• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
£800?! that's way below retailer cost. There's been no real indication of cost pricing coming down. In fact, this month the container shipping cost, which pre-covid was $1200, and a couple of months ago was $12,000 has now topped $20,000 :(

I'm not saying that's what they are paying for them, I'm saying that's what they are worth lol.

The problem with the 3080 is that some are not LHR, especially the founders edition so people who want them for mining will pay more for them than 3080 Ti's. Nvidia supposed to be helping with LHR cards but in reality its also causing some problems

Associate
£800?! that's way below retailer cost. There's been no real indication of cost pricing coming down. In fact, this month the container shipping cost, which pre-covid was $1200, and a couple of months ago was $12,000 has now topped $20,000 :(
I'm told the ship which was stuck blocking the Suez canal has had more of an effect on world shipping than people imagine, not least because it was impounded by the Egyptians with all 20 000 containers on board for at least 3 month.

Evergiven ran aground 23rd March and was only released by the Egyptians last week, 5th July It also had a knock on effect delaying other freight by a week as well. There are shortages of any number of goods, not least patio furniture which all seems to be last years stock and very little else and what does come available is quickly gone. This clearly is going to have had a knock on effect on the cost of shipping and probably been the cause of the container shortages as well.

Associate
Well holy god. It's actually happened. Just got shipping notification. Gigabyte gaming OC 3080.

By my own calculations I was somewhere in the teens. I was low 20s last time I got an email update but cards had come in since then.

Congrats mate!! My time is done, finally received my Asus Strix 3080 (OC). Feels surreal after such a long wait.

Like to send a cheeky little thanks to ScottiB and Gibbo ... But also best of luck to the ones not so lucky. You will be remembered!

Associate
Finaly got my hands on a 3080 today' Friend from the U.S managed to get me a EVGA FTW Ultra from the EVGA sign up program with shipping and insurance it cost me a total of £880 i was expecting an extra £150-£180 for tax but nope' Bloody bargain as he could have just sold it and dbld what he got from me' It did take 3 weeks to get here though sat in chicago for 18 days without any update we where actualy thinking it got stolen' But as soon as FedEX got a hold of it it was here within 6 days...

Associate
Got a cheeky wee queue update randomly midweek there.

Position 89 for the 3080 Eagle OC. Have moved 3 places in the last 3 weeks. Ordered on launch day and we’re now 299 days in…

Associate
Got a cheeky wee queue update randomly midweek there.

Position 89 for the 3080 Eagle OC. Have moved 3 places in the last 3 weeks. Ordered on launch day and we’re now 299 days in…
Which cards are actually making it to sellers seems like a complete lottery.

I see the rumours are starting about the 4000 series already, they're talking about doubling the performance of the current generation. Which is not good for anyone that just bought a 3000 series card, considering they are supposed to be out next year.

Associate
Yup same, queue update email arrived this morning. Still #15 in queue for asus tuf 3080 non oc. Over 2 months now with no movement.

It's been nothing but OC versions of Asus cards for months now... Any word on some of these non oc coming in?

Associate
Also got an email this morning, Strix 3080 OC going from 59 to 45 in almost a month.

Congrats mate!! My time is done, finally received my Asus Strix 3080 (OC). Feels surreal after such a long wait.

With this post in mind it looks like another case where cards are being delivered to OCUK on short notice and subsequently not getting written up by Gibbo (which is what it is, not a complaint, that's whatever), so I'm curious as to how many were cancellations and how many are fulfilled orders. Still, it's nice to be under the 50 mark now, so time to just cross my fingers and hope I see it within 3 months - it's possible! - and that the LHR line doesn't end up cancelling older queues outright.

Associate
Went from 37 to 23 on Palit Gaming Pro 3080, some nice movement there, hopefully, the stock continues with a bit more frequency. Enough movement I would suggest to rule out cancellations being the cause. I'm now at 7.82 months since ordering.

Associate
Overclockers.co.uk: Queue Position of Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming 10GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card

Comment: Again, according to latest shipping details, no cards of this type have been shipped for a while so the change is almost certain to be cancellations.

As there's been an approximate four week gap in queue position updates the recent spike of "46" can be averaged out to about 10 per week. This is roughly in keeping with the overall trend.

Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fQ7GlVhIP_YNjFJQYFvE5a-6H1Ywnw7aacjRfLNn_tE/edit?usp=sharing

oimg

Associate
Was surprised that an update came through today so thanks to whoever is in charge of that, moved down from 50th to 49th for the eagle oc. I'm guessing this is because of the 1 card that came in the other week and that there have been no cancelations.

Associate
Which cards are actually making it to sellers seems like a complete lottery.

I see the rumours are starting about the 4000 series already, they're talking about doubling the performance of the current generation. Which is not good for anyone that just bought a 3000 series card, considering they are supposed to be out next year.

Oh, give over, every single blurb/rumor/speculative article concerning PC parts since time immemorial, has claimed to double the performance of its predecessor. It’s the first thing besides the name that anyone ever says.

The reality is, more often than not they’re never even close 200% performance of their predecessor, it’s more like +50% in most cases... Moore’s law states that electronics components double power their performance every two years, and Moore’s law is expected to continue to be true until after 2025... Thus, unless 4080/3080Super launch is a full year or more away (doubt it the way they are going), it cant be double the power unless it’s significantly more expensive than the 3080/Ti too. Maybe twice the VRAM next time, but not twice the performance... 30 series launch prices were clearly cheaper than they could realistically afford to sell them lol, look what happened lol.

