• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Could Tease Its Next-Gen Ampere GPU on 7nm at GTC 19

Soldato
Makes you wonder, could the 3080 ti double the (purely) RT performance of a 2080 ti? Or will it do the same 30-40% jumps just like with rasterised performance.

Caporegime
OP
If they can't get 22 yr old games back playable with RT, then maybe they should go even further back, like to the 70s, with the likes of Combat.

maxresdefault.jpg

See if they can get that to hit 60fps at 1080p with RT. :D

Might just manage it, if they DLSS the buggers as well :p

Caporegime
Even with RTX in quake 2 it just looks like a polished up turd and at 1440p you can't even maintain 60fps to boot. Is it just me or is this just a pointless exercise. A £600 card struggling in a game that looks so bad for this day and age just makes no sense to me.

Edit: Loadsa beat me to it.

I see Athlon had to try and blame AMD for the low fps. He can't post without AMD doing something wrong.

Ironic given his name :p

But yeah, hes usually on the whinge about and in one form or another.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Pmsl at Jokers vid, Ti getting 19fps at 4k hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Would link to it, but he swears, and quite a lot, cracking vid. :D

Just played it through myself. 27-28fps @ 4K, and it still looks crap. That was with whatever limited options there were maxed out.

Only decent thing is looking at the light when you shoot right across the map. And that’s it.

Not sure why they bothered TBH. Uninstalled already.

Caporegime
Just played it through myself. 27-28fps @ 4K, and it still looks crap. That was with whatever limited options there were maxed out.

Only decent thing is looking at the light when you shoot right across the map. And that’s it.

Not sure why they bothered TBH. Uninstalled already.

Honestly, i think Doom 3 is a game that could kind of benefit from rtx with the shadows and lighting it has. Would be more interested in seeing if anything could be done with that rather than a game like quake 2 that's really too old to see much benefit without making the game look totally different.

Soldato
4k at 20fps in a 20 year old game. Dont care what effects they've added to it, that performance is pathetic.

Dumb comment is dumb

Once you start changing stuff it's not a 20 year old anymore now is it

Skyrim is yonks old, but it will runs worse than this once you add 10gb of mods

Makes you wonder, could the 3080 ti double the (purely) RT performance of a 2080 ti? Or will it do the same 30-40% jumps just like with rasterised performance.

Does it matter - people are bitching about quake 2 at 4k running at 20fps on the most expensive gaming gpu today. Double that, they will still be complaining next year at 40fps - mark my words

Caporegime
Dumb comment is dumb

Once you start changing stuff it's not a 20 year old anymore now is it

Noob comment is Noob.

The underlying game is still 20+ years old no matter how many gimmicks get added to it to make it look "better". You can add whatever you want, doesn't change the fact it's still an old game being tarted up to look pretty, and even that's subjective.

Soldato
from what I’ve read all the system requirements suggest this version of the game is designed to run at 1080p - so if you’re pushing more that’s on you

Caporegime
I don't really know why Nvidia tried to promote Q2. As expected, people are bashing the looks and performance without a single clue what this actually means from a technical aspect.

Of course adding Global illumination to an old game doesn't magically add other modern effect, increase texture resolution or magically increase polygon count.

worse still, the game is designed around static lighting because that was the only technology available, so you never get to see the benefits of global illumination and RTX.

What users really need to take home is the light effecting used in Quake 2 originally took hours to compute per a level on a small cluster of computers, at very low resolution (often 16x16 per surface). Now Nvidia can do this is real-time at massively higher resolutions.

Soldato
Gave it a shot, never played these game before as it's well before my time

However I must say I can see the appeal, finished the first level and yeah it was fun

2080ti, getting me 80-90fps at 1080p and 50-60fps at 1440p. I also noticed that I was getting some sort of bottleneck as the GPU was never able to pull full power - it's constantly running at 80% of maximum power. Maybe the RTX cores are holding back and delaying the normal Cuda from operating at higher frequencies leading to lower than full performance in a game like this where every RTX feature is enabled

Back
Top Bottom