• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA announces DLDSR (Deep Learning Dynamic Super Resolution), coming to GeForce drivers on Jan 14

Caporegime
NVIDIA DEV CUDA DRIVER 511.23 / DLDSR INCLUDED

Discussion
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-dev-cuda-driver-511-23-dldsr-included.441429/#post-5982126

OniKeaton " Driver have new option in CPL for enabling DLDSR on RTX line gpus, so a day faster if you want to try new option. So, I stripped the CUDA stuff and effectively made 511.23 a standard NVIDIA driver release (590.7 MB compressed)"

DOWNLOAD MODIFIED DRIVERS (Early test before the officials!)

Caporegime
Drivers have installed perfectly on my RTX 2070 super, here's the new mode below :)

Clipboard02.jpg

Soldato
You literally just described what compromise means.

It's not a compromise if the IQ is almost the same, it's technically a compromise, but no one cares if the end result is at the same point.

But lets face it, ever system has a "compromise", look at the almighty Series X console owners gush about and some even think it's as fast as a 3090, that has lots of compromise.

Associate
It's not a compromise if the IQ is almost the same, it's technically a compromise, but no one cares if the end result is at the same point.

But lets face it, ever system has a "compromise", look at the almighty Series X console owners gush about and some even think it's as fast as a 3090, that has lots of compromise.

That dude is not worth the effort. He has some elitism complex and doesn't understand how DLSS or quality settings work, just that only Pro Gamers spend hours tweaking settings to get a worse result than a 1-click solution.

Associate

You need to read a dictionary on the word max and compromise, that's really it.

Associate
That dude is not worth the effort. He has some elitism complex and doesn't understand how DLSS or quality settings work, just that only Pro Gamers spend hours tweaking settings to get a worse result than a 1-click solution.
You assume worse result coming from someone that's likely doesn't touch setting in game, so how would you know?

Associate
You assume worse result coming from someone that's likely doesn't touch setting in game, so how would you know?

You've provided zero data proving any point; you're just arguing for the sake of arguing and because you have no real value to add.

Soldato
You need to read a dictionary on the word max and compromise, that's really it.

Think you just need to stop insisting on 4k like it's some OCD and the internal resolution must be at the same as display output resolution to qualify as max settings, this isn't the Guinness Book of World Records. If the IQ at 4k native is almost the same as IQ at lower rendering res due to DLSS, then no one cares if it isn't the maximum resolution. The settings are still maxed, the resolution is different, you might aswell say, "well your monitor isn't 4k so it doesn't count as max settings", resolution is separate from graphical settings. It's literally in games, graphical settings and display settings are separate. Have you just jumped off PC Builders Community on FB? Some really elitist people on there that just can't understand anything reasonable.

Soldato
What the f has this all got to do with DLDSR?

It always turns into handbags at 10 paces on this forum regardless of the topic, You said this, He said that, You then said this, He quoted that.... The subject could be "The Finer Points of Hedgehog Shaving" and pettiness would still break out.

Associate
What the f has this all got to do with DLDSR?

He's saying that DL scaling technologies are useless and that you should just play with quality settings otherwise you're a pleb console gamer. He's yet to provide any data on this though.

It's obviously person preference as both have their merits. DL scaling is the future though.

Soldato
My inexact early testing shows DLDSR to be a decent increase in performance over DSR, using precisely one game so far.

3080FE, 1440p monitor, The Witcher 3 ultra quality running 2.25x DSR (ie 3840x2160) with the 4K texture pack would result in 80-90fps

now with DLDSR it’s in the 90-105fps range, generally.

Soldato
So not quite the 2x efficiency we were led to believe.

I tested it with Tomb Raider 2013 and I got just over half the frame rate compared to my my monitor's native 1440p. That result is only about 10% higher than running at 4K native.

Edit: Just tested it again with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Native 1440p I get 144fps (vsync), standard DSR (2.25x) I get 110fps and with DLDSR (2.25x) I get 111fps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just reading the thread over on guru3d, there are suggestions that DLDSR x2.25 should be same speed as DSR x2.25 but with x4 image quality.

I’ve only spent about 10minutes with the Witcher 3 and I don’t really pixel peep, but I couldn’t really tell much difference in iq between DSR 2.25 and DLDSR 2.25, but I’ve definitely seen an increase in performance with this one game.

I guess I’ll wait for the hardware YouTube channels to do their analysis to find out what the real result of DLDSR is

Soldato
So not quite the 2x efficiency we were led to believe.

I tested it with Tomb Raider 2013 and I got just over half the frame rate compared to my my monitor's native 1440p. That result is only about 10% higher than running at 4K native.

Edit: Just tested it again with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Native 1440p I get 144fps (vsync), standard DSR (2.25x) I get 110fps and with DLDSR (2.25x) I get 111fps.
I don't think there was a claim that it was going to directly boost performance over standard DSR. Just that it would provide higher image quality at the same level of performance. So comparing 2.25x DSR vs 2.25x DLDSR you'd get the same performance, but image quality more equivalent to 4x DSR with the latter.

Associate
Can't say I am noticing any performance uplift in dark souls 3 , it has a 60FPS hard cap in place but i would have expected the GPU usage to drop if it was actually more efficient as they say , from my findings it is as expensive as running normal 2.25X DSR but does seem to look a little better using the DLDSR version ... a few comparison screen shots below with gpu usage etc .

4K Native (3840x2160) 43% GPU usage
Dark-Souls-III-Screenshot-2022-01-14-16-45-46-56.png

6k DSR (5760x3240) 87% GPU usage
Dark-Souls-III-Screenshot-2022-01-14-16-45-11-85.png

6k DLDSR (5760x3240) 85% GPU usage
Dark-Souls-III-Screenshot-2022-01-14-16-49-42-94.png

8k DSR (7680x4320) 100% GPU usage ( FPS hit )
Dark-Souls-III-Screenshot-2022-01-14-16-46-17-71.png

Caporegime
Tried this for 7 days to die, when applying resolution, it doesn't save and just defaults back to 3440x1440, forza 5 seems fine though, comparisons:

1V13gad.jpg

XkvCAR1.jpg

5mMzGNP.jpg

Soldato
How are the DLDSR resolutions shown in Windows worked out?

On a 4K monitor, the new DLDSR resolutions that are enabled for me are:
5120 x 2880
5760 x 3240

Mine runs like crap btw, in the Witcher 3, on a RTX 3070.

It seems like we need some more options to scale at a lower multiplier. Couldn't Nvidia add some options to enable DLDSR resolutions below the desktop resolution, or just above the desktop resolution?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom