• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

Associate
Worst case scenario I see I stock available for gamers declines and prices continue to rise, basically ending gaming GPUs for consumers for a time. PC gaming will strat resorting to IGP and low end stuff, stagnating any graphical progress. games consoles will shine though. Nvidia and AMD will be all to happy selling very expensive mining focused GPUs. Longer term1 or 2 things will happen. Mining will either collapse, or technology will change and more dedicated mining hardware will work out far betetr for mining We saw this in the past with ASICs, and it seems Nvidia is working on product differentiation. At that point PC gaming will see a revival.

And the stagnation may not be serve. Console keep fixed hardware for + years but due to better and better optimizations graphics gets better. the PC gaming could see similar improvements. PC devs tend to spend less resources optimizing because PCs are faster, and during the life cycle of game development GPUS get much faster. If those factors are removed there are much greater rewards for devs that put more focus on optimization. DX1/Vulkan might see an uptick in popularity because the additional work and costs required will result in better graphics.

Well the word is that prices are not coming down soon. Unless there are a ton of cryptocurrency crashes. Even the current drops aren't likely to affect prices until the end of this year. This means that there is a distinct possibility that NVIDIA could be launching the new GPU's and we won't be able to get hold of any ~ without a second mortgage. I suppose it's possible though that this is why they aren't launching them right now. It would fall very flat if they launch new GPU's and no one can actually afford them. I gather one of the things causing a shortage is not GPU's rather it's DRAM which is largely being used up by Apple and Samsung for smartphones, both of which are prepared to pay top prices. Either way, though, it's really messing with the PC market.

Last edited:
Associate
Nvidia is just going to limit production output though, the hard and painful truth is it's not in Nvidia's commercial interests to sell high volume for low margins they will do whatever suits them despite what is said in press releases.

In practice that means 4K and VR gaming is on hold for mainstream imho, I hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it for another year atleast.

Caporegime
Nvidia is just going to limit production output though, the hard and painful truth is it's not in Nvidia's commercial interests to sell high volume for low margins they will do whatever suits them despite what is said in press releases.

In practice that means 4K and VR gaming is on hold for mainstream imho, I hope I'm wrong but that's how I see it for another year atleast.

Nvidia are doing the opposite and increasing production volume.

Caporegime
We shall see, I don't trust the tech news anymore way too much PR & marketing

Demand is outstripping supply. Nvidia are loosing market to AMD because supply is being taken up by Miners. rest assured, nvidia will be doing everything possible to increase supply but there are limits. You can't suddenly double production volume. Wafer orders at the fabs can have 6-12 month lead times. And increasing supply wont make gaming PGUS that much cheaper because the demand form mining is so large.

best thing to happen will be if as rumored Nvidia really do sell a dedicated mining card that has noticeably better performance per watt for mining and shorter pay-back time.

Tim

Soldato
Indeed, nothing is known for certain at this point.

Hell the theory that they are going to abandon convention and call the midrange flagship the GTX2080 instead of GTX1180 is just a rumor.

There arent really any conventions, they've chopped and changed naming rules all over the show over the years. They've been back and forth between 3 and 4 digit product names literaly from one generationto the next at times.

Soldato
There arent really any conventions, they've chopped and changed naming rules all over the show over the years. They've been back and forth between 3 and 4 digit product names literaly from one generationto the next at times.
They have changed many times over the years yes but they have also been using the current naming convention since 2009 when the 100 series took over from the 9000 series. If they change to 20x0 instead of 11x0 as rumored it will be the first change of format in almost a decade.

Soldato
They have changed many times over the years yes but they have also been using the current naming convention since 2009 when the 100 series took over from the 9000 series. If they change to 20x0 instead of 11x0 as rumored it will be the first change of format in almost a decade.

Its not really a change though, 980 was the end of that series, the last time they used 4 digits they exactly did change the first character e.g. 4800 5800 6800 etc. The 1080 was a new begining and we've yet to see officially how they are going to go, but based on past performance i would be more surprised if we saw 1180 1280 1380 etc. than a jump in thousands which is what they did last time round.

Soldato
Its not really a change though
It will/would be, like I said the current system has been in place since 2009. If they go from 1000 to 2000 instead of 1100 as is rumored it will break nearly a decade of continuous numbering conventions since the 100 series followed on from the 9000 series in 2009.

Soldato
It will/would be, like I said the current system has been in place since 2009. If they go from 1000 to 2000 instead of 1100 as is rumored it will break nearly a decade of continuous numbering conventions since the 100 series followed on from the 9000 series in 2009.

Yes but following that logic the 4 digit system immediately before the 100 series followed the thousands increment, so it would be a continuation of a system thats been around since 2002

Associate
I remember the last thread we had like this (for Vega) was hundreds of pages long with folks going off the walls for any legit info. So do these 31 pages contain anything official or is this a load of pot, cos April is almost here and I've heard jackall about new Nvidia consumer GPUs. Not that I'd ever be interested in buying one anyway, what with GPP and all...

Back
Top Bottom