• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The Turing cards aren't worth their retail price (especially the 2080S) IMO but I've managed to snag a Gigabyte RTX 2070S Gaming OC that a guy bought and hasn't opened for like two months, purchase proof included. Paid less than I did for my MSI 1070 Gaming X that I now sold for around 140 quid so it turned out to be the cheapest and most worthwhile upgrade ever for me.

The card runs really cool and quiet, no coil whine etc. and can run RDR2 1440p at pretty high details without problems. It's vastly more powerful than my 1070 and I can now wait to see what Ampere brings while enjoying some games properly knowing I've spent relatively little money on the upgrade:D If it's not a significant step-up, I'll stick with what I have.
Yeah. I went with getting a PS4 Pro instead as I could not bring myself to pay the asking price for Turing which is getting closer to end of its life cycle. If Nvidia do not release the 3070 by the time Cyberpunk 2077 is out then I can just play that on my PS4 Pro on my OLED, so in no rush whatsoever now :D

Soldato
Yeah. I went with getting a PS4 Pro instead as I could not bring myself to pay the asking price for Turing which is getting closer to end of its life cycle. If Nvidia do not release the 3070 by the time Cyberpunk 2077 is out then I can just play that on my PS4 Pro on my OLED, so in no rush whatsoever now :D

Lots of good PS4 games so should keep you busy for a while, enjoy:) I still have my Pro and with the upgrade to an unused 2070S costing me less than 240 quid overall, I'm also pretty much set for now:D

I'll probably sell my console after TLOU2 and put that towards PS5 funds or sell the 2070S as well depending on how it copes and get an Ampere :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lots of good PS4 games so should keep you busy for a while, enjoy:) I still have my Pro and with the upgrade to an unused 2070S costing me less than 240 quid overall, I'm also pretty much set for now:D

I'll probably sell my console after TLOU2 and put that towards PS5 funds or sell the 2070S as well depending on how it copes and get an Ampere :p
Yeah, I want to play TLOU2 and FF7 Remake. As you say plenty of exclusives to keep me busy. Like you I will sell the PS4 Pro to fund the PS5. But what I may do is wait a year or so after the launch of the PS5 to pick it up to let some exclusives to build up as I am playing them all now that I have a PS4 Pro.

Good price for that upgrade. You have everything covered for now, enjoy :)

Soldato
Yeah, I want to play TLOU2 and FF7 Remake. As you say plenty of exclusives to keep me busy. Like you I will sell the PS4 Pro to fund the PS5. But what I may do is wait a year or so after the launch of the PS5 to pick it up to let some exclusives to build up as I am playing them all now that I have a PS4 Pro.

Good price for that upgrade. You have everything covered for now, enjoy :)

Yeah, I won't get it on release either, I waited like 3 years till I finally grabbed a PS4:p Waiting gets you better deals and more exclusives as you've said. I don't even game that much TBH so I can wait, I just like to play at decent quality when I actually do:D

Permabanned
What do you think about this information?

"GA101 cancelled

— kopite7kimi (@kopite7kimi) November 7, 2019"
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-super-q1-2020-launch-rumor/

and this:

GA100 largest chip
  • 800mm2 die
  • 55 Billion transistors
  • 2304 Gbps bandwidth speed
  • 6 HMB memory stacks
GA101 half performance chip
  • 400mm2 die
  • Around 30 Billion transistors
  • Half memory speed
  • 3 HMB memory stacks
  • Cancelled
Now it is absolutely not ready for anything.

Even in 2020 it is expected only small test manufacturing with level of defects reaching 70-80%.
We can see Nvidia chips delays as much as 2 years (original release must had been late 2019), and they can see light in 2021-2022.
Rumors are that original plans had been to use 7nm by Samsung, but results had been so horrible that Nvidia decided to wait for mythical 5nm EUV.

I think it won't happen in 2020. And instead we'll see anther rehash of existing cards with memory upgrades.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/22993/nvidia-ampere-gpus-coming

Man of Honour
After previous issues nVidia spent ages evaluating price, availability, etc. at 7nm before choosing who to use, etc. they won't have walked into a situation where yields are that bad unless Samsung has lied and deceived them.

Also 800mm2 isn't credible on a 7nm EUV process at this time.

Permabanned
After previous issues nVidia spent ages evaluating price, availability, etc. at 7nm before choosing who to use, etc. they won't have walked into a situation where yields are that bad unless Samsung has lied and deceived them.

Also 800mm2 isn't credible on a 7nm EUV process at this time.

Well, 55 B and 30 B transistors would mean extremely high transistor density for the quoted die sizes.
Poor Navi 10 and Vega 20 have only around 40 MTr/mm^2. These figures go up to 68.75 MTr/mm^2 and 75 MTr/mm^2.

Is it even possible for the EUV equipment to make this before N5 EUV node?

Man of Honour
Well, 55 B and 30 B transistors would mean extremely high transistor density for the quoted die sizes.
Poor Navi 10 and Vega 20 have only around 40 MTr/mm^2. These figures go up to 68.75 MTr/mm^2 and 75 MTr/mm^2.

Is it even possible for the EUV equipment to make this before N5 EUV node?

Samsung has around 50% yields on simple test ICs at slightly over 800mm2 (7nm EUV) - that isn't really a suitable level for GPU production at that kind of size - probably not for another 18-24 months of maturity post volume production but likely indicates that 70-80% level of defects at more normal sizes is BS.

Permabanned
Sounds fake and here is why

800mm on 7nm is ridiculous, there is a reason AMD stuck to 200-250mm

GV100 is 815 mm^2 in the Tesla V100 PCIe 32 GB.
800 mm^2 would be a normal die size for Tesla A100...

The second quote sounds quasi accurate, the facts point to it being not false because:
- nvidia just recently announced Tesla V100S https://wccftech.com/nvidia-tesla-v100s-server-gpu-16-tflops-over-1tb-hbm2/
- we expect RTX 2080 Ti Super
- there is absolutely zero credible evidence that Ampere exists. Normally, there are benchmark leaks of unknown, unrecognized new GPUs, now there are none.

Only forecasts by some analysts using data based on previous launches and the periods between them. Meh.

Caporegime
Samsung has around 50% yields on simple test ICs at slightly over 800mm2 (7nm EUV) - that isn't really a suitable level for GPU production at that kind of size - probably not for another 18-24 months of maturity post volume production but likely indicates that 70-80% level of defects at more normal sizes is BS.

Well, Ampere is likely the Volta replacement and poor yields could be viable when the GPUs are sold at 12K each like Volta originally was.

The rumours are all over the place. It may even be the case that Nvidia is skipping 7nm EUV and going straight to 5nm EUV. Perhaps yields are simlar but performance gains are significant enough that a 6 month delay is acceptable.

If Nvidia are delaying consumer gaming GPUs then it is most liekly because they don;t feel threatened by AMD at all in 2020 so can afford to maximize Turing sales and wait for yields to improve.

Soldato
Unless they wanted an absolute killer of a generation they won't go that big. There's no need for them to even if it is within the realms of possibility.

Also seeing the memory listed as 'HMB' instead of 'HBM' makes me doubt it immediately.

Back
Top Bottom