• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
When the argument starts with "But if AMD did so and so it would be praise, but not if its nvidia" you know that they know that they lost the argument and are just swinging blind at this point. :p

Soldato
Have people forgotten that the next gen consoles will do RT?

AMD will support as has already ben demonstrated.

RT is NOT an Nvidia thing. It's part of DXR which is a Microsoft API.

Nvidia just took the opportunity to milk the market by coming to market first with a RT capable GPU.

They also branded it RTX which has confused a lot of people in to thinking this is an Nvidia technology.

Soldato
Have people forgotten that the next gen consoles will do RT?

AMD will support as has already ben demonstrated.

RT is NOT an Nvidia thing. It's part of DXR which is a Microsoft API.

Nvidia just took the opportunity to milk the market by coming to market first with a RT capable GPU.

They also branded it RTX which has confused a lot of people in to thinking this is an Nvidia technology.

just like VRR/Freesync is now Nvidia tech - it's all just Gsync lol. INb4 Microsoft rebrands RT to RTX

Soldato
it's 5 titles more than zero titles. It's the start of a decent move forward towards much more realistic games to come. The 20 series and NV have created the foundations for that. Developers are now learning how to implement/use/optimise the technology right now (not in 2-4 years time) How is that a failure?
Different ways of looking at it. Love it or hate it (and most hate it due to pricing atm), it's here to stay. In 10+years it'll probably be like tessellation, that is, nobody even talks about it anymore - but it'll be there :).

Lets ignore RT completely for the moment too. Nothing else even matches the raw performance of the 2080 Ti over a year after release. While this isn't what the discussion about - NV have been miles ahead with the top end 20 series even ignoring the RT capabilities.

Imagine if the new Playstation 5 only had five titles after a whole year. Although it's raw performance meant it could run Playstation 4 games at very high refresh rates. Would that be a massive win? Or a massive fail?

I think the whole industry would call it a fail.

Soldato
Imagine if the new Playstation 5 only had five titles after a whole year. Although it's raw performance meant it could run Playstation 4 games at very high refresh rates. Would that be a massive win? Or a massive fail?

But PS5 is mostly just an evolution of PS4. RT is completely new technology for gaming realism :). Apples and granny smiths...I mean oranges. PS5 will have RT, right? If the first few games don't use it, would the PS5 be a failure? It's not going to do it anywhere near as good as the next gen NV GPU;s so will be a failure for that reason too? Or just 5 games in the first year? probably thanks to NV bringing it to market already, it'll benefit the PS5 too :).

Last edited:
Associate

To be honest I dont think the PS4 even had more than 5 exclusives a year after release

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Eagerly waiting for the opinion reversal some people in this thread will have on Ray Tracing once AMD implements it.
Someone had to do it first.
If price goes up and the hardware performance remains the similar, then apart from a handful here I doubt much would change. The main issue is they need to bring much better hardware that will allow for a leap in image quality where there is a night and day difference, ideally without needing to pay a huge premium for it.

I really don’t think anyone dislikes RT as a technology. I really like it and think it will be great in the future as we keep getting better and better hardware. As it is right now with current hardware though it is nothing special as not much can be achieved with it or at least without seriously tanking performance. Need to start somewhere though and I am sure titles and hardware coming next year will be better for it.

If it turns out to be as good as I hope I will personally thank people here for funding and beta testing the old hardware for me :p:D

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Eagerly waiting for the opinion reversal some people in this thread will have on Ray Tracing once AMD implements it.

It all depends on how it's implemented and how it's priced.

IMO it shouldn't be released at all until it has negligible impact on performance for the target resolution of a particular card, without the use of trickery like DLSS

Soldato

I can assure you, if AMD's price & performance match the current Nvidia crop then they can poke it. Similarly, if there's a big price & performance improvement from AMD then your point is pretty much irrelevant.

