• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
The rumours are getting ridiculous now. The same article that say a 2080ti super is coming also say Ampere is delayed because Nvidia isn't going to use 7nm anymore, it's now going to use Samsung's 5nm... comon.. Are we really expected to believe Samsung will have mass production 5nm ready in 2020 for Ampere?

Heck maybe
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3078674/samsung-5nm-chips-2020

I don't think we will see any real leaks until see from competition on the high end from AMD (lol) or Intels Xe, then there be a slow trickle of "leaks" im sure

Soldato
Lol. Nice upgrade there going from a 2080 to a 2080S :p

You should have got a 2080Ti from the start and be done with it. But i think you are like me and enjoy trying out different cards. For me it also depends on what I am playing at the time and if I need the grunt.

How much did you pay for the 2080$?

Ha yeah the plan was to use 1660 Ti as stopgap until either 2080 Ti dropped in price (I won't spend over a grand for a GPU) or something new from AMD appeared. Neither happened .. xD

Think this card was around £660. The performance VS price is not too bad in 'current market', so it'll do until we get a proper generational upgrade sometime prob late next year.

It is very very fast, cool and quiet. Can't ask for much more than that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ha yeah the plan was to use 1660 Ti as stopgap until either 2080 Ti dropped in price (I won't spend over a grand for a GPU) or something new from AMD appeared. Neither happened .. xD

Think this card was around £660. The performance VS price is not too bad in 'current market', so it'll do until we get a proper generational upgrade sometime prob late next year.

It is very very fast, cool and quiet. Can't ask for much more than that.
Is it worth the extra money over a 2070S though? That seems like a lot of extra money for very little extra performance. Less than 20% is it not? Closer to 10%?

To cover myself I will likely get a PS4 Pro so I can play Cyberpunk 2077 on there if the 3070 does not arrive in time. There are so many exclusives on there now that I have not played so it would be worth it as PS5 is still at least a year away.

Lets see if the LG B9 55" drops under the magical 1K marker in black friday. If so I will grab that also to go with it.

Soldato
Is it worth the extra money over a 2070S though? That seems like a lot of extra money for very little extra performance. Less than 20% is it not? Closer to 10%?

To cover myself I will likely get a PS4 Pro so I can play Cyberpunk 2077 on there if the 3070 does not arrive in time. There are so many exclusives on there now that I have not played so it would be worth it as PS5 is still at least a year away.

Lets see if the LG B9 55" drops under the magical 1K marker in black friday. If so I will grab that also to go with it.

I dunno I found anything under 2080 (OG) to not be much of an upgrade from last gen.

2080 S and 2080 Ti are beastly cards. The Ti just too damn expensive for me.

Now the long wait for proper next gen cards next year. Tbh I don't need anymore power yet.

I've got PS4 Pro and Xbox One X like yourself, they are ok, but 'consoles' you know xD I like locked 60 FPS to much xD

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I dunno I found anything under 2080 (OG) to not be much of an upgrade from last gen.

2080 S and 2080 Ti are beastly cards. The Ti just too damn expensive for me.

Now the long wait for proper next gen cards next year. Tbh I don't need anymore power yet.

I've got PS4 Pro and Xbox One X like yourself, they are ok, but 'consoles' you know xD I like locked 60 FPS to much xD
Haha. I don't have those consoles. I have a Switch. I was going to wait for a PS5, but that is 12 months away now so picking up a PS4 Pro on Black Friday. Will probably keep it for 9 months then sell and wait for the PS5 :D

Permabanned
Haha. I don't have those consoles. I have a Switch. I was going to wait for a PS5, but that is 12 months away now so picking up a PS4 Pro on Black Friday. Will probably keep it for 9 months then sell and wait for the PS5 :D

Buy Ryzen 9 3900/X and Radeon VII and you will be fine without any PS5.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Buy Ryzen 9 3900/X and Radeon VII and you will be fine without any PS5.
Nah. See its comments like this that make you sound nooby at times man.

Ryzen 3600 and a RTX 3070 will be a much better combo. Not to mention surely by now you know I game at 4K so those extra cores will make no difference in majority of games, probably none actually.

Then there is the PS5. Where else will I get all the exclusives? Also I want that console to go with an OLED TV for the living room ;)

Permabanned
Nah. See its comments like this that make you sound nooby at times man.

