• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
wish i could get a 3080 at a reasonable price but everyone got there cards same price as ebay. I know there is a shortage that everyone keeps going on about and prices of shipping due to brexit so they keep saying. moan over p.s i feel your pain guys.

Soldato
wish i could get a 3080 at a reasonable price but everyone got there cards same price as ebay. I know there is a shortage that everyone keeps going on about and prices of shipping due to brexit so they keep saying. moan over p.s i feel your pain guys.
Meanwhile Sony is turning a profit on the PS5 which @£450 has a 36CU's + 8 zen 2 cores, 16gb GDDR6 and a 900gb gen 4.0 Nvme and shipping in a box which is 5x the volume of a GPU box yet AMD are charging £430 for just a 32CU GPU with 8gb GDDR6.

Consumers are getting rinsed on Gpus and the companies are making huge profits and while prices of components and shipping have risen these companies are exploiting the situation by not just raising prices to cover these costs but adding another 50% on top for themselves.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Meanwhile Sony is turning a profit on the PS5 which @£450 has a 36CU's + 8 zen 2 cores, 16gb GDDR6 and a 900gb gen 4.0 Nvme and shipping in a box which is 5x the volume of a GPU box yet AMD are charging £430 for just a 32CU GPU with 8gb GDDR6.

Consumers are getting rinsed on Gpus and the companies are making huge profits and while prices of components and shipping have risen these companies are exploiting the situation by not just raising prices to cover these costs but adding another 50% on top for themselves.

Where do you get your data? some inside source? or, as usual, is it based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the console gaming model?

For years it's been accepted that consoles are sold as a loss leader since (with the exception of the Nintendo Switch, which was sold at a small profit). PS5 and the Xbox Series are no different.

This year Sony announced record revenues earlier this year but profits dropped 33%, which proves MY point perfectly. It makes total sense if you think about it, for a relatively small loss they are tying their customer base into a premium, exclusive model of live subscriptions and digital game sales. The PS5 launch was an insanely costly process for Sony but it doesn't matter if they lose a few hundred million selling the hardware when they make tens of BILLIONS on after sale services.

Associate

Feel you've hit the nail on the head there! so bloody greedy it makes my blood boil! this is the wonderful society we now live in, don't get me wrong the good ones still outweigh the bad but everybody in business these days are just charging the crap out of everbody and they are allowed to get away with it because there is no one body that can say, hold on, the prices you are charging for that are bloody ludicrous, knock 40% of, or your right to sell will be restricted, to have any item come out with a fixed msrp and then doubled or trebled because of shortages or supply constraints is absurd, but that's what we have now, the cascade effect then sets and we are where we are now getting ripped off left, right and centre, not just in pc parts but in every area, where they can get away with it.:eek:

Soldato
Where do you get your data? some inside source? or, as usual, is it based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the console gaming model?

For years it's been accepted that consoles are sold as a loss leader since (with the exception of the Nintendo Switch, which was sold at a small profit). PS5 and the Xbox Series are no different.

This year Sony announced record revenues earlier this year but profits dropped 33%, which proves MY point perfectly. It makes total sense if you think about it, for a relatively small loss they are tying their customer base into a premium, exclusive model of live subscriptions and digital game sales. The PS5 launch was an insanely costly process for Sony but it doesn't matter if they lose a few hundred million selling the hardware when they make tens of BILLIONS on after sale services.
Sony recently held its Q1 2021 earnings call, where Hiroki Totoki, Sony's CFO, announced that the PlayStation 5 Standard Edition ($499) is no longer sold at a loss.
https://www.techspot.com/news/90672-sony-standard-ps5-has-become-profitable-but-digital.html

This shows just how much consumers are being ripped off on Gpus with the best comparison being the 32CU 8gb 6600XT which is almost going for £450 now, smaller die, half the VRAM, cheap basic PCB and cooler vs all the hardware that's packed into a PS5.

Last edited:
OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Nobody is saying that graphics cards prices aren't realistically too high at the moment. However, don't over simplify things and reach an unfair conclusion. We are still talking about two fundamentally different business models.

Sony's aim may be to ultimately break even or even make a small profit on their hardware sales but it's absolutely not a priority. Hardware profits are infinitesimal in comparison to the money that they rake in from each customer through digital means. A console could easily end up costing more than what a gaming PC could over a reasonable lifespan.

Your graphics card manufacturers, your CPU manufacturer, your motherboard manufacturer have no such after-sale revenue stream. They have to make their money from that one sale, up front, one lump sum....no matter how blatant it may seem in comparison to a monthly subscription and premium game pricing.

