2019 ?? :confused: Hmm, should not have hesitated over the Ti deals Gibbo had up earlier then. :( I guess if you sneeze you lose ehh ! :p

Associate
"It's been silent with new graphics card releases from Nvidia.
We've mentioned it a couple of times already, we really do not expect Volta with HBM2 to reach consumer grade graphics anytime soon.
The chatter is about to get big as the first indications are here that Nvidia will be launching a GA104, a GPU called Ampere, on April 12th."

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ru...-geforce-gtx-2070-and-2080-on-april-12th.html
No competition from AMD means middling performance upgrades

Associate
Please no! The 1080 already cost smidge more than the 980Ti did at launch. If the miners keep at this madness that might actually be a realistic figure :(
There's got to be a ceiling where the prices will just knock the bottom out of the market. If miners gobble up everything and new cards are scarce and overpriced then long term surely it will damage the market. I'm sure there are a LOT of people on GTX 970s thinking that it might be their last ever graphics card

Man of Honour
Said it before and say it again HBM2 is just not fast enough for gaming cards.

Even if I give the memory on my Titan V a big overclock (from 850mhz to 1066mhz) it is still not fast enough to keep up. Yes you get massive bandwidth but that is not much use for lots of small chunks of gaming data which need raw clockspeed.

Hopefully Ampere/GDDR6 will make this obvious to the guys who are just about to criticise me for saying HBM2 is too slow.:eek:

Man of Honour
Said it before and say it again HBM2 is just not fast enough for gaming cards.

Even if I give the memory on my Titan V a big overclock (from 850mhz to 1066mhz) it is still not fast enough to keep up. Yes you get massive bandwidth but that is not much use for lots of small chunks of gaming data which need raw clockspeed.

Hopefully Ampere/GDDR6 will make this obvious to the guys who are just about to criticise me for saying HBM2 is too slow.:eek:

I'm not convinced by HBM2 for gaming use - but I think its doubly penalised on the Titan V due to the compute focus which is one reason why overclocking it can see such gains in gaming.

Associate
Funny you should say that, my 970 blew up and looking at replacements, I'm not keen on anything. If it hadn't popped wouldn't have considered upgrading.
Strip your PC down and sell it off. Might make enough to buy an XBox One X outright.

I sold all my old parts for a grand total of £450 (3570k build with GTX 970)

Associate
If the launch price of the Ampere XX80 is around £625 who is interested in getting one?

I'd certainly consider it (would be a toss up between the xx70 or xx80 - I'll be getting one or the other)

The way I see it is that if for £625 I get something faster than a £750 (at best!!) 1080ti, that's newer and will hold resell value for longer, then that's all good

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It sounds like these could be quiet good for ETH. :p

On a side note, since when is a 104 chip considered highend?

Back
Top Bottom