Ryzen 3600 and a RTX 3070 will be a much better combo. Not to mention surely by now you know I game at 4K so those extra cores will make no difference in majority of games, probably none actually.

Then there is the PS5. Where else will I get all the exclusives? Also I want that console to go with an OLED TV for the living room ;)

Nah, I have that expectation that Ryzen 5 3600 will age bad once the consoles hit the market and the game developers start pushing those 8-cores / 16-threads of the console.
Ryzen 9 3900 is the way to go for future proofing. It's the fastest gaming chip AMD has to offer now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nah, I have that expectation that Ryzen 5 3600 will age bad once the consoles hit the market and the game developers start pushing those 8-cores / 16-threads of the console.
Ryzen 9 3900 is the way to go for future proofing. It's the fastest gaming chip AMD has to offer now.
You have a lot to learn man.

By the time the 3600 ages, I will be able to sell it and upgrade to a 4900X on the cheap as they are sold to clear way for the 5900X or people sell them on members market. This will work out cheaper and I will end up with better ipc.

You need to expand your thinking. AMD would never hire you with the comments you come out with here :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The 3600 is already old. You can't game+stream with it, and you can't multi-task + game with it. I don't like it because the likelihood for micro-stutter is 90% or higher :D
Dude. The amount of rubbish you talk is unbelievable. You get like 1 thing right and 2 things wrong. Lol

Did you ask if I stream or care to stream? I mean which percentage of people really even do this?? I can game just fine and it uses 20-30% of the CPU actually... It is even overkill for 4K 60fps which are my needs. So much rubbish.

So what you are saying is everyone thinks, feels and plays games the way you do. This explains a lot of your posts. Clearly you also did not read the Wikipedia link I showed you not so long ago. Either that or it went over your head. Lol.

You need to understand what a persons needs are before giving advice or making assumptions.

So now explain to me how is a 3600 already old and no good for my needs?

bru

bru

Soldato
The 3600 is already old. You can't game+stream with it, and you can't multi-task + game with it. I don't like it because the likelihood for micro-stutter is 90% or higher :D

It was only released on July 7th so that only makes it 4 months old.
As for gaming and streaming, of course you can. OBS will run a dual core, as will Shadow play with just 2GB of ram, so I'm pretty sure you can find a game or three that will run quite happily along side one of those.
My son happily plays and streams on his 2600 and myself I have gamed and streamed on my Xenon 5650 which is a six core @4.4 GHz that is definitely old now.

Associate
Ampere will be out next year and it will be on 7nm. If you can not wait and you are in the market for a new RTX based card only buy if you can get a very good discount.
Same go`s for Intel CPU`s next years refresh will see price drops on the coffee lakes and if you are waiting for the 10 core forget it just get the AMD 12 core.
And :rolleyes: if you can wait for Brexit to be sorted you could knock off £100 on current pricing.
A lot of waiting :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
It was only released on July 7th so that only makes it 4 months old.
As for gaming and streaming, of course you can. OBS will run a dual core, as will Shadow play with just 2GB of ram, so I'm pretty sure you can find a game or three that will run quite happily along side one of those.
My son happily plays and streams on his 2600 and myself I have gamed and streamed on my Xenon 5650 which is a six core @4.4 GHz that is definitely old now.

People say no to Ryzen 5 3600. AMD itself presented the 12-core Ryzen 9 3900X as a good streamer while the 8-core i9-9900K produced 2-3 FPS.

People-disagree-Ryzen-5-3600-is-not-enough.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c4k34l/willl_ryzen_5_3600_be_enough_for_1080p_streaming/

Associate
Except the console chips will be clocked so low (2.5-3ghz tops imo) due to power/heat issues that the 6 core desktop variant will outperform it. Not to mention it might have one or two cores also reserved for OS/Background tasks/recording.

bru

bru

Soldato
Permabanned
First line "if you want decent picture quality" so it will do it then just not up to that guys standards.:rolleyes:

My suggestion lower your expectations and you might find it can do it perfectly fine.

There is nothing to lower. If you don't want to be screwed, run as far away as possible from Ryzen 5 1600/2600/3600. :D

You don't know something about me - I can easily force CPUs to microstutter ;)

Back
Top Bottom