• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

Permabanned
Perhaps you should read the links you post to save yourself looking foolish.....

Not even moving past your first link.....

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review

So a review of the 1080ti, released 10 months after the gtx 1080, where the article you linked acknowledges that the flagship for the past ten months has been the GTX1080! (or the perhaps the Titan x [1st release pascal] which came out 3 months after after the 1080 but before the 1080ti...but the 1080 was the flagship in the authors view from release at least up until the Titan x was released!)

The quote you posted....

Is a clear allusion to the fact that the 1080ti was released the subsequent year to the 1080 hence it was that years (2017) flagship card at the time much like the 1080 was a flagship card for the previous year (2016)!

Your link also confirms the point about it being good business sense to not release a big die mainstream, consumer gpu first due to yield issues and the reduced costs of releasing a bigger die product after the release of a smaller die product to refine the process.

Thanks for making my points for me!

Wow... that's quite some mental gymnastics to try and support your claim.

It's funny to watch...

Soldato
Wow... that's quite some mental gymnastics to try and support your claim.

It's funny to watch...

That the first link you posted shows the author clearly identifies the 1080 as being a flagship level product for a while after release and I am the one performing 'mental gymnastics' ?

You have got to be kidding? Your own first link undermined your own argument!

Soldato
Hopefully this will help you:

http://bfy.tw/qJU

And you call me a troll.....

Your first link undermines your own argument..... (that the 1080 was not described by the press and nvidia as a 'flagship' product on launch) The author of the article talks about the 1080 launch in their 1080ti review, talks about nvidia having the lead in flagship level performance for the last ten months which corresponds to the launch period between the 1080 and 1080ti. Therefore clearly indicating that, in their view, the 1080 had at least been a part of that 'flagship level' performance for the last 10 months.

And how did Anandtech refer to the 1080 closer to its launch (hint they called it a high end 'flagship' )

the GTX 1080 is being launched as the first 16nm/14nm-based video card, and in time-honored fashion NVIDIA is starting at the high-end.

Your responses since have contained no attempt at a rebuttal (as their isn't one) and just silly quips and nonsense links.

I don't propose to clutter the thread up any more. I consider my point throughly made (by you posting a link that you either didn't spot or didn't realise contradicted your argument) and anyone else reading the thread can make their own mind up on the matter.

Last edited:
Soldato
And you call me a troll.....

Your first link undermines your own argument......

calling the 1080 "flagship level" when a faster card had been out for 7 of the ten months, pretty much flies in the face of the definition of flagship, so calling something "flagship level" is basically nonsense

Its like calling someone the "almost world champion"

Permabanned
GTX 1080 is nothing more than a mainstream middle-class graphics card. Because of the die shrink alone and the fact that it was the first 16nm GPU chip out there, made it appear the fastest at the moment of its release..

Man of Honour
End of the day I can never take something like the 1070 and 1080 seriously as "high end" regardless of whatever title is slapped on them by nVidia or contrived justification someone is going to try and come up with.

Tech moves on - when a new generation of performance is available it is ridiculous to call the mid-range of that new envelope high end because it can match the previous generation high end - it isn't like semiconductor manufacturing is so mysterious - its well known they are (usually) working with "12inch" wafers and that even if not available immediately quality will ramp up to being able to produce at least upto 600mm2 dies and possibly beyond that if you throw enough money at it.

And no die size isn't the be all and end all - but generally its a fairly accurate guide as to where a core stacks up performance wise compared to the max possible.

Caporegime
I just find it a sad state of affairs that the marketing obviously works on people that well, whilst Caracus may technically be correct going off their own description of the card and the fact that at one point it was the fastest gaming card, it was pretty evident to most people what they were doing and have been doing for a number of years now. Arguing the semantics of the whole thing is pointless and just feeds into their agenda.

Soldato
calling the 1080 "flagship level" when a faster card had been out for 7 of the ten months, pretty much flies in the face of the definition of flagship, so calling something "flagship level" is basically nonsense

If you are world champion for a day you have still been world champion!

It's really not that hard to work out. If you are 'almost' world champion it's because you came 2nd or never had the top score!

By all means describe the 1080 as a short lived flagship.... But a flagship for a time none the less

Last edited:
Permabanned

Quite... their reference to "flagship level" was not calling it a flagship card but stating that it had a level of performance that could almost be considered to be flagship level.

Soldato
Quite... their reference to "flagship level" was not calling it a flagship card but stating that it had a level of performance that could almost be considered to be flagship level.

What word spaghetti nonsense! It had flagship level performance (no almost about it) but wasn't a flagship.... because.. ...because.... reasons

(yes I know I said I was leaving it but really.... Come on its either a flagship or its not. The definition of flagship has already been posted by me repeatedly)

Anandtech called the 1080 a flagship shortly after its release.. .

Back in May we took a first look at the first of these cards, NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition. Launched at $700, it was immediately the flagship for the FinFET generation

With FinFet being the latest process at the time and the 1080 being the best performing card in its field at the time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its not marketing, its not falling for anything

It is though, the Titan X could quite easily have been released in May 2016 instead of August, they double dipped for maximum profit and you had a number of people on this very forum who bought a 1080 then upgraded to the TX as the performance gap was that large. A flagship GPU clearly existed behind closed doors at the same time as the 1080 release, it just wasn't public knowledge as that would quite clearly have hurt the marketing of the 1080 as a flagship level card.

Soldato
:D
I just sit and watch now. Some people are Nvidias marketing department's wet dream. To be fair Nvidia has the best marketing section I've seen. They get people to throw money at cards with the promise that it's the best, only to release another "best" later on and again and again...Folk lap it up.

Oh please the whole history of technology has been something faster/better being released a bit down the line.

When tech stall for whatever reason (like fairly recently with intel and CPU's) the pages of this forum are full or people whinning about the lack of a meaningful upgrade!

If nvidia sat on their laurels knowing that AMD are not going to be releasing a 1080ti competing card for a while yet people would be whinning about that here!

Soldato
It is though, the Titan X could quite easily have been released in May 2016 instead of August, they double dipped for maximum profit and you had a number of people on this very forum who bought a 1080 then upgraded to the TX as the performance gap was that large. A flagship GPU clearly existed behind closed doors at the same time as the 1080 release, it just wasn't public knowledge as that would quite clearly have hurt the marketing of the 1080 as a flagship level card.

Nvidia have effective strategy for maximising their profit shocker! We all know how this game plays out.... No one forces you to buy an xx80 or xx70 card. NVIDIA don't owe you or anyone else a particular product at a particular time and the last time nvidia launched a 'big' die gpu on a new process for the more volume cards (the xx80 cards) in the form of the gtx480 it was late, hot, power hungry and a relatively poor example of what the process (Fermi) was capable of as shown by the refined 580 that followed it!

Nvidia leant their lesson... Maybe if amd did likewise instead of wasting their time with things like HBM then customers would have better competition especially towards the performance end of the market.

Back
Top Bottom