And like... The 4080 launch doesn’t make a 3080 or 3080Ti less impressive. Even if it did have double the power of anyones shiny new 3080, they’d still have like the fourth fastest GPU in the world, and a better GPU than 90% of people. That’s nothing to sniff at. Why do people act like new pc components coming out makes their own obsolete? Stop wishing your life and money away anticipating the next thing. Nvidia don’t care if you buy it, hype about it or even like it, someone else will. Their name literally means envy - let that sink in.

People said all this same stuff about 3080Ti rumors end of last year in this exact thread and that largely turned out to be bunk too. Like 2-4% gain per £100 spent... People have gotten so used to phone contracts and launch performance lies, that they think their devices need replacing constantly now. No wonder the e-waste/climate situation is tipping...

Associate
Oh, give over, every single blurb/rumor/speculative article concerning PC parts since time immemorial, has claimed to double the performance of its predecessor. It’s the first thing besides the name that anyone ever says.
I don't think they have been claiming they'd get double. Maybe 50%, but usually 25-30% as far as I can remember. The next generation of cards from Nvidia is supposed to bring a big jump, it's a new 5nm process which will bring big improvements by default.

Soldato

The reality is, more often than not they’re never even close 200% performance of their predecessor, it’s more like +50% in most cases... Moore’s law states that electronics components double power their performance every two years, and Moore’s law is expected to continue to be true until after 2025... Thus, unless 4080/3080Super launch is a full year or more away (doubt it the way they are going), it cant be double the power unless it’s significantly more expensive than the 3080/Ti too. Maybe twice the VRAM next time, but not twice the performance... 30 series launch prices were clearly cheaper than they could realistically afford to sell them lol, look what happened lol.

And like... The 4080 launch doesn’t make a 3080 or 3080Ti less impressive. Even if it did have double the power of anyones shiny new 3080, they’d still have like the fourth fastest GPU in the world, and a better GPU than 90% of people. That’s nothing to sniff at. Why do people act like new pc components coming out makes their own obsolete? Stop wishing your life and money away anticipating the next thing. Nvidia don’t care if you buy it, hype about it or even like it, someone else will. Their name literally means envy - let that sink in.

People said all this same stuff about 3080Ti rumors end of last year in this exact thread and that largely turned out to be bunk too. Like 2-4% gain per £100 spent... People have gotten so used to phone contracts and launch performance lies, that they think their devices need replacing constantly now. No wonder the e-waste/climate situation is tipping...
Nvidia have to push performance for next gen else AMD will overtake them not to mention they will be competing with all the cheap ampere cards being sold off by miners when ETH goes POS so will need big gains to entice buyers to pay big money.

Rumours point to 4000 being on TSMC 5nm so should be a big jump over Samsung 8nm which is barely any better than TSMC 12nm.

Soldato
had 3080 FE notifications this morning, but no joy for me :( All gone by the time i got through the I am human picture checks.

oh well, maybe next week/month/year

I'd rather that than what happened to me - got all details in and bank approval, then declined... Gutted. Now to wait for next drop.

Associate
I don't think they have been claiming they'd get double. Maybe 50%, but usually 25-30% as far as I can remember. The next generation of cards from Nvidia is supposed to bring a big jump, it's a new 5nm process which will bring big improvements by default.

I’m not saying nvidia or anyone reputable claims double, I’m saying that’s what the RUMORS always claim. It’s always speculation until actual details leak, and some SKUs don’t make it to market at all, like the original cancelled 20GB 3080Ti, so there’s no point speculating or worrying about the next card coming along.

I have no doubt that that the 5nm process will make for more significant gains, but the point stands, regardless of how powerful (or not) the “4080” is, it doesn’t take away from the fact that the existing higher end 30-series cards mop the floor with everything else atm.

I’ve always thought only a fool upgrades to a cutting edge computer standard on its launch. It’s better to wait a generation between, so that Moore’s law can catch up, and you get something with stable drivers and all the bugbears and caveats known. I only bought a 3080 on launch because I had the cash spare, I’ve never bought a GPU on launch before and never will again.

But if and when my 3080 ever does arrive; you won’t catch me trying to switch to a 4080 even if it turns out to be four times as fast. It’s like getting overtaken by an impatient driver in a sports car on a b-road. They still end up stuck at the same junction as you 10 miles down the road. All they’re doing is wasting fuel lol.

edited for clarity*

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m not saying nvidia or anyone reputable claims double, I’m saying that’s what the RUMORS always claim. It’s always speculation until actual details leak, and some SKUs don’t make it to market at all, like the original cancelled 20GB 3080Ti, so there’s no point speculating or worrying about the next card coming along.

I have no doubt that that the 5nm process will make for more significant gains, but the point stands, regardless of how powerful (or not) the “4080” is, it doesn’t take away from the fact that the existing higher end 30-series cards mop the floor with everything else atm.

I’ve always thought only a fool upgrades to the cutting edge computer standard on its launch. It’s better to wait a generation between, so that Moore’s law can catch up, and you get something with stable drivers and all the bugbears and caveats known. I only bought a 3080 because I had the cash spare, I’ve never bought a GPU on launch before and never will again.

But if and when my 3080 ever does arrive; you won’t catch me trying to switch to a 4080 even if it turns out to be four times as fast. It’s like getting overtaken by an impatient driver on a b-road. They still end up stuck at the same junction as you 10 miles down the road. All they’re doing is wasting fuel lol.
Obviously it's down to a personal preference in how often you upgrade and now that prices have gone up on cards like a 3080 and seems as it's almost been out a year now then it will also make some people who haven't been fortunate enough to get one and at a decent price to think sod it and just hold off another year.

I was lucky enough to get a 3080 at release so I've already had the benefit of a almost a years use while I've also made enough while mining in the downtime to make a 4000 series a free upgrade so it's a no brainer for me to upgrade rather than stick with a card that has seen heavy use and will only have a year or less warranty left.

Back
Top Bottom