• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Caporegime
you'd think we'd get more detailed updates but the truth is we don't. Is it any wonder why we can't give ETAs...

You'd think that as one of nvidias leading partners they might just give you a bit of info.

I suppose that would require honesty and integrity from them, which they don't seem to have much of atm.

Associate
Wonderrun that was quick, nice one! glad you managed to snag a 6800xt I think a great card, although I ordered a 3080tuf oc at the time there were no amd ones out then as I may well have ordered the same as you I have a ryzen amd set up so would have been in keeping plus I could have used the turbo caching thing which is a thing on all amd set ups, good luck and hope you are pleased with your new baby! :) I'm now down to queue no 108 so hoping it won't be too long now!

Last edited:
Associate

I think I know the site you mean. I managed to get 9 @ 3060ti, it let you order up to 3 at a time and there were plenty left when I had finished. That was Saturday morning and they were delivered Sunday afternoon, for £4.95 per package. I got 7 Gigabyte and 2 MSI. They also had about a dozen RX6800XTs and a few RX6900Xts, but I already have a RX6900XT in my Hackintosh, just waiting for Apple to support it in Big Sur, hopefully.

Please note that these aren't for mining or selling on for a profit. 4 for the kids machines, 3 for other family members and 2 for friends. I contemplated getting 1 for myself as well but I have a 3070 on order from OCUK so I'll just wait for that. I could have got more but nobody else responded to my texts in time (about an hour or so - that will teach them to have a lie in on a Saturday morning ;)).

Cards are now coming up regularly on there and I have my orders from friends if I see them again.

Associate
You'd think that as one of nvidias leading partners they might just give you a bit of info.

I suppose that would require honesty and integrity from them, which they don't seem to have much of atm.

Nvidia supply the AIBs with 3080 GPU dies, and I think possibly GDDR6X memory as well, for custom cards. Nvidia won't have any control over how many cards of each individual 3080 SKU are manufactured.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff

The problem with most of these companies is a strict chain of command. Our Nvidia account manager is one of our closest friends in the industry, we've known him for over twenty years dating back to his days as the ABit country manager, but he's at least five people removed from the main decision makers and isn't briefed on everything. He can ask questions up the chain but there's no way to guarantee that he'll get a clear, honest answer.

The exact same issue exists for most of the Chinese/Taiwanese companies too. A political, need to know, approach is prevalent in those cultures. I wouldn't necessarily call it dishonest, it's a form of leak control. Ironically, I believe that most leaks come from the Chinese nearer to the top....

On top of this, I also believe that the inherent toxicity of online culture is driving even more privacy. If someone at MSI HQ for example, publicly said that they were shipping 1000 3080 this week. There'd be people saying that's not enough, people saying that it'll all end up with miners and people from pretty much every country demanding that their country would get the majority.
Generally, giving out information, especially relating to graphics cards right now, just triggers a backlash.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem with most of these companies is a strict chain of command. Our Nvidia account manager is one of our closest friends in the industry, we've known him for over twenty years dating back to his days as the ABit country manager, but he's at least five people removed from the main decision makers and isn't briefed on everything. He can ask questions up the chain but there's no way to guarantee that he'll get a clear, honest answer.

The exact same issue exists for most of the Chinese/Taiwanese companies too. A political, need to know, approach is prevalent in those cultures. I wouldn't necessarily call it dishonest, it's a form of leak control. Ironically, I believe that most leaks come from the Chinese nearer to the top....

On top of this, I also believe that the inherent toxicity of online culture is driving even more privacy. If someone at MSI HQ for example, publicly said that they were shipping 1000 3080 this week. There'd be people saying that's not enough, people saying that it'll all end up with miners and people from pretty much every country demanding that their country would get the majority.
Generally, giving out information, especially relating to graphics cards right now, just triggers a backlash.

@ScottiB As one grumpy old man to another, I can't disagree with one word. 30 years ago I worked for a major Japanese semiconductor manufacturer and the culture there was very similar. I remember production lines in UK being stopped because of shortages on certain parts. Where in the world had these parts had gone, were they just being kept for the domestic market. Getting accurate information was impossible.
Back then there was no online culture but the often just as toxic, bush telegraph was alive and well.

Why did I even ask MSI when I know they wont be forthcoming with any meaningful answer? Because I am a grumpy old man of course :)

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
@ScottiB As one grumpy old man to another, I can't disagree with one word. 30 years ago I worked for a major Japanese semiconductor manufacturer and the culture there was very similar. I remember production lines in UK being stopped because of shortages on certain parts. Where in the world had these parts had gone, were they just being kept for the domestic market. Getting accurate information was impossible.
Back then there was no online culture but the often just as toxic, bush telegraph was alive and well.

Why did I even ask MSI when I know they wont be forthcoming with any meaningful answer? Because I am a grumpy old man of course :)
I worked for MSI for a few years and back then they were a very open company. On my first day they asked me for my design opinion and I'd regularly have the opportunity to have a chat with one of the company VPs. My boss didn't care one bit if I bypassed him and worked with HQ and EU level managers.
To be frank, I left when the notebook side of the business started to close up, with HQ contacts demanding full control of EU marketing and social media activities. I can deal with being replaced if I'm doing a bad job, but not being cut out of the loop because I'm not Chinese. The component side of the business wasn't affected at the time and I was asked to stay, but I could see the cloud rolling in.

Associate
Can we please get an update for the zotac 3080 amp extreme as I still cannot get even an acknowledgement of its impending existence from zotac themselves let alone any idea on when into the 40xx 'super ti omg edition' series release cycle I might finally get what has been ordered because even if they said tomorrow it would still take a month to ship and god knows how long to get into the UK. Broken record I know but 5 months with if anything decreasing information and product pages being removed does cause concern which I believe is valid. @Gibbo @ScottiB

Associate
DPD order for the 3080 Strix OC was due today

Looks like someone at DPD nicked my card

it was sent out 5th of March and I’ve had literally ZERO updates since then

it just had to be me didn’t it?

very annoyed rn

Commissario
DPD order for the 3080 Strix OC was due today

Looks like someone at DPD nicked my card

it was sent out 5th of March and I’ve had literally ZERO updates since then

it just had to be me didn’t it?

very annoyed rn
I would say don't panic.
The 5th was Friday, depending on what time it shipped (IIRC after 7pm) it may not have been loaded onto the outgoing van until yesterday, and at the moment a lot of couriers are having delays, younger brother has been waiting on a UPS package since Thursday without any delivery date.

Give it another day or so then post in customer services with your order/shipping numbers if you've not received anything like an update from DPD or the tracking number doesn't show anything useful on the DPD site..

This assumes you're not in NI/Ireland.

Associate
Any news on the DPD shipping to Ireland issue.

apparently DHL are shipping to ireland and you can get your order swapped to ship from them instead of DPD. This is only if your order has not shipped, you will be refunded VAT and then have to pay this upon delivery with DHL. You need to contact customer service to get this changed.

Back
Top Bottom