• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
comparisons are tricky atm due to the grossly over priced 2080Ti, for a 30% gain I'd still want to see a much lower price for the new sku OR much higher perf across the board if they want me to part with 1k. Not gonna play this 70% markup game Nvidia are playing

Soldato
A little over £800 in the US for a base spec 2080Ti. I'd pay that here I suppose but reluctantly as I'd need to add a block to it too.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
comparisons are tricky atm due to the grossly over priced 2080Ti, for a 30% gain I'd still want to see a much lower price for the new sku OR much higher perf across the board if they want me to part with 1k. Not gonna play this 70% markup game Nvidia are playing

If the new Ti is only 30% better I won’t bother.

If it’s a bigger improvement, 50% or more, I’ll bite and give my kids my 2080Ti and a nice new UW monitor.

Dependent on price though I suppose.

Soldato
Doesn't Metro Exodus just use RT for global illumination? I tried it on my 1080Ti where I found some areas looked better and some worse. But in general you would still need an RTX ON logo in the corner to remind you it was on.

depends on the scene

turn rayvtracing on while in the train = mind blowing it looks like a totally different game.

also the better and worse comment is funny. It's something I've brought up before - ray tracing makes game look more realistic but it seems a lot of people don't want realism, now that it's here they don't like it anymore and prefer the stylised older game design approaches.

Soldato
2080Ti seems to be bottlenecked to **** on anything less than 4k, I can imagine it should be within touching distance if it's a decent boost (upto 1440p/UW at least).

It does seem most game transfer to a cpu bottleneck once framerates hit around 120fps or more. And more isn't always better - for the smoothest gaming experience you want a balance between the cpu and gpu - if either bottleneck you get stutters. So it's importAnt to keep expectations realistic as gpus have far outpaced cpus - anything approaching or faster than the 2080ti is best for a 4K screen or bigger.

Permabanned
It does seem most game transfer to a cpu bottleneck once framerates hit around 120fps or more. And more isn't always better - for the smoothest gaming experience you want a balance between the cpu and gpu - if either bottleneck you get stutters. So it's importAnt to keep expectations realistic as gpus have far outpaced cpus - anything approaching or faster than the 2080ti is best for a 4K screen or bigger.

Err? Stutters appear when the CPU is overloaded or when the memory subsystems transfer/load textures......

Permabanned
depends on the scene

turn rayvtracing on while in the train = mind blowing it looks like a totally different game.

also the better and worse comment is funny. It's something I've brought up before - ray tracing makes game look more realistic but it seems a lot of people don't want realism, now that it's here they don't like it anymore and prefer the stylised older game design approaches.

Just out of interest, how long did you spend in the train?

With or without RTX, it doesn't look realistic to me at any point, even in the train. Remember, these cards are not able to provide full scene RT.

Man of Honour
People are getting their hopes up to high for the next gen cards.

Conventional performance will be impressive as it is with a 2080 Ti but Ray Tracing will still be very poor.

If RTX Titans in SLI can not do it well now there is no way any new single card will with less performance.

And the price of the top end new cards will be painful if they have dies the same size as Turing but on 7nm to get the extra performance.:eek:

Ampere is going to be very controversial if NVidia stick with Ray Tracing and also want a performance bump over Turing.

Anyone who wants Ampere should start saving now for an experience which is going to be a little disappointing.

Permabanned
People are getting their hopes up to high for the next gen cards.

Conventional performance will be impressive as it is with a 2080 Ti but Ray Tracing will still be very poor.

If RTX Titans in SLI can not do it well now there is no way any new single card will with less performance.

And the price of the top end new cards will be painful if they have dies the same size as Turing but on 7nm to get the extra performance.:eek:

Ampere is going to be very controversial if NVidia stick with Ray Tracing and also want a performance bump over Turing.

Anyone who wants Ampere should start saving now for an experience which is going to be a little disappointing.

Isn't RT subject to improvements like Tesselation has been so far?
They could put more and better RT cores and the ray-tracing performance would dramatically improve?

Soldato
I think also by the time Ampere settles, reviews are out , all models have been released AND available to buy you're basically looking at a year from now pretty much.

So this breaks my 'wait if it's three months or less away' rule.

I've got the upgrade itch and am looking to scratch it this year's black Friday.
2080Ti is what I want, a 2080S is the minimum I need.

Man of Honour
Isn't RT subject to improvements like Tesselation has been so far?
They could put more and better RT cores and the ray-tracing performance would dramatically improve?

They don't have nowhere near enough hardware even using RTX Titans in SLI to run a full implementation of Ray Tracing at acceptable fps using 2160p. Any new single Ampere card won't be able to match a pair of RTX Titans in SLI unless there is more than 100% performance increase moving from Turing to Ampere.

I am sure there will be people who won't like what I am saying but to be honest acceptable Ray Tracing is still a couple of GPU generations away.

I am sure there will be more RT cores on Ampere but it still won't be enough.

Back
Top Bottom