• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Bad. Don't sell the old one until you have a new one in your hands!

Ha ha definitely my 2060 super is a distant memory, I have been keeping my 970 warm for nearly a year now, it's going to be that way for a while yet, doesn't look like anyone else who in the pre-order queue with OCUK will be getting a GPU, and I ain't paying the over inflated prices that are being asked for GPU's now.

Caporegime
so glad I grabbed a 3090 strix oc for £1595 when I did and cancelled my pre order with ocuk. I would have hated waiting all this time or having to pay some of the inflated prices.

It was only a few months ago I got my email from EVGA direct telling me I could buy my 3090 FTW from them finally at some stupid price above £2k

Associate
Yeah I bought my KFA2 3090 SG in December for £1545 and it's running great. It's now retailing for closer to £1,995 so happy chappy. Not going to be too interested in 4080/90 as prices are going to be higher IMHO. This card should last me a few years TBH as not too bothered about ray tracing can take it or leave it. At UWQHD it's a beast so what's not to like.

Associate
Wow, almost an entire year on and back orders are almost clear. This has been a wild ride and I'm still so grateful that I had my card some 10 months ago
Been a while since I looked at this thread and was wondering how many people were still waiting for their 3090. To be honest I paid slightly over the odds for my card from an eBay seller last year and so glad I did looking at how the prices kept going up :(

Permabanned
Probably the same experience all over again but the 4090 cards will sell for £2,500 at release and then get sold by scalpers for £4,000.

Wow, no one can afford that.
Anyone who owns or considering purchasing an 3090 FE, and want to get the best from their GPU should be prepared to change the thermal pads/paste and also undervlote.

Out the box these cards easily go over 1000mV, which is way to high. At these high voltage you will most likely get annoying Coil whine.

This was the first time I have opened up a GPU and it was very easy. All you have to do is make sure to have to right tools and take your time.

Also follow this guide
https://youtu.be/G3260LR2JzQ

https://youtu.be/FqpfYTi43TE

My 3090 FE now runs at 830mv, and 1910mhz. Next to no Coil whine.

Playing graphically demanding games.
Max Core temps 68c
Max Mem temps 86c

Before doing the above I was on the verge of selling the 3090 FE as it was to hot and noisy.

But I am now extremely happy with the new results. I highly recommend upgrading your 3090 FE.

Or at a minimum undervlot the GPU.

I disagree, don't do this for gaming. Not worth it as you can play games fine without doing this. 3090FE fan never passes 65% anyway and the coil whine is only on some cards not all.

My 3090 FE has temps below and no mod was done.No coil whine

Soldato
Wow, no one can afford that.

I disagree, don't do this for gaming. Not worth it as you can play games fine without doing this. 3090FE fan never passes 65% anyway and the coil whine is only on some cards not all.

My 3090 FE has temps below and no mod was done.No coil whine

Your either not checking the VRAM tempterature, or your using a 3090 to play at ancient and outdated resolutions such as 1080P or 1440P, or your using an old monitor stuck at 60Hz.

Play any newish game at 4k on a 3090FE, on a high refresh rate monitor and you'll see at least 100C on the VRAM temperature - this is the point of the 'mod' that you're referring to. Core temps can be ignored, as they're often 50, 60, 70C, meanwhile VRAM is cooking.

Permabanned
Your either not checking the VRAM tempterature, or your using a 3090 to play at ancient and outdated resolutions such as 1080P or 1440P, or your using an old monitor stuck at 60Hz.

Play any newish game at 4k on a 3090FE, on a high refresh rate monitor and you'll see at least 100C on the VRAM temperature - this is the point of the 'mod' that you're referring to. Core temps can be ignored, as they're often 50, 60, 70C, meanwhile VRAM is cooking.

I never had any coil whine, on the 3090. I know some AMD cards have heavy coil whine, almost like a constant electrical buzz.

With the 3090, My VRAM, if I set the fan curve , has never passed 85c-94c. That's why I said no point doing the mod as on the 3090, you need like 3/4 packs of thermal pads and they can cost £15 each.

I would maybe do it if you plan on overclocking the card and want stable overclocks. Or want a very silent rig.

I only play in 4K with OLED TV. Max settings, I target 120 fps and play at 120Hz. I play as many new games as I can. Even put it on VR. The OLEDs native resolution is 4K, anything below looks bad.

Caporegime
Yeah I bought my KFA2 3090 SG in December for £1545 and it's running great. It's now retailing for closer to £1,995 so happy chappy. Not going to be too interested in 4080/90 as prices are going to be higher IMHO. This card should last me a few years TBH as not too bothered about ray tracing can take it or leave it. At UWQHD it's a beast so what's not to like.
Not only will prices be higher, but availability will again be terrible and all of the same problems with scalpers will remain. On the plus side, I think we will be able to order a 4090 and hold on to the 3090 until the new card arrives and still sell it for a decent price. Never again will I sell anything in advance of when I actually receive something else. :D

Associate
Your either not checking the VRAM tempterature, or your using a 3090 to play at ancient and outdated resolutions such as 1080P or 1440P, or your using an old monitor stuck at 60Hz. <snip>

I dont think 1440p is outdated yet

The vast majority of people that game with a PC do so at 1080p (67.53%) 1440p (8.94%) comes next, followed by the laptop favourite 1366 x 768 (7.29%)
How many of those people use a 3090 I couldn’t say, but these forums are heavily skewed by PC enthusiasts. While that’s great for discussions and the like, it doesn’t present anything like an accurate picture of what general PC gaming looks like.

1080p and 1440p aren’t outdated.

source, steam hardware survey.

Associate
If I wanted to build a new gaming PC. Would I be best doing a 5900X 3090 or 3060TI if I want to use it for mining to claw back some of the costs of the build?
The Graphics cards are crazy prices, so can't beat em, join em to help with the increased price.
I'm not liking sound of having to mod cards costing over 2grand.

Currently have a i7 2600K (4.3ghz) and an Overclocked Vega 56

Thanks I'm advance of anyone's input.

Associate
If I wanted to build a new gaming PC. Would I be best doing a 5900X 3090 or 3060TI if I want to use it for mining to claw back some of the costs of the build?
The Graphics cards are crazy prices, so can't beat em, join em to help with the increased price.
I'm not liking sound of having to mod cards costing over 2grand.

Currently have a i7 2600K (4.3ghz) and an Overclocked Vega 56

Thanks I'm advance of anyone's input.

I'd go with a 5900X + 3080ti - 3090 isn't worth it unless you can get an FE model..

Associate
Not only will prices be higher, but availability will again be terrible and all of the same problems with scalpers will remain. On the plus side, I think we will be able to order a 4090 and hold on to the 3090 until the new card arrives and still sell it for a decent price. Never again will I sell anything in advance of when I actually receive something else. :D
I did that when the 3080 was announced i thought i would get one straight away so sold my 2080 Ti i was stuck without a graphics card for ages will never do that again.

Back
Top Bottom