• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Honestly lads the glory days are over. Cheap GPUs thing of the past.

IF some people are to be believed Navi 20 will come out and trade blows with the nvidia top end, along with raytracing AND will be launched at a fair price.

Personally i do not believe it, i think given a competing card, AMD are just as bad as nvidia, and will just chop £20/£30 off the price of what ever equivalent NV card - which as i understand it is what they do with navi 10 at the mid range.

BUT if AMD do do that then it may force NVs hand somewhat to keep them honest.

In the past i have looked for a 100% increase in performance before i upgraded... and i have been close(ish) to sticking to that.... gtx 560ti - gtx 670 - GTX 980 - GTX 1080ti

however i will likely break that rule next time as my next card will offer a totally new feature - ray tracing... and as such i will be prepared to saccrifice a bit of raw speed to get new features. .... I hope i can give AMD a go... it has been a while since i had an AMD GPU but for VR NV has had an even bigger edge over AMD than they have on a monitor.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
In the past i have looked for a 100% increase in performance before i upgraded...
Yeah, those days are long gone. Used to love the huge gains from gen to gen. Now it is slowly becoming 30% per gen, so soon I will be doing upgrades every 2 gens me thinks unless I can sell and upgrade at the right time to minimise cost of the upgrade.

Associate
@Cooper I agree with that. In the past, I would buy a x80ti every release, just to treat myself. I never ever considered a Titan because I suppose I never felt I was worth that kind of outlay just to treat myself.

The RTX series has made me question what I'm actually getting for my outlay, and the answer is "not enough".

Exactly my thoughts too mate, once upon a time it was a must to upgrade, but like you say not getting anywhere near decent value for your hard earned cash now. With no decent performance improvements like generations gone past.

Soldato
I'm really torn seeing how badly the 1080ti performs on rdr2 whether to pick up a 2080ti on black Friday when we should see a few more under the £1k mark or hold out for the 3000 series which according to awesome hardware should be a bit cheaper than the 2000 series launch prices.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm really torn seeing how badly the 1080ti performs on rdr2 whether to pick up a 2080ti on black Friday when we should see a few more under the £1k mark or hold out for the 3000 series which according to awesome hardware should be a bit cheaper than the 2000 series launch prices.
Just lower settings a little until the 3000 series comes out. Your future self will thank you for this.

Soldato
Gamers Nexus mentioned the 1080ti was performing below expectations on rdr2 so at least I know the less than stellar performance I'm getting isn't to do with my card specifically. Still it is disappointing at 1440p

Permabanned
Stretching it out to cover poor sales but also the lack of competition?

Probably no, maybe technical difficulties to get more performance and efficiency out of the EUV 7nm node.
Maybe Ampere is a close relative to the hot, late, non manufacturable and power hungry Fermi 1.0.

"GA101 cancelled
— kopite7kimi (@kopite7kimi) November 7, 2019"

"Now the main reason we are hearing this news is that industry insiders and experts believe that NVIDIA's Next-Generation Ampere GPUs aren't expected to launch until the end of 2020 or even early 2021. This again means that since NVIDIA won't have a new major launch product for 2020, they would be offering a supercharged RTX 2080 Ti to take on whatever AMD has to release on the high-end side."

If nvidia skips 2019 and 2020 too, that is the perfect opportunity for AMD to strike back.
And very good news for all of us ;)

Soldato
"Now the main reason we are hearing this news is that industry insiders and experts believe that NVIDIA's Next-Generation Ampere GPUs aren't expected to launch until the end of 2020 or even early 2021. This again means that since NVIDIA won't have a new major launch product for 2020, they would be offering a supercharged RTX 2080 Ti to take on whatever AMD has to release on the high-end side."

[/QUOTE

Where did you see this quote?

bru

bru

Soldato
Well hopefully not, but stranger things have happened.

Either this one is true or the Ampere being sampled to AIB's rumour was true, surely they are kinda contradictory as if there was a problem NVIDIA wouldn't of sampled it to AIB's.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Damn. Not good news at all this delay if true.

I think I might just get a PS4 Pro and play Cyberpunk on there as I really don't fancy buying a Turing card at current prices so late into it's life cycle. Unless they do really good deals on black Friday I will just get a PS4 Pro as I want to play Final Fantasy 7 Remake anyways.

Then can replay Cyberpunk 2077 again with RT on the PC when the 3070 comes out.

Soldato
Hmmm now I wants some preciouses this BF

Suppose playing 2077 again makes sense as there are so many variables it would be a different experience if you play differently.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hmmm now I wants some preciouses this BF

Suppose playing 2077 again makes sense as there are so many variables it would be a different experience if you play differently.
If that game is half as good as I think it will be, I will be playing a lot more than 2 playthroughs :)

Back
Top Bottom