• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
Well that implementation of RTX certainly looks fabulous. Are we seeing DLSS as well in this? It isn't made clear but I'd not dispute RTX is
a big leap forward just whether the performance hit (never mind the astronomical price) is worth it.
DLSS combined with RTX in the previous Metro Exodus video certainly degrades the image quality so there seems to be a discrepancy somewhere
between two the videos. One with RTX and DLSS which is definitely blurry and looks **** and one where we have RTX on, where we may or may not have DLSS on
and it looks very crisp and clear.
DLSS looks to be responsible for the blurring, correct me if I'm wrong.

You have to read the notes on that video. Is sponsored by Nvidia and is using an RTX2080Ti.

------
@Poneros please you need to post the GPUs the videos are used, otherwise intentionally misleading (like Nvidia) the consumers. Is pointless to show RTX Titan and RTX2080Ti DLSS videos, and let the people believe that by buying a 2060 or 2070 will see the same graphics. They won't. Because DLSS quality is GPU dependent, and slower cards won't display the same quality even at same game settings with an RTX 2080Ti.

Nobody disagrees spending £1300 would show you somewhat good graphics with DLSS, but is misleading for all lesser cards.

Last edited:
Associate
The narrator stated they're using a 2080ti with RTX but he's a bit vague about whether or not DLSS (the subject of this thread) is also being used in what we're seeing. He says he gets acceptable 4K with RTX and high settings with 'AI' but doesn't specify whether the 4K footage we're seeing is using DLSS merely that he gets good fps at 4K maximum settings using DLSS. It seems carefully worded and as its Nvidia sponsored I can imagine it showcasing the very best results without being strictly honest about what we're seeing. A bit like the 1080ti FE demo Jenson showed with it steaming along at over 2000mhz. If that footage is using DLSS and RTX I'd say good job but is it? The other Metro Exodus footage with RTX AND DLSS stated as on seems much blurrier.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm I thought DLSS on F1 2019 was broken with patch 1.07 as developer Codemasters said DLSS was not supposed enabled in patch, it was not ready with current DLSS implementation is half finished now so full DLSS implementation will be in upcoming patch soon. But Codemasters released new patch 1.08 a few hours ago did not have full DLSS implementation yet.

I just saw F1 2019 on youtube with DLSS 4K and 5K enabled, I was surprised to see how good image quality DLSS is and the fences was not broken or missing textures accorded to overclock3d.net.

Interesting FidelityFX is worked fine on Nvidia cards but DLSS at around 130 fps is faster than 100 fps TAA with FidelityFX so FidelityFX image quality on Nvidia seemed better than FidelityFX on AMD Navi which had blurriness.

F1 2019 4K DLSS vs 4K FidelityFX on 9900K & RTX 2080 Ti

F1 2019 5K DLSS on 9900K & RTX 2080 Ti

Impressive 5K DLSS performance at around 90 fps but I would not find any F1 2019 8K DLSS clip yet, I will post it here when it will show up soon.

I guess F1 2019 is 3rd win for DLSS.

Not bad for half finished DLSS implementation. Will look forward to watch F1 2019 with full DLSS implementation at 8K soon.

Soldato
Been played Control last night tested DLSS and image quality is very impressed and it is now worked at all resolutions.

Control is 4th win for DLSS, now it getting much better and Nvidia can move on focus training on DLSS 2X for next gen GPU.

Well done Nvidia.

Soldato
Been played Control last night tested DLSS and image quality is very impressed and it is now worked at all resolutions.

Control is 4th win for DLSS, now it getting much better and Nvidia can move on focus training on DLSS 2X for next gen GPU.

Well done Nvidia.

4th win? DLSS just lost all credibility due to AMD RIS and now Nvidia's own sharpening which are both better options. R.I.P. DLSS it was a rocky ride while it lasted.

Soldato

Well done Nvidia.

Lol Amd came with a coffin and nvidia banged the nails DLSS is dead in the water.

It's clearly beaten by a much easier to use technology and better all it doesn't add cost to GPU manufacturing or developer cost.

DLSS is a money pit and complete failure! Nvidia doing what Nvidia does best marketing making it sound better than it really is.

Computer AI wow factor

Man of Honour
Lol Amd came with a coffin and nvidia banged the nails DLSS is dead in the water.

It's clearly beaten by a much easier to use technology and better all it doesn't add cost to GPU manufacturing or developer cost.

DLSS is a money pit and complete failure! Nvidia doing what Nvidia does best marketing making it sound better than it really is.

Computer AI wow factor

I really don't get where they went with DLSS - a lot of the original talk was about using AI to do super-sampling anti-aliasing at native resolution without the traditional performance hit of high levels of AA but that seems to have largely been pushed aside in pursuit of [intelligent] upscaling - for some reason people keep banding about downsampling with DLSS but it isn't a downsampling technology in its truest sense as it doesn't omit data from a higher resolution sample (either intelligently or unintelligently) but simply never has that data in the first place. DSR is more truly a downsampling technology that takes a higher resolution image and tries to reproduce it at a lower resolution while retaining the perception of as much of the original quality as possible. (albeit not done to save performance or bandwidth).

Back
Top Bottom