• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA announces DLDSR (Deep Learning Dynamic Super Resolution), coming to GeForce drivers on Jan 14

Associate
So I had a go on it using Prey and also Tomb Raider. You can't get it to work on 8K as there is no 4.00X multiplier for DL Scaling.

What was weird however was even using 1.78x DL performance would tank a lot. Seemed same performance as Legacy if I was to take a guess based on percentages. I did to a clean install of Nvidia drivers though, so could be something that is required to make it work was not installed.

Nice feature, but I do not think I will be needing it for anything I am playing currently anyway and by the time I do it may improve and would be good if they offered a 4.00X DL option for we can test 8K :D

You can test at 8K using legacy DSR at X4 if your native res is 4k as long as you have the VRAM available as both the games you tried require 12.5+GB to run at 8k so best tried on a 3090 . The cost of using DLDSR is the same as using DSR but the performance increase comes from the fact you are getting better picture quality using DLDSR which is akin to the picture quality of DSR 4x but at the cost of DSR 2.25x, so 2.25x DSR and 2.25x DLDSR will have the same performance hit on the GPU but the DLDSR will be outputting a better picture than doesn't cost as much as 4x DSR :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You can test at 8K using legacy DSR at X4 if your native res is 4k as long as you have the VRAM available as both the games you tried require 12.5+GB to run at 8k so best tried on a 3090 .
Yeah, I did see the 4X but that was just plain old Legacy DSR so I did not bother. I think I misunderstood how it worked then. I thought say 2.25x DLDSR was the final image quality, but you got a much lower penalty in performance. That makes sense with the performance hit I got then. So what exactly would 2.25x DLDRS equal to in DSR image quality I wonder? :)

Associate
Yeah, I did see the 4X but that was just plain old Legacy DSR so I did not bother. I think I misunderstood how it worked then. I thought say 2.25x DLDSR was the final image quality, but you got a much lower penalty in performance. That makes sense with the performance hit I got then. So what exactly would 2.25x DLDRS equal to in DSR image quality I wonder? :)

If you want to sample actual 8K performance then legacy DSR 4x will give you exactly that and the performance hit then comes with it , what this new DLDSR 2.25x does is gives you the picture quality of DSR 4x ( 8K ) but at the GPU cost of DSR 2.25x ( your GPU will be rending a 6K workload ) , in some scenes DLDSR 2.25x will actually look better than DSR x4 while in other scenes it may not look quite as good , the DF video has a good explanation of this . i posted some comparison shots of DS3 in this thread and you can see DSR 2.25x and DLDSR 2.25x will have the same load on the GPU for any given frame give or take a few % but the DLDSR picture will be the better of the 2 and more inline or better than the 4X DSR which comes at a heavy performance hit :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If you want to sample actual 8K performance then legacy DSR 4x will give you exactly that and the performance hit then comes with it , what this new DLDSR 2.25x does is gives you the picture quality of DSR 4x ( 8K ) but at the GPU cost of DSR 2.25x ( your GPU will be rending a 6K workload ) , in some scenes DLDSR 2.25x will actually look better than DSR x4 while in other scenes it may not look quite as good , the DF video has a good explanation of this . i posted some comparison shots of DS3 in this thread and you can see DSR 2.25x and DLDSR 2.25x will have the same load on the GPU for any given frame give or take a few % but the DLDSR picture will be the better of the 2 and more inline or better than the 4X DSR which comes at a heavy performance hit :)
Cheers for that explanation. I had only read the OP and just today started looking into this.

Associate
Cheers for that explanation. I had only read the OP and just today started looking into this.

Its a good feature to use on older games where you have excess GPU power to spare or another use case for it would be if you wanted to take a hi res screen shot ... even though the picture will be in your native resolution it will have all the extra detail visible that DLLDSR provides. On newer games this really isn't an option for most unless for some reason the game has a hard cap or you just wanted to play at al lower fps than native, you could enable this then also enable DLSS in games that support it and there is maybe a use case for it in that scenario just depends what your after and how much of a hit you are willing to take to performance for a visual improvement.

Permabanned
Tried it on Shadow Warrior 2... oddly optimized game, CPU limited no matter how far you push the resolution with my RTX 3070.

EDIT... I could have run it at 4K DLDSR, but I hate FPS lower than 90 in shooters so for me it is more of an FPS limit / refresh rate rather than it being unplayable.

