1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA Next Generation ‘Ampere’ 7nm Graphics Cards Landing 1H 2020

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LoadsaMoney, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Jimmy Weirdarms

Gangster

That's not even near the top end for a phone.

Think of it this way = the GTX 580 launched at $499 in 2010. That's equivalent to around $600 in today's money. The 780 Ti Launched in 2013 at around £550, over £700 accounting for inflation. So £750 is not that outrageous really.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  2. chaparral

Capodecina

wife or Girlfriend comes home all happy and says "Do you like my lovely new £1000+ iPhone upgrade I just bought today"

You come home and say to the wife or girlfriend "Do like my new £1000+ 3080ti GPU upgrade I bought today" world war 3 breaks out :D:p

3. EastCoastHandle

Hitman

I've heard that release was delayed to 4th quarter 2020?

4. Poneros

Mobster

Don't get your hopes up too much yet. They don't have much of anything done, it's all "aspirational" to use a word that's en-vogue right now. :D

5. EastCoastHandle

Hitman

Yeah nothing is actually optimized for the new hardware as of yet. And the actual visual demo was on PC. I do wonder if developers will actually be ready be release date? Personally, I doubt it. I don't expect all the cogs to be in place and in gear until 2021 for both Sony and MS.
    That's where I see it "getting real". :p

However, the games I'm keeping a look out for is Gran Turismo, Halo and Flight Simulator.

6. Richdog

Capodecina

That's the point. 2060-2080 are Nvidias gaming high-end ray-tracing cards, positioned at the various price points and ends of the high-end spectrum. A Geforce GTX 1660 is now considered your average "mid-range" GPU and FoxEye could easily confirm this, if by not using logic and common sense, simply by Googling professional reviews and checking online stores.

7. Participant

Caporegime

Maths not your strong point then? :p

8. BigBANGtheory

Wise Guy

Still much cheaper than a horse, choose your future partner wisely :D

9. tyler_jrb

Mobster

I’d some what agree but they all still have respectful places regardless of how RTX they are.
    2080S-2080Ti Enthusiast/pro
    2070S high end
    2060S midrange
    1660S low end
    1650 and below budget

Unless 2080Ti- high high high high end
    2080S high high high end
    2070S high high end
    2060S high end
    1660S midrange
    1650 and below low end
    ;)

10. clifbel

Gangster

Yes even if the hardware is ready I can't see the game devs having anything mature enough to release and be playable. But hey looks the trend these days is to release unfinished games because plenty of people will still pay full price.

Are you hoping for flight sim on pc or console? I would love to see another crimson skies game because it was good. Air pirates is where its at! Also looking forward to cyberpunk 2077 as well!!

11. Grim5

Mobster

next gen flight simulator is on its way, probably make its way to the ps5 and Xbox too

12. clifbel

Gangster

That's exciting to hear! I can't see how well it would be as good to play on a PS5/Xbox though, less peripherals and you can't do a multi monitor setup right? But Ampere should be able to crush these scenarios in theory?

13. melmac

Soldato

Nvidia changed their naming for the Turing cards though. You have to specify what x60 card you are talking about. The RTX or the GTX? The GTX x60 cards are the mainstream ones, the RTX x60 cards are the high end.

14. FoxEye

Capodecina

RTX 2060. AKA TU106 (mostly).

Which sits below TU104
    Which sits below TU102

Ie the 7th, 8th and 9th best RTX cards ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_20_series#Chipset_table

15. EastCoastHandle

Hitman

The devs had an invite for their alpha/beta testing on pc a while back. People on pc are now playing the game.
    https://www.flightsimulator.com/insider-program-faq/
    I’m more curious as to how the game is created and what pc hardware is required to play it. The game is gorgeous to look at. iE: lighting, reflections, etc.

16. clifbel

Gangster

It's been a while since I've played any of the Flight Sim games, used to do a bit of X-Plane and IL2. The game looks stunning, I would also be interested to see what PC hardware is required to run the game at that level too! Fingers crossed!

17. melmac

Soldato

The internal naming scheme stopped meaning anything when Kepler was released.

The RTX cards are all the high end cards, the GTX cards are all the mid range/mainstream cards.

18. FoxEye

Capodecina

Seems arbitrary to assign all the RTX "high end", if you're not going to assign all the GTX "low end".

Using nVidia's marketing distinction, it's a binary division into two groups (GTX, RTX). Logic says you could call RTX Tier1 and GTX Tier2 if you wanted.

But your logic says RTX is Tier1, and GTX is a mixture of Tier 2 and Tier 3 (analogous for "high end", "mid range", "low end").

It very much seems to me that the whole thing is subjective, as opposed to there being some concrete criteria that makes a 2060 unquestionably "high end".

After all, I could legitimately ask the question, "Why can't RTX be a mixture of Tier 1 and Tier 2, with all GTX being Tier 3?"

This isn't argument for argument sake, I'm just trying to establish the highly subjective nature of calling something "high end" or not, using simple logic.

19. melmac

Soldato

I could you ask the same question, why are you calling the xx70 and xx60 mid low and mid range?

I was just keeping my answer simple, but, I forgot how you like to twist things.

The point I was making is that just because a card has xx60 in it, doesn't mean it's mid low anymore. It also depends on whether it's RTX or GTX. It's sort of like back in the days of 9 series cards and below. Where you could have the 8800 GTX, the 8800 GT, 8800 GS but you also had the 8600 GT and the 8600 GS etc. The GT and GTX signify the differences in performance as well as the numbers.

Rather than look at the internal naming scheme, try looking at the die sizes. They are more of a clue to where the card is going to be in a line up then the internal naming scheme. For example, the 1080ti die size was 447nm on a 14nm process. The 1060 is 200nm. Now look at latest cards from Nvidia. The 2060 is 445nm and 1660 cards are 284nm.

And don't forget to include hardware features, like the Ray Tracing and Tensor cores. Which the mainstream cards do not have.

Simple logic.

20. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime