• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Caporegime
Yeah, it’s gonna be the same BIOS but the boost clock setting will have been set differently. Boost clock is just one BIOS setting. I’ll stick me neck out and say there won’t be two versions of the BIOS. No reason to do that. I said:

“I think the closest you will see to evidence at this stage is making an assumption on that basis”.

That is hardly stating it as fact, is it? It’s looking at the evidence, and my experience of past SKU variations to fill in a gap which exists because ASUS hasn’t deemed it necessary to point out the power limits are the same because the cards are the same. And why would they when they get so much traction letting people believe the OC is better somehow?

And you ignore the evidence that all previous generations of strix and OC cards have had different power limits set in the bios? Thats not using your experience at all.

Previous to you saying “I think the closest you will see to evidence at this stage is making an assumption on that basis” you ware posting on more than one occasion that both cards have the same power limits. Not posting that you think they will.

Hence me asking you your source.

You havent got one and are just guessing. That's fine. Glad we got that cleared up and we can stop messing up the thread now :)

Associate
Sigh most normal buyers wont be going into their bios and editing it. if the boost clock is part of the bios then its a different bios. End of story. Its not like your motherboard where you can easily go into the bios and change a setting.

I think the problem is you got it wrong and are trying to justify it. I wasnt trying to justify it for myself I was trying to point out some people who arent computer literate will not want to edit/flash their bios and if the none oc offers a lower boost and lower power then they will pay the extra for it all to work out of the box. Believe it or not, a lot of people wont even use afterburner or anyway similar to overclock their cards and run them at stock. Amazing isn't it?

Point is you don't know they have the same power limits. Asus have never done that before. Clearly I thought you have inside information that we don't have access to. Its just your opinion so please stop going around and stating its fact.

And yes have flashed the bios of every card I have even owned except the very early ones so I do know a bit about what I am saying.

This is pretty close to my situation to be honest my 3090 will be going in my 6th PC build.
I have never Overclocked my GPU or CPU but have always bought OC GPU’s.
I’m not completely computer illiterate but I think I have some fear of Overclocking and breaking honestly the most expensive single item I own.
I mean my 2nd or 3rd build had full custom water cooling (soft line but still) yet I still didn’t overclock anything.
I have also since swapped out my custom loop and replaced with a AIO.
The maintainance of my custom loop lost its novelty and I just want something I can build and forget and always works when I turn it on.
If I had someone trustworthy or knew anyone that could help me Overclock I would but to be honest everything I’ve learned I’ve learned myself through YouTube etc.
That fear/lack of self confidence has stopped me trying to Overclock myself to me personally the £30 or so for OC versions out balances the problems if I did something wrong.

Last edited:
Associate
Sigh most normal buyers wont be going into their bios and editing it. if the boost clock is part of the bios then its a different bios. End of story. Its not like your motherboard where you can easily go into the bios and change a setting.

I think the problem is you got it wrong and are trying to justify it. I wasnt trying to justify it for myself I was trying to point out some people who arent computer literate will not want to edit/flash their bios and if the none oc offers a lower boost and lower power then they will pay the extra for it all to work out of the box. Believe it or not, a lot of people wont even use afterburner or anyway similar to overclock their cards and run them at stock. Amazing isn't it?

Point is you don't know they have the same power limits. Asus have never done that before. Clearly I thought you have inside information that we don't have access to. Its just your opinion so please stop going around and stating its fact.

And yes have flashed the bios of every card I have even owned except the very early ones so I do know a bit about what I am saying.

You’re right. I’m wrong. Enjoy your card.

Associate
If I was to preorder a 3090 Rog strix what number would I be in the que ie how many orders are there for this card.

Going on the waiting list we have gathered ONLY from forum members that have provided their queue numbers.

3090 Strix OC probably looking at LEAST 500
(Last order on list 9/26 22:00 queue number 403)

3090 Strix Non OC at Least 200
(Last order on list 9/30 21:00 queue number 122)

This is a complete underestimate as unlike competitors you can still order from OC, but trying to give you a minimum.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, I'm at 373 and ordered a 3090 Strix OC on the 25th... so those guestimates make sense, maybe +100 / +50, since its now the 5th Oct?
meanwhile... in the 3080 queue, add some more zero's :D

Associate
Well, I'm at 373 and ordered a 3090 Strix OC on the 25th... so those guestimates make sense, maybe +100 to each, since its now the 5th Oct?
meanwhile... in the 3080 queue, add some more zero's :D
Last 3080 OC Strix on the list is 9/26 18:18 queue number 884 so probably in the 1000’s now.

Associate
You have to extrapolate based on the posts in this thread. Can't recall if somebody made a spreadsheet out of it, I know they did for the 3080's previously, not sure on 3090's.

Thing is, queue number means nothing until you know at what frequency and quantity stock arrives, could be <10 a week, 30 a week, 30 a day, 0 for a month then 100 or 200... who knows.
But, its either this.. sitting in a queue.. or trying your luck for one coming into stock somewhere, considering nobody else is taking pre-orders (mostly anyway) others are likely to open their checkouts every now and then, but.. you would have to be a lucky sob to snag one that way, probably last a few mins at best. So, may aswell pre-order and forget about it for a bit.. or follow the forum like a madman (like me) for glimmers of info.

Associate
thanks for the info quys.
Cooper1987 are those the right numbers I would have thought there would be more people order the non OC than the OC edition as its cheaper and is basically the same card.
Info is right (Well as right as can be with incomplete data).
Yeah you would think more people bought non OC but no.
OC has outsold standard.
I was using same list as Solaris.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom