• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia announces RTX 2060, more powerful than GTX 1070 Ti at $350

Associate
why would you pay £350-400 for a brand new gpu and turn down textures, aa etc. makes no sense.

6gb was good and had headroom 3 years ago with the 1060, nowadays its just above the absolute minimum of 4gb.

6gb today is like the 1060 3gb when it release, it was just about good enough for the time but shows age real fast in a year or two and on some current games.

Associate
If next gen gen consoles arrive with 16GB ram, I think vram usage will shoot through the roof. At that point 8GB might not even be enough.

I'm hoping that Vega's HBCC will prove it's worth at that point.

Man of Honour
^^I think it makes sense if it makes a game perform better without having too much of an impact on the visuals. Ever since Crysis, and probably before, part of the problem with the gfx card industry is that people get all hot under the collar about what a setting is arbitrarily labelled as in the menu, feeling they have a divine right to have everything maxed out. This suppresses innovation because developers have little incentive to push the envelope, if they produce something demanding on current hardware they just get accused of having a 'badly optimsed' game because people don't judge graphics on merit, they judge them by whether it has been labelled as SUPER-DOOPER-ULTRA-EXTREME in the menu, oblivious to the fact they could have a great looking game at lower settings. What if someone released a game where the top texture setting used 25GB VRAM, would we really insist on maxing everything else and crippling performance, if it had a lower setting that looked almost as good and better than other games, using a much more sensible amount?

I have a card in the sort of price bracket you are talking about and I turn down AA in more demanding titles to keep framerates up, given I am typically GPU limited at 1440p.

Soldato
uh-oh

Dxw-dJ6XgAIu3c0.jpg

Soldato
why would you pay £350-400 for a brand new gpu and turn down textures, aa etc. makes no sense.

6gb was good and had headroom 3 years ago with the 1060, nowadays its just above the absolute minimum of 4gb.

6gb today is like the 1060 3gb when it release, it was just about good enough for the time but shows age real fast in a year or two and on some current games.

I dunno, I've looked at a bunch of reviews and don't see any evidence of the 2060 running out of vram with todays most demanding games, (edit: 4K aside which isn't really viable on a 2060 anyway). Admittedly that could change in a years time, but you can always sell it on.

Last edited:
Soldato
That video was back in November. That's a lifetime in RT. It'll all be working fine now :D.
Can't remember now when the improvements were made to the game. Was it before or after the vid?
Only noticed one oddity myself recently. Dying on one of the maps, Arras I think, the ground was very bright around my character when it wasn't when I was alive. Only seen it once mind.

Soldato
That video was back in November. That's a lifetime in RT. It'll all be working fine now :D.
Can't remember now when the improvements were made to the game. Was it before or after the vid?
Only noticed one oddity myself recently. Dying on one of the maps, Arras I think, the ground was very bright around my character when it wasn't when I was alive. Only seen it once mind.

I'm sure they're eager to call downgrades improvements but I wouldn't. That behaviour is still there.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32452488

Soldato

Very good results from the 2060, I was skeptical but now I have to come around a bit on this. Now it just needs to go down in price about £50 and it will be a great deal. ;)

Soldato
Very good results from the 2060, I was skeptical but now I have to come around a bit on this. Now it just needs to go down in price about £50 and it will be a great deal. ;)

I'm not saying it's a bad card (it isn't), but 40fps at 4k doesn't make me want to rush out and buy it.

Soldato
Why would you ever consider this card for 4K in the first place? Its not a 4k card, 2080ti is a card for 4k. This is squarely a 1080P card and nothing more.

You wouldn't consider a 1070 or even a 2070 for 4K and AAA games. Pointless statement....

Soldato
VRAM maxed out in a number of those tests, which means the engine will be automatically culling detail to fit it in the available memoey. Because the alternatives are either crash or run like crap.

Last edited:
Associate
Well im pleased with my 2060 FE. Seeing as i was going to buy Anthem anyway it was really a £299ish card. Considering when it was released i couldnt find much below the £210 mark for 1070's second hand on eBay, it felt like and still does feel like a good deal to me. Especially as mine overclocked is beating out a 1080 stock and very close to a 2070. I think as long as you arent playing at 4k, and with this card why would you, its great for the money.

Large upgrade from my RX570 anyway...

Soldato
I'm not saying it's a bad card (it isn't), but 40fps at 4k doesn't make me want to rush out and buy it.

True, I'm only talking about my own perspective on it.

Why would you ever consider this card for 4K in the first place? Its not a 4k card, 2080ti is a card for 4k. This is squarely a 1080P card and nothing more.

You wouldn't consider a 1070 or even a 2070 for 4K and AAA games. Pointless statement....

I'm playing with an rx 480 at 4K. Don't need unflinching 60 fps to enjoy them.

VRAM maxed out in a number of those tests, which means the engine will be automatically culling detail to fit it in the available memoey. Because the alternatives are either crash or run like crap.

Do you have anything on this? I've been suspecting this for some time but haven't seen any investigation on it.

Soldato
Do you have anything on this? I've been suspecting this for some time but haven't seen any investigation on it.

It's the only logical way around the problem. Once the memory is full a program will either crash or grind to a halt as it starts dumping the overflow in to virtual memory (hard disk).

They could lock off detail options (like Doom 2016 did), but then people cry because they can't select them on their potato. Or they can silently reduce detail without the user knowing. You'll find things like textures start to get less detailed and objects pop in where they don't on cards with more memory. At the same time FPS appears to be great, but that's because the detail is actually lower.

Back
Top Bottom