Soldato
I don't think anyone begrudges these companies making a profit but it's the level of profit they are making from AMD to Nvidia to AIBs all posting record profits and are clearly taking the **** with pricing.

A card like the 6600XT would still be quite profitable at £300 given the components it's using.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
You're still over simplifying.
What Mr Sony is basically saying is that this plastic box now costs them about the same amount to make as they sell it for.
He's not saying that they are making enough to cover the R&D, prototyping, set up & tooling, logistics, warehousing, office space, staff salaries, marketing, returns/repair/spares buffers etc...all of the bits of a business that come under "overheads". Their subscribers cover all of that afterwards.

Asus (just picking a name at random) don't have that luxury and the tooling alone for a cooler like the Strix could easily run into six figures. They have to make enough money on the card itself to cover all of this and make a profit.

To be blunt, if Sony made a gaming box with no after market revenue stream...no subscriptions, no overpriced accessories, no games that cost 50% more than the PC equivalent... they'd definitely have to charge around three times the amount for it.

Associate
I caved for a KFA 3080 SG LHR, and paid another £350. It arrives what is now later today, and given prices have risen this month with supply to be no doubt further constrained by Christmas, non-lhr's at a complete trickle, felt like perhaps I will be entirely skipping this generation out, and want a 4k VR headset... which my 1080 would promptly give the two-fingered salute as it has with Cyberpunk. My justification... (cries inside). Those behind me in the Palit Gaming Pro queue just moved one up, I was #9.

Ta for the modest discount from Overclockers on it, although, as an ecommerce developer some of the technical complexities you have mentioned on this thread are baffling, things you mentioned would take weeks of work to do, I was thinking that would take me half an hour to write a script on Adobe Commerce. I look forward to your new website and hope it makes your lives a damnsight easier!

That's me out until the 5 series rears its head, good luck to those still waiting for their 3080's.

Associate
Remember how a 30 Super wasn’t “ever” gonna happen next year? Remember how it was all Chinese whispers? Remember how I pointed out that we were 100% right about LHR, and TI release dates, months in advance when OCUK knew nothing?

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-super-rumored-to-feature-10752-cuda-cores-400w-of-power

There’s that 3090 Super I said would be around the corner. Let me repeat that. 30 SUPER. NOT 40 SERIES.

I don’t really care about any of this **** anymore really, I downgraded to a 70TI through OCUK weeks ago cuz I got fed up of waiting in a queue. And it is quite a phenomenal card. Cost 50 quid than I already paid for the 3080 equivalent, but beggars can’t be choosers - I’m happy with it.

If you are still in this queue, take the upgrade/downgrade or cancel your order - the 3080 you ordered will likely have been superseded twice by next year, and you WILL end up paying more than you wanted to, unless you downgrade to the cheapest model they offer.

Let this be a lesson.
- SUPER is coming, and always was.
- It’s not “Chinese whispers”, it’s leaks.
- It’s not fake news, it’s careful sleuthing.
- And Scotti doesn’t know.

EDIT: typos.

Last edited:
OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Remember how a 30 Super wasn’t “ever” gonna happen next year?
- And Scotti doesn’t know.

what I said was 4000 series probably wasn't going to happen...
All this 4000 series talk is bonkers! It's all chinese whispers and rumour. I guarantee that none of the AIBs will have any 4000 series visibility on road maps yet so any "news" can only have come out of Nvidia or their fabricators and those guys are more secretive than the CIA in general so I think it's all BS. The earliest any believable rumours usually emerge is six months, which is roughly when the AIBs get told to given a buying schedule for current chipsets.

They might be a bit weird and do a "super" launch but I, personally, don't see the point. Either way I definitely don't expect an RTX 4000 series launch until around my 44th birthday, in October 2022.
DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE?!?! It's not that subtle. :cry::cry:

But who lets facts get in the way of a good story, eh?

Maybe in future, pay attention to the guy who has worked in the industry for nearly two decades including a spell at a major VGA manufacturer...and by pay attention I mean pay attention to the detail of what I say rather than skim reading and jumping to your own conclusions.

Since Nvidia are secretive as hell we're not going to hear anything official until much closer to any launch, so there's always the potential for me to be surprised. But Nvidia are also creatures of habit and have stuck to a strict launch schedule for the last decade. Their next series, if they maintain their usual pace, won't materialise for another year.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

I've had a ASUS 3080 TUF on preoder since launch day last year.

Updates have been sparse from OCUK this month, i am #2 in the que having moved up all of 1 place in several months.

Are you actually ever going to fufill this preorder ? I don't want to take advantage of the upgrade "offer" as its above the price i paid for the card originally and i cannot afford it.

Can i assume this will never be fulfilled now ?

