1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA Next Generation ‘Ampere’ 7nm Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LoadsaMoney, Oct 4, 2019.

1. D.P.

Caporegime

it requires a small patch.effectively the same as adding new resolution options in the game menu. Game needs recompiling against latest NV API.
    not much more than a few hours coding and testing.

2. BigBANGtheory

Wise Guy

A small patch from whom though? The developer? Ok I’ll wait for the backlog of 100+ games on Steam library to update first THEN charge me for DLSS not one or two AAA titles that I may never play. Might be good tech, might make good headlines but its value prop is **** poor atm until it gets adopted which is Nvidia’s risk not the consumer

3. chaparral

Capodecina

Am hoping they update some the games that support DLSS 1.0 (like Shadow of the tomb raider, Metro Exodus etc ) to support version 2.0

4. IT Troll

Wise Guy

DLSS 2.0 needs integrating into the render pipeline. According to Nvidia it is about as much work as adding TAA.
    Removing DLSS 1.0 may be a bigger job as it is much more invasive. I doubt many studios will spend the time required to do the rework for old games.
    DLSS 2.0 has now been built into Unreal Engine so will be much easier for future games.

5. TNA

Capodecina

Awesome. Hopefully all new games will have it on release.

6. banbom44

Hitman

60 fps every game 4k will do me don't care about that ray tracing stuff.

7. GAC

Mobster

id just be happy with 2080ti raster performance with 2nd gen rt cores stapped on for double performance in ray tracing and 2nd gen tensor cores to boot, all for £350 :D and yes im dreaming, im half expecting them to cut down the number or rt cores even with 2nd gen and end up with the 3070 having near as the same exact perf of the 2080ti in all aspects which would be rather depressing and yes id LIKE it for £350 but i doubt we'l see it for under £450.

8. imginy

Mobster

Oh I really hope the mid range cards are decent at ray tracing.

If not I would rather not have it.

9. GAC

Mobster

well the 3070 should match the 2080ti and possibly beat it a little, as for the ray tracing they should be using 2nd gen rt cores so they will either match performance and make it more power efficient or we may get a actual jump in ray tracing performance. have to see which way nvidia go with it really. as normally id expect them to stiff us as they would want ray tracing to be a selling point for the top end, but with both new consoles packing hardware raytracing they may actually give us that 2nd gen jump (hopefully doubling performance). just gotta wait for jensen and his leather jacket to tell us.

10. imginy

Mobster

lol

Looking forward jensens dodgy bar graphs and leather jacket.

11. GAC

Mobster

roll on christmas i guess.

12. oldbanana

Gangster

Der8auer said on one of his recent videos new cards will be released in the summer, not sure if by accident quess or he knows something we dont.

13. GAC

Mobster

well nvidia is supposed to be releasing gddr6 updates on a few gddr5 cards, so he could been on about them. id have expected more info being leaked by now if it was ampere cards due for summer, unless they mean summer being end of sep which is a possibility. but honestly i wouldnt be surprised if we do see anything ampere based before oct.

14. scubes

Wise Guy

I got my lg 4k 55 inch back in 2018 so that counts me out my tv can do 120hz in 1080p ..

15. Grim5

Mobster

some of the tech guys like Linus and Hardware Unboxed don't have much inside info - they just reviews products based on what gets sent to them - these are what I call filthy casual tech channels. Then you have real tech tubers like gamers nexus and derbauer and digital foundry etc - these guys are much more hands on and do a lot of modding, they have relationship with manufacturers and get their inside information that way.

Motherboard manufacturers are really good to build relationships with, they get early acccess to cpus, ram, gpus and more for very obvious reasons and if you have a friend working there leaking information to you then you are pretty much setup.

16. GAC

Mobster

they still have a better idea than most people on this forum. inc you :p

17. chaparral

Capodecina

So I take it there still no news yet on the 3000 series

18. Quartz

Capodecina

Of course not; we're under 2500 posts in.

19. chaparral

Capodecina

:D

20. DeanT77

Wise Guy

I lol'd :D