• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
@Gibbo Was just wondering if the the Gaming OC's landed Friday or today? I understand if you are too busy to reply just curious :)

Seems my wait is over after 242 days of waiting :rolleyes: just received my shipping email this morning. So, hopefully I should have my Gigabyte Gaming OC tomorrow.

I hope you all receive your cards soon. Thanks @ScottiB and @Gibbo for babysitting us all :D and your patience with us too.

It would seem they landed today.

Associate
What RAM is best for the 3080 and Ryzen 5000?
Well for the RAM you have to look to hit a balance between RAM timing and frequency, I would say CL18 3600 is the sweet spot that won't break the bank but if you are a baller go for CL16 or even CL15 3600, also CL14 3200 is good too but pretty rare to come by

Associate
And as for capacity I would say 16GB is bare minimum and if you wanna go a bit more to "Future proof it" go with 32GB but even if you get 16 or 32 make sure to get 2 stick of 8GB or 16GB. Ryzen loves fast RAM and Dual Channel will give it better performance

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Well for the RAM you have to look to hit a balance between RAM timing and frequency, I would say CL18 3600 is the sweet spot that won't break the bank but if you are a baller go for CL16 or even CL15 3600, also CL14 3200 is good too but pretty rare to come by
You were doing SO WELL until you then said

Ryzen loves fast RAM
Don't confuse the question. Ryzen doesn't love "fast RAM". It loves 3600Mhz RAM with tight timings. It hates anything "faster". You could throw 4200Mhz in there and wonder where all your performance has gone.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I see no reason to upgrade my cl16 3200 kit, playing at 4k limits me to 60fps anyway
Nobody said that it was gimping your performance but that wasn't the question that was asked. Nobody asked'do you think Tramstop should upgrade his 3200Mhz RAM?' :cry::cry:

The simple fact is, for the negligible price difference, the best choice for anyone buying Ryzen 5000 series now is to buy 3600MHz

Associate
You were doing SO WELL until you then said
Haha, yeah you are right, I know and that's why I didn't mention anything above 3600 in the post.
I was hoping that they are asking a very surface level question to begin their research on RAM and that where everywhere you look they tell you that you should pair anything past 3600 (ideally) with Ryzen.
Or they could be that they know pretty much everything about it and made up their mind and they are just asking to confirm their findings.
But overall Yes, Don't get anything past 3600 because then you going backwards unless you are lucky with your CPU's memory controller and it can hit those 1900 or 2000 Infinity Fabric clock.

Associate
Thanks for the comments guys. I’ve decided to buy crucial ballistix RGB 16GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16, sadly the retailer I bought from has ran out of stock so I will wait and buy some more later. So I will end up having 4x8GB. Also would it be alright to buy used ram as I have seen someone selling used RAM cheaper online

Associate
Has anyone heard anything at all about the Ventus 3x 3080? I know OCUK's advice is to cancel but I'm curious as to whether anyone has even seen ANY at all moving around. Are they still even being used for SI allocation?

Associate
Has anyone heard anything at all about the Ventus 3x 3080? I know OCUK's advice is to cancel but I'm curious as to whether anyone has even seen ANY at all moving around. Are they still even being used for SI allocation?
I think gibbo said something about all people for Ventus should consider cancelling
Edit: no movement for the Ventus from what I’ve seen. Since MSI cancelled the gaming trio X wouldn’t be a surprise if they cancelled the Ventus too.

Associate
Thanks for the comments guys. I’ve decided to buy crucial ballistix RGB 16GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16, sadly the retailer I bought from has ran out of stock so I will wait and buy some more later. So I will end up having 4x8GB. Also would it be alright to buy used ram as I have seen someone selling used RAM cheaper online
Used ram is perfectly fine.

Associate
I think gibbo said something about all people for Ventus should consider cancelling
Edit: no movement for the Ventus from what I’ve seen. Since MSI cancelled the gaming trio X wouldn’t be a surprise if they cancelled the Ventus too.
Seems likely at this point, the main reason why I'm sticking around at the moment is for the prospect of a potential upgrade to a 3080 Ti. I really do hope that OCUK go ahead with this plan as it would be nice to walk away from this long queue with at least something to show for it.

Associate
scalper price for the RTX 3080 has dropped to about £1.4K on reselling sites. im feeling optimistic about the price and stock levels
Me too, it's great to see prices coming down and panic setting in within the reseller market. Interestingly enough the resell value on the RTX 3080 Ti is getting quite close to the 3080 which is funny.

Whilst we'll most likely never see MSRP prices for as long as the 3000 series is relevant, it's still nice to see prices lowering to a more realistic level.

Soldato
Me too, it's great to see prices coming down and panic setting in within the reseller market. Interestingly enough the resell value on the RTX 3080 Ti is getting quite close to the 3080 which is funny.

Whilst we'll most likely never see MSRP prices for as long as the 3000 series is relevant, it's still nice to see prices lowering to a more realistic level.
Good to see! Wonder what year old 3080's will be worth in September?

Associate
Seems likely at this point, the main reason why I'm sticking around at the moment is for the prospect of a potential upgrade to a 3080 Ti. I really do hope that OCUK go ahead with this plan as it would be nice to walk away from this long queue with at least something to show for it.
Another retailer is selling a 3080 Ti... for £1849 if your interested in that. And it’s a MSI Suprim X:cry:

Back
Top Bottom