This is on my M27Q 1440P 170hz screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting performance I've noticed in several games, Arkham Knight for example performs ever so slightly better at native 4K than it does at 4K DLDSR -

Native -

dvHf6TT.png

DLDSR -

0giLyqT.jpg

These numbers were quite repeatable too so it looks like DLDSR needs some work for older games to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Interesting performance I've noticed in several games, Arkham Knight for example performs ever so slightly better at native 4K than it does at 4K DLDSR -

Native -

dvHf6TT.png

DLDSR -

0giLyqT.jpg

These numbers were quite repeatable too so it looks like DLDSR needs some work for older games to take advantage of it.

Isn't DLDSR rendering at a higher resolution and then downsampling to native?

You should be able to turn off/reduce AA.

Soldato
Isn't DLDSR rendering at a higher resolution and then downsampling to native?

You should be able to turn off/reduce AA.

From my understanding DLDSR's sole purpose is to render at the target resolution you set in the driver, 4K in this instance, But it's meant to be better performing than native 4K which it doesn't seem to be in some of the games I've tested.

Last edited:
Soldato
Er..well it will perform worse surely.

DLDSR is for when you have performance to spare and want to have the game render at a higher than native resolution (1.75x & 2.25x) and then work its magic to downsample to your screens resolution. So you get a better quality image at the cost of performance, but not the true cost (I think).

Permabanned
My understanding is that -
  • DSR, Dynamic Super Resolution, will allow you to target a higher resolution and then down sample to native e.g. 8k > 4k.
  • DLDSR, Deep Learning DSR, will do the same as DSR while using AI, tensor, to produce the same quality with a lower target e.g. 6k > 4k.
Both techniques will reduce FPS when compared to native thus should be used in areas when you have higher FPS than desired. I've not tried either myself as my 3080 is still plugged in to a 3770k, although my 12900k is almost ready!

Soldato
From my understanding DLDSR's sole purpose is to render at the target resolution you set in the driver, 4K in this instance, But it's meant to be better performing than native 4K which it doesn't seem to be in some of the games I've tested.

It's not supposed be better performing than native, ideally it will be the same or with a very minor hit like in the screenshots you posted. It's supposed to *look* as good as using old DSR at a higher render resolution which is where the performance comparisons come from.

Soldato
It's not supposed be better performing than native, ideally it will be the same or with a very minor hit like in the screenshots you posted. It's supposed to *look* as good as using old DSR at a higher render resolution which is where the performance comparisons come from.

I thought the whole idea of DLDSR was to give you, For example, 4K render resolution but with better performance while keeping as much of the visual quality as possible ?

Soldato
I think the way nvidia presented it is a bit ambiguous and using something that was perhaps CPU limited at 1080p to make the perf seem better also.

'Our latest Game Ready Driver adds DLDSR (Deep Learning Dynamic Super Resolution), an AI-powered enhancement of NVIDIA DSR, which renders a game at higher, more detailed resolution before intelligently shrinking the result back down to the resolution of your monitor. This downsampling method improves image quality by enhancing detail, smoothing edges, and reducing shimmering.

DLDSR improves upon DSR by adding an AI network that requires fewer input pixels, making the image quality of DLDSR 2.25X comparable to that of DSR 4X, but with higher performance. DLDSR works in most games on GeForce RTX GPUs, thanks to their Tensor Cores. '

Man of Honour
Hi team - I'm playing around with these settings and I'm finding impossible to find an answer to what should be a basic / obvious question... so hoping you can help :)

With DLDSR enabled, do you need to change your monitor's resolution? I have a 4K display, I can see that when I turn on DLDSR, higher resolutions are made available in the windows display settings. Do I leave that as is? What about the resolution settings in game?

I'm probably being dense... help me @TNA :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Windows is a bag of weiners when it comes to selecting the DLDSR resolution, because it seems to want to only set 60Hz when you select it in Windows. So you have to actually select it in NVCP and then choose your native refresh rate etc there, which then applies fine.

JZI2rGU.png

Then you need to load the game, which then loads at the DLDSR resolution. This faffery of a process needs to be followed because this game does not have a native fullscreen option so you must change desktop resolution and refresh rate first, then change back when done gaming.

Reactions: TNA
Man of Honour
Thanks @mrk - well I'm truly stumped... did as you said, resolution in NVIDIA control panel set to 6144 x 3240 but then in game (Baldur's Gate 3) there is no option to play in a higher resolution than 4k :confused:

Edit - or again, am I just being thick... and you don't need to set it in game.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If the game doesn't have a fullscreen option then just doing the above and launching the game should load it automatically at the DSR resolution, there is no resolution to change in game and the ingame setting will probably show the wrong resolution even though it isn't at the wrong resolution.

If you take a screenshot or have an RTSS overlay, then the overlay will be smaller as it should be since it's being overlayed the higher DSR resolution, or the screenshot will be the DSR resolution too so you know it's working.

That's how it works on Starfield anyway, not played BG3 so can't say!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom