• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I'm told the ship which was stuck blocking the Suez canal has had more of an effect on world shipping than people imagine, not least because it was impounded by the Egyptians with all 20 000 containers on board for at least 3 month.

Evergiven ran aground 23rd March and was only released by the Egyptians last week, 5th July It also had a knock on effect delaying other freight by a week as well. There are shortages of any number of goods, not least patio furniture which all seems to be last years stock and very little else and what does come available is quickly gone. This clearly is going to have had a knock on effect on the cost of shipping and probably been the cause of the container shortages as well.
I know, we have some stock on that ship! needless to say, it's a bit late :cry::cry: However, the main issue for us are the ports on the Eastern Chinese coast. They are to incredibly busy that they can charge whatever they like and still have more than enough demand. There's no real alternative but to pay up, since the only other option is not to ship the goods.

Associate
I was lucky enough to get a 3080 at release so I've already had the benefit of a almost a years use while I've also made enough while mining in the downtime to make a 4000 series a free upgrade so it's a no brainer for me to upgrade rather than stick with a card that has seen heavy use and will only have a year or less warranty left.

See now that makes sense, I respect that. You got 3080 on launch, and have gamed and mined on it for almost a year already, the warranty will soon be up, and it basically paid for itself already, so anticipating the 40 series makes perfect sense for you.

It’s worrying about the next launch when people don’t already have a 30 series that I find ridiculous. I just don’t understand the stigma. People act like the release of new components makes the older ones irrelevant, but new components are released all year every year, it’s not a seasonal industry - people just seem to think it is, because announcing tech at annual conferences became such a big thing. And anyone cancelling their order in light of a newer release is basically just asking to jump into another queue that will be even longer, since the 5nm will be even more scarce lol. It makes me laugh how Nvidia can’t seem to put 3080 or 3090 in peoples hands but they just managed to put almost seven-hundred 48GB a6000s in their new supercomputer right here in the UK. But I digress.

I’m stuck with an EVGA 960 SSC, saved for months to afford a 3080 in the first place, paid in full in October and still waiting. I basically have a zero interest savings account with the bank of OCUK lol. If I can survive in 2021 with a 2GB card from 2015, I’m sure I’ll do just fine in 2023 with a 10GB card from 2020, the rest of my rig is solid. I won’t be buying another new GPU after this one til my next rig, when motherboards with next generation chipsets and DDR5 support become standard, and no way in hell am I making that jump on the first of such components I see. :cry:

Associate
It’s worrying about the next launch when people don’t already have a 30 series that I find ridiculous.
I'll be sticking with the 3080 long past the 4000 series release because I'm cheap that way. This was my first time going up to the **80 card, it was the most I've ever spent on one PC component. It's still a bit annoying to spend so much money for the latest tech only to find out it will be replaced in a few months with something that will probably get much better bang per buck.

I need as much horsepower as I can get to run my racing sim in VR. This 3080 will still struggle to do what I want it to do. If the 4000 series can give me the performance I need then I'll still be tempted.

Associate
I'll be sticking with the 3080 long past the 4000 series release because I'm cheap that way. This was my first time going up to the **80 card, it was the most I've ever spent on one PC component. It's still a bit annoying to spend so much money for the latest tech only to find out it will be replaced in a few months with something that will probably get much better bang per buck.

I need as much horsepower as I can get to run my racing sim in VR. This 3080 will still struggle to do what I want it to do. If the 4000 series can give me the performance I need then I'll still be tempted.

Same really, most I’ve ever paid for any computer part, my first x80, and more power than I actually need. I ordered it mainly for work. A 960 ain’t exactly ideal for me in 2021, but I gotta make do atm, I don’t currently own another dedicated GPU, and I refuse to pay scalped prices for a second-hand card as a stop-gap. I greatly look forward to receiving my 3080 but I agree that it will be somewhat of a hollow victory ordering something so expensive just for it to be superseded, but that feeling already came and went with 3080Ti, and this generation the x80 variant was already second fiddle at launch, so I’m not so bothered so much. It is what it is. At this stage I’ll just be happy to receive my card at all. :D

40 series will most certainly tempt me. High-end cards always have. But 3090 wasn’t worth its MSRP, neither is 3080TI, and now nvidia knows people are willing to pay 3 grand for an air-cooled GPU, the chances of a 4080 FE coming out at a £650 MSRP like the 3080 FE did is so slim lol. It will be over £1000 without a shadow of a doubt, as last I heard, a 3080TI FE bought direct from Team Green themselves costs just under £1100.

Associate
40 series will most certainly tempt me. High-end cards always have. But 3090 wasn’t worth its MSRP, neither is 3080TI, and now nvidia knows people are willing to pay 3 grand for an air-cooled GPU, the chances of a 4080 FE coming out at a £650 MSRP like the 3080 FE did is so slim lol. It will be over £1000 without a shadow of a doubt, as last I heard, a 3080TI FE bought direct from Team Green themselves costs just under £1100.
The 3090 is probably a great card if you need one. 99% of people don't. They are saying the 4000 series is going to be more expensive (by a hundred or so, shouldn't hit 1000), require even more power and I would guess generate more heat as a result.

Being a whole new type of chip may mean it's going to have teething issues too.

Soldato
just saw a RTX 3090 palit gaming pro oc online for £882.00

Be very careful of the scams on amazon, that is where you saw that and has been going on a good while.. Its sold by a 3rd party seller not amazon and says they are based in germany/italy/romania etc and if you look them up they are stealing other companies details and if you check the sellers other items they sell they are all in demand items at silly low prices and all scams, no feeback and new setup it will say, because amazon can't seem to figure out how to block these idiots and their bots that upload 1000's of items to sell in minutes and create a new store front. Reported many of these scammers on there but amazon takes their time to remove them and when they do they have already setup many more store fronts there. Amazon is like ebay now.. so be aware of 3rd party sellers there.

Associate
I missed out on an 3080 FE drop earlier on today. Got the GPU into the checkout, tried to pay and my bank halted the transaction as a random security check.... they took nearly 30 minutes to call me to check to see if it was a valid transaction and by then they'd all been sold. Gutted :(

Back
Top Bottom