Associate
People are getting distracted here, the issue is not RT its Nvidia using its implementation of RT to sell the 2000 series which by and large is a product that is over priced and under performs. If you halved the price or doubled the performance (ideally both) then consumers would have a better opinion.

Imho Nvidia knew exactly what it was doing and its not surprising when you clear the smoke and mirrors away that they come under heavy critism.

Personally I think the 3000 series will see a more favourable balance of price/perf but it won't be complete turn around because shareholders want their $$$. The 2070S was at least a step in that direction arguably in response to AMD but I also think a realisation that they weren't selling enough.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I’m hoping that the next gen comes on in leaps and bounds for RT but the current crop still do a good job if the devs get it right.

Currently playing the new COD @ 4K/60 with RT and HDR enabled. It looks the bee’s knees TBH.

Have to use a mild OC to keep it at 60Hz granted, but it’s solid as a rock in MP, and pretty damned impressive in SP too.

Admittedly that’s on a 2080Ti and it’s clearly GPU limited. My 2700X doesn’t get anywhere near 100% usage.

Looking forward at seeing AMD’s implementation but if they stick to hardware, Nvidia’s next gen should be flipping fantastic.

Permabanned
If it was AMD that had brought us RTX and it was priced at £300 instead of what it is, people wouldn't be slating it at all. Which is you are all hating it because of the price and it is connected to NVidia.

Of course, The worst thing was the premium Nvidia added, I'd decided to buy a 2080ti this time around & I expected a top price of around the same as a 1080ti when that released but instead they asked for roughly double which appeared to be because of the new ray tracing ability which was a non starter at that point.

Soldato

I can remember people 15-20 years ago saying TnL was fail or even programmable pixel shaders as there was next to no games in the first year, now look how they are used! Heck I think Morrowind was on its own in 2002 on the pixel shader front.

Pixel/Vertex shaders didn't really become heavily used mad mandatory until the third gen of supporting hardware, The Geforce 6's and Radeon X800's

The hardware to support new features has to come first and in the case of RTX/DXR devs only got hardware a few weeks before a retail release

Soldato
Don't think we need to speculate all that much re rasterisation performance?

Per that guy on you tube 'not an apple fan' just multiply whatever current tier by 30%.

Common you think it's going to be significantly more than that? Why? Because you want it to be?

Maybe some cards will have 40% tops.

As for ray tracing we would all agree double the perf would be a good starting point.

Soldato
I can remember people 15-20 years ago saying TnL was fail or even programmable pixel shaders as there was next to no games in the first year, now look how they are used! Heck I think Morrowind was on its own in 2002 on the pixel shader front.

Pixel/Vertex shaders didn't really become heavily used mad mandatory until the third gen of supporting hardware, The Geforce 6's and Radeon X800's

The hardware to support new features has to come first and in the case of RTX/DXR devs only got hardware a few weeks before a retail release

It didn't matter that TnL had no games because the GPU had a nice generational bump in performance.

However, RTX didn't have a bump in performance. It basically matched Pascal.

Caporegime
OP
RTX is the name of Nvidias 20 series cards, its to differentiate them from the GTX series, as the 'R' denotes that they can do Hardware Ray Tracing (which the GTX cards can't, they can only do Software), and the Ray Tracing is called DXR, so when you see the Ray Tracing videos, with the RTX On logos, that doesn't mean Ray Tracing On, it means, Nvidias cards, with hardware that can do Ray Tracing, which is their RTX cards, have the Ray Tracing, which is the DXR, switched On.

Theres a thread on Guru about RDR2, people saying, because it hasn't got Ray Tracing, then its not going to be RTX optimized, which is wrong, as it will be RTX optimized, seen as RTX, is the name of Nvidias 20 series cards, so the game will be optimized for those cards, the Game Ready driver will come out, and it will have said optimizations in it, its the DXR thats not going to be optimized, as the game doesn't have DXR ( Ray Tracing) in it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom