1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA Next Generation ‘Ampere’ 7nm Graphics Cards Landing 1H 2020

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LoadsaMoney, Oct 4, 2019.

1. TNA

Capodecina

Drunkenmaster. Now that’s a name I have not seen in a while. Practically forgot he existed :p

2. D.P.

Caporegime

I believe RDNA1 does have variable rate shading but it is not enabled in drivers, probably more hardware failures like several of the vega features than were never enabled.
    But VRS gets you about 5% performance and it is not free performance. The developers have to put ina lot of work to amke sure only suitable surfaces see a reduction in shading rate.

3. D.P.

Caporegime

Adaptive shading doesn't boost performance by anywhere near that much, and it requires active developer support.

But your power figures are wildly optimistic. Console tend to be design around about a 100-140w load average when gaming. They may peak higher at times, and Sony/MS may be willing to push that but they wont run 300w average.

4. Grim5

Mobster

Have you seen what the new xbox looks like? It's 60% bigger than the biggest xbox console produced in the current generation. Next gen machines are big *because* they will drawing more power than ever before.

And this extra 60% is not because they need space for performance components, in fact space should go down moving from mechanical drives to a nvme SSD etc. The extra space is mostly for cooling. This is just a rumour: but windows central reported the xbox uses a very big fan to draw hot air out of the case (think 180 to 200mm), hence it's width and the remaining space is taken up by "innovative cooling solution", which includes heatpipes - heatpipes are rarely seen in consoles as heatpipes aren't needed for dissapating small power draw where you can have the heatsink direct on the die. Larger loads where you have unique heatsink designs are helped by heatpipes transporting heat effectively

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  5. KillBoY_UK

Mobster

at most those cores will be RDNA + RT like the GTX 1660 is Turing -RT. Its still VERY unlikely they be a massive same node jump in PPW in such a short time frame.

6. TNA

Capodecina

We’ll see.

7. haszek

Wise Guy

Cyberpunk delayed till September so it will be possible to play on day 1 with new cards :p

8. melmac

Soldato

Actually I think I am going to go with the PS5 this time around. Skipped the PS4, so the PS5 would be a nice change from a Microsoft world.

9. TNA

Capodecina

You won’t be disappointed. I am loving catching up with all these exclusives on my PS4 Pro. Just make sure you have an OLED TV ;)

10. TheRealDeal

Sgarrista

Not as good as an HDR OLED tv but i play my ps4 pro on an HDR 4k IPS monitor and it does a pretty decent job. All my Favourite single player experiences are on PS4 as the games are polished to the max and you can tell time was taken to make the experience.

11. TNA

Capodecina

Like you I am into single player experiences. Done HZD, playing Spider-Man now and next up is God of War :D

Got Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Resident Evil 3 Remake on pre-order. After that I will get Last of Us 2 ;)

12. melmac

Soldato

I agree with this, everyone is forgetting about how much bigger the new case is. I think the it will consume more power than any previous console. Digital Foundry reckons it will use 300W!!

13. melmac

Soldato

Why do you think the new Xbox X is going to use the same power as the previous one? Microsoft have shown that they will increase power consumption to get the performance. Look at the difference between the Xbox one and the Xbox one X. Depending on the game there could be 60/70 watts or more in the difference. There are already sites that think the Xbox X will use a lot more than 200W.

We shall indeed :) I still think the top Xbox X of the series running at 2080 speeds is much more likely than it running at 2060S speeds.

14. melmac

Soldato

Funnily enough, I do have an OLED TV :cool:

15. greatash

Hitman

Cyberpunk delayed until September. Maybe Ampere will be out by then :D

16. XeNoNF50

Wise Guy

That's the hope!

17. Perfect_Chaos

Mobster

Zen 3 & an Ampere card for me.

18. XeNoNF50

Wise Guy

I'm good on the CPU front but looking forward to 3080 or 3080ti dependent on performance and price upgrading from 1080ti for 4k hdr

19. Grim5

Mobster

For me its a 3080ti + one of these new AIO badboys slapped on it

20. XeNoNF50

Wise Guy

That looks AWESOME!

I'm potentially contemplating both, one for desktop and other for Alienware amplifier with in the living room.

Part of me thinks they'll go back to staggered release where the ti comes out after the non ti.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020