Cheers.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Hi,

I've had a ASUS 3080 TUF on preoder since launch day last year.

Updates have been sparse from OCUK this month, i am #2 in the que having moved up all of 1 place in several months.

Are you actually ever going to fufill this preorder ? I don't want to take advantage of the upgrade "offer" as its above the price i paid for the card originally and i cannot afford it.

Can i assume this will never be fulfilled now ?

Cheers.
Please forgive the bluntness, but we don't know. The card that you ordered might no longer be in production but Asus have not announced anything officially. We wouldn't be advising people to cancel or explore other options if we had any indication that there were more cards on the way.

Associate
Please forgive the bluntness, but we don't know. The card that you ordered might no longer be in production but Asus have not announced anything officially. We wouldn't be advising people to cancel or explore other options if we had any indication that there were more cards on the way.

Prefer bluntness.

Thanks, i'll give it another month then im out i think. I know its not your / OCUK's fault but it is frustrating nonetheless.

Associate
My dude, I may have speculated earlier on about the eventual 4080, and the fact rumors were to be expected, but I’ve been arguing against the likelihood of it being the next launch. I have explicitly been talking about 30 Super in terms of what comes next, and telling people not to wait for 40 series - because I myself do not believe 40 series (Lovelace) is coming til 2024, after what Nvidia have referred to as “Ampere NEXT NEXT”. I said all of that before. That’s how this thing goes. We say it. You say you don’t know (no pun intended). Then Nvidia say it. And finally you tell us what we already knew.

I never disagreed with you about 40 series. I wasn’t disputing that at all, I was disputing you shooting people down for speculating about upcoming launches in general. That’s why I bit, when you called it Chinese whispers - cuz it’s not - it’s a simple matter of observation, and simply knowing which leaks to believe, and which to dismiss. Turing changed the schema up a bit but as you said, Nvidia love patterns and this is a simple pattern to follow.

Same as in Turing, every card gets a Ti AND Super variant, besides the Titan. The Titan is rebranded back to 90 for Ampere (names were getting silly) and launched alongside the 80 as the new flagship. Thus, it also gets a Super refresh later to keep it ahead of the new 80 S variant, while a 90 Ti this summer would have been pointless as 80 Ti is still only half spec of the base 90. It also seems they are aiming for the new hierarchy to be Base < Ti < Super, with all models numbered, which makes sense for simplicity’s sake. If 30XX Super is “Ampere Next” - then what is “Ampere Next Next”? Not a clue, 30XX Hyper? :cry: Point is, it’s still not “Lovelace” / 40XX.

Anyways, no hard feelings mate, I promise I didn’t really come in here to give you ****, I actually came here to update, and didn’t wanna go with the whole “my watch is over” cliche. I just saw the article while formulating the post and realised I never actually responded to our last interaction, so thought I’d throw the link up here. For what it’s worth, I’m sorry for giving you a hard time. It’s been a long year, and I’ll be out of your hair forever now.

Peace.

Last edited:
Associate
@ScottiB @Gibbo I notice you have the Inno3D 3070ti back in stock and this is your chance to get rid of me from the EVGA queue. Is there any discount offered on this card for those of us waiting as I am not sure I want to spend another £180 over what I already have. I understand it won’t be a straight swap but I don’t think I can swallow £180.

Associate
@ScottiB @Gibbo I notice you have the Inno3D 3070ti back in stock and this is your chance to get rid of me from the EVGA queue. Is there any discount offered on this card for those of us waiting as I am not sure I want to spend another £180 over what I already have. I understand it won’t be a straight swap but I don’t think I can swallow £180.

I messaged their cust svce thread in the forum. I ordered a 3080 tuf OC and still had to pay 150 extra for a inno3d ichill x4. Message them and they get back within a day.

What did you order?

Associate
I messaged their cust svce thread in the forum. I ordered a 3080 tuf OC and still had to pay 150 extra for a inno3d ichill x4. Message them and they get back within a day.

What did you order?

An EVGA XC3 Black. I don’t need a huge amount off but last time around I think the upgrade deals for 3080 queues represented about £50-£60 off the front door price.

Associate

Refunding isn’t an option, when I chose ocuk for my pre order I trusted that they would be able to fulfil my order out of all the retailers I could have chosen. And now we are 10 months later and I’m still stuck with out a graphics card for my new rig and 860 quid out of pocket. There’s a reason we are still waiting in the queue. I think it’s a next level cop out if I have to wait this long and ultimately don’t walk away a happy customer. Ocuk shouldn’t have taken this many pre orders if they had no ability to fulfil them. I would have preferred honestly and the chance at the time to try and find stock that was in stock or a retailer that could clear its pre order queues.

Back
Top Bottom