• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Nvidia GTX480 & 470 reviews & discussion***

Associate
gonna preorder the gtx480 im sure its gonna drop down to the 400 quid mark very soon, all in though not bad pricing considering your getting the fastest single gpu solution on the planet. i think the 8800gtx cost more than fermi when it was released.

and the least efficient card on the planet :p

Soldato
and the least efficient card on the planet :p

those who can afford to buy this card shoudl also have the cash to fuel it.

going over one of the reviews i see that a streamprocessor block is disabled on the 480, i got a feeling that a revision B core later down the line will have the full on 512 cuda cores available. problem is i need more power now to run games like just cause 2 and metro.

Soldato
I predict the 480 wil drop to 400 by the end of april.

yep will deffo hold off for this month since i know the price will drop like it always does a month or so after the new stuff comes out. but then again in this economy with the dodgey pound rate things can go the other way and prices could go upwards.

Soldato
Do you think nvidia are happy with fermi or do you think they are worried about what they have produced ?
I'm not bothered about what they've probuced to be honest, my xfire setup beats it anyway.
Sli may be a different story tho, but a sli setup would be far too expensive hot and hungry.

Soldato
Do you think nvidia are happy with fermi or do you think they are worried about what they have produced ?
I'm not bothered about what they've probuced to be honest, my xfire setup beats it anyway.
Sli may be a different story tho, but a sli setup would be far too expensive hot and hungry.

I think they're certainly going to make some real bad ass Quaddro cards :p

Soldato
One fault, in one driver release. Hardly compares to all the issues i've have to put up with since the 5870 release.

Agreed. The greatest hardware is useless without working drivers. Great as their hardware currently is, ATI have shown that they're nowhere near as competent at writing drivers as NVidia are - you only have to look at the huge grey/white lines bug, issues with BBC HD DVB-S playback and the big article on 2D Windows problems on Tom's Hardware to realise this. (And please resist the urge to post "never had a problem myself" as this helps no one - the fact remains that these huge bugs exist and are experience by a great many people, yet ATI repeatedly drag their heels in fixing them).

I'm no fanboy and have had numerous ATI and NVidia cards but my 5850 went back due to the above issues. Until ATI sort their **** out and totally rewrite their drivers, I'm sticking with NVidia. Thankfully my GTX275 and GTX260 provide all the performance I need so I don't have to invest in this (frankly pretty awful) new generation :)

Associate
hopefully the surround drivers will be released soon and confirmation that it works on a pair of 280gtxs, then i can pickup a cheap 280gtx :) to keep me going.

i'll maybe look into 4xx series when theres some direct x 11 stuff i want to play later in the year, but im more tempted by 5970 at the moment (if they sort out eyefinity to work with it).

Soldato

It's a mixed bag in my view, a solid but not earth shatering, high end offering, marred by temp issues.

But Nv are also putting thier money where thier mouth is by heavily investing thier R&D in Cuda/GPGPU tech, which could either be very wise or disastrous depending on how the CPU market plays out, and if software developers start tapping into GPU developing.

It's no secret that Nvidia want to produce CPU's but the fact is Intel and (now especialy) AMD will never allow them an X86 licence (or indeed a means of using one), that was prooved when they tried to buy VIA a few years back.

EDIT: also, as mentioned, more solid driver support and general consistency make it a good, solid, if slightly underwhelming high end product, espcialy for people who do more than just play games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbh I can see ATI taking this year in terms of GPU sales, if they can get the facts across about the 400 series.

ATI have had the advantage of getting the first mover advantage, at a potential risk to themselves of Nvidia pushing a better product. From what I can see at the moment this is not the case (Perhaps it will be when we take into account tesselation).

ATI also have pushed the need for lower power consumption which appeals to many PC users these days with increasing electricity costs, and come out with a much more optimized card.

On top of this ATIs pricing will most likely fall when these Nvidia gpus come out? I'm suprised that Nvidia has priced them well this time around though, not hitting $600 like they usually.

I'm not someone who generally cares about power consumption, but if I could get a dual GPU card pushing less watts than a single Nvidia gpu I know what choice I would make.

I think the main selling point for this card will be the tesselation performance for DX11, which no doubt will beat any ATI offering, but will the average consumer care about this for now?

Associate
You would think with all the time nvidia had to make the new card it would beat its last generations faster card the gtx 295 by quite a bit. But it doesn't gtx 480 is over £400 whilst you can get a used gtx 295 for around £250 these days. Only 10 percent difference and the dual card uses less power and is not as hot

Back
Top Bottom