• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I'm the same. I have a little savings pot and there's been money for a new GPU in there since around August 2018! A nice round £500 and I'll add whatever my 1080ti sells for.

Is double the performance a reasonable expectation when going 1080ti to 3080ti? It can't be far off, surely?
I don’t think £500 + your 1080Ti will get you a 3080Ti. Gonna need a second pot.

Soldato
I don’t think £500 + your 1080Ti will get you a 3080Ti. Gonna need a second pot.

Most likely £500+£1080Ti and £1000 or a kidney or two. Seriously given the huge price increases in just about everything these days expect Nvidia to slap us with silly prices. Can't believe people are paying £1500 for phones these days.

Soldato

It doesn't have to be a 3080ti, it can be whatever name they want to call it. As long as it's in my price range and has the significant performance upgrade from my 1080ti.

If the criteria isn't met, I'm happy to do what I did last time and keep my money. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It doesn't have to be a 3080ti, it can be whatever name they want to call it. As long as it's in my price range and has the significant performance upgrade from my 1080ti.

If the criteria isn't met, I'm happy to do what I did last time and keep my money. :)
You will either end up with a 3070 like I probably will or end up giving in and going all out. What you won't be doing is keeping your money, this I am almost certain off. Jensen will have your moneys one way or the other :p

Soldato

Indeed, that was my thinking too. But I think i'll bail out of PC gaming this year.

Soldato
Indeed, that was my thinking too. But I think i'll bail out of PC gaming this year.

I don't think I could move to console, and with my current setup I don't think it would provide any benefit; it would be another pointless outlay of cash.

If prices turn out to be on another upward trend, then I'll tweak the settings down and keep an eye on the second hand market.

Soldato
I don't think I could move to console, and with my current setup I don't think it would provide any benefit; it would be another pointless outlay of cash.

If prices turn out to be on another upward trend, then I'll tweak the settings down and keep an eye on the second hand market.

I have a Switch that i use now and then, but I game less and less these days because I feel that i'm a gamer of yesteryear, I don't fit this generation. So I think that's it for me now, I might keep my PC but not upgrade it, just replay the games I enjoy and let it burnout over time. Depends If I feel i want the money back.

Mobster
Soldato
As with the 2080 Ti and Titan X you can expect to pay £900 or so for the 3080 ti.

100%, the **** cards will be £900 +

The 3080Ti or whatever they decide to call it will all be the exact same as 2080Ti prices with the normal paper launch in which you wont be able to buy them as no-one has stock and if there is stock you will pay £1500-£1600+ easily.

Soldato
This is why I said we need a competitive AMD as well as pressure from the consoles.

If Nvidia start losing GPU sales to people choosing consoles instead of 3000 series cards then we will see lower prices.

Last edited:
Associate
Best thing that can happen is the new consoles have a nice negative impact on the disgraceful gpu prices. Having been into pcs for 20 years & really enjoying overclocking for the first 15 years or so and gaming, the last couple of years have sucked due to limited progress & silly prices. This coupled with getting older and having less times on my hands means I'll hold on to my cash longer.

On a side note I think my last 50 posts here over last 2 years or so are just me whining about gpu prices pretty much :)

Caporegime
This is why I said we need a competitive AMD as well as pressure from the consoles.

If Nvidia start losing GPU sales to people choosing consoles instead of 3000 series cards then we will see lower prices.
Do nV really care about the gaming market? They'll sell plenty to the pro and data centre markets regardless, won't they.

Soldato
I can definitely see your average gamer thinking should I spend money on a PS5 or should I get a 3060 - 3070.

The thing the console has in its favour is it's an all in one system. The GPU needs additional components to be more than a paper weight.

Soldato

Agreed. I have most current gen consoles and apart from the switch I’ve hardly used any of them. The Xbox has next to nothing worth playing and to be honest, I’d take the switch over both my Xbox and ps4 pro any day.

Id buy the switch 2, if that came out. But won’t be buying a ps5 or new Xbox.

They are ok for a casual gaming experience but for me just don’t cut it when wanting to get the best experience for your time.

I can see why most pc gamers are still targeting 1080p 60hz though.

If the 3080Ti comes out at a similar sort of price range it’s unlikely I’ll be upgrading for a while. Mainly due to price. But also because of how well my Ti copes. It’s been a card where I haven’t really desired for any more power.

Back
Top Bottom