• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GTX560ti 1gb or 2gb

Soldato
Considering a gtx560 just wondering if a 2gb version will be any better for me gaming at 1920x1080 over a 1gb version, can get a 2gb one for just over £200 which isnt much more than a 1gb one although its a palit card rather than asus or msi etc so doesnt look as nice

Soldato
2gb one, it will get you higher iq settings than the 1gb. There are a few(not many though) games that will utilise the extra memory, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Gta4, Metro and maybe Crysis 2.

I have got to ask though, why not a 6950 and unlock it?
It's faster unlocked and overclocked.

Associate
Haven't seen anything to suggest it'll make a noticeable difference at that res in current games. Although who knows for future games? If it's about the same price then go for it, the cooler on the Palit is supposed to be be pretty good. I'd be more likely to make a GTX 560 purchase decision based on the effectivesness of the cooler, there are plenty of comparison reviews of various cards around.

Soldato
OP
2gb one, it will get you higher iq settings than the 1gb. There are a few(not many though) games that will utilise the extra memory, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Gta4, Metro and maybe Crysis 2.

I have got to ask though, why not a 6950 and unlock it?
It's faster unlocked and overclocked.

I have considered the 6950 but having nothing but bother in the past with several ati cards im happier with nvidia tbh, but my intention would be to buy another 560 a little down the line for sli

Soldato
I have considered the 6950 but having nothing but bother in the past with several ati cards im happier with nvidia tbh, but my intention would be to buy another 560 a little down the line for sli
Fair enough, you should stick with nvidia if you have had a better experience with them.
If your thinking about sli, then definitely go for the 2gb ones. I know it's in reference to the 2gb 6950, but the same applies for 2gb 560's:

'Also, you must consider multi-GPU configurations. When running CrossFireX or SLI you want the most RAM you can get per GPU. If not, you will have this awesome powerhouse of an engine being held back by small cheap tires; your ultimate gameplay will be held back. Spending a little bit more and getting the HD 6950 with 2GB will give you the headroom to setup a fast CrossFireX configuration that will allow high resolutions with AA that won’t be held back by the memory.'

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/24/amd_radeon_hd_6950_1gb_performance_review/4

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, you should stick with nvidia if you have had a better experience with them.
If your thinking about sli, then definitely go for the 2gb ones. I know it's in reference to the 2gb 6950, but the same applies for 2gb 560's:

'Also, you must consider multi-GPU configurations. When running CrossFireX or SLI you want the most RAM you can get per GPU. If not, you will have this awesome powerhouse of an engine being held back by small cheap tires; your ultimate gameplay will be held back. Spending a little bit more and getting the HD 6950 with 2GB will give you the headroom to setup a fast CrossFireX configuration that will allow high resolutions with AA that won’t be held back by the memory.'

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/24/amd_radeon_hd_6950_1gb_performance_review/4

Cheers, how noisy are the stock coolers on the 6950's out of interest

Associate
I've got a GTX 460 2GB and have seen it use over 1gb many times. I've used about 1.3GB in Dragon Age 2. It seems that Directx11 will use as much memory as it can get a hold of.

I'm upgrading to SLI soon, but trying to find a 2nd GTX 460 2GB is seeming to be a nightmare!

Note: I'm running at 1920x1080, have a 2nd monitor in at 1440x900, but this was just on desktop so doubt it was using much memory up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers, how noisy are the stock coolers on the 6950's out of interest
My 1st one is a HIS and it was slightly louder than my quiet case fans at stock(which I hate), so I put my AC extreme 5870 cooler on it to silence it.
My 2nd one which is a MSI one, cannot be heard at idle and doesn't ramp up anywhere near the noise level that the HIS one got to. I was going to get another AC cooler for it but I don't really need it for noise levels.
As they are both stock cards all made the same, it may be just your luck whether you get a quiet or loud one.

bee

bee

Associate
i've actually found that even though most games use less than 1gb, if you actually have the memory available then lots the games that normally use sub 1gb will actually utilise the extra memory and run at over 1gb

Back
Top Bottom