• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
As I skipped Turing they will have to get Ampere very badly wrong for me to not leave my 1070

Same.

Same here.

I'm looking to buy a 3070 but if Nvidia continue to take the piscuit regarding pricing, I'm fully prepared to give the 3 series a miss as well.

I've just got so many games to play that the 1070 copes well with, to keep me happy.

Soldato
Someone noticed that the card is flipped in the images. That means it has two fans, one on each side of the heatsink and the power connectors are on the side.

Here is a drawn transparent look at the GPU. Not sure what Nvidia is thinking here, it's a strange cooler design that's for sure

3080conseptcooler94k7h.png

Caporegime
OP
RTX3080 engineering sample prototype coolers

The bottom card, the heatsink looks to be on the top too, as it looks raised from the PCI-E connector, as that still looks to be on the bottom too, and it looks to be the same height as the HDMI/DP bracket, looking at the 2x prongs of it, as that also looks to be above the PCI-E connector, as the PCI-E connector, looks inline with the bottom edge, of the bottom prong. :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Someone noticed that the card is flipped in the images. That means it has two fans, one on each side of the heatsink and the power connectors are on the side.

Here is a drawn transparent look at the GPU. Not sure what Nvidia is thinking here, it's a strange cooler design that's for sure
I doubt that Nvidias final cooler design is one that goes contrary to accepted airflow designs/directions in cases.

Soldato
I doubt that Nvidias final cooler design is one that goes contrary to accepted airflow designs/directions in cases.

I'm wondering if this particular design is optimized for vertical mounting. I know vertical mounting isn't that popular though, but the main reason it's not popular is because of the poor thermals - but this design seems to push heat up through the case instead of into the side panel. Since the power connectors are on the right side of the card, that would also make more sense if the card is intended for vertical mounting.

Caporegime
I'm wondering if this particular design is optimized for vertical mounting. I know vertical mounting isn't that popular though, but the main reason it's not popular is because of the poor thermals - but this design seems to push heat up through the case instead of into the side panel. Since the power connectors are on the right side of the card, that would also make more sense if the card is intended for vertical mounting.
I doubt they will design a cooler for a tiny proportion of people that vertical mount. My opinion until shows definitive evidence to the contrary is that this is either not the final design or that it has been misinterpreted, because I can't believe that NV would come out with a thermal design that does notmake sense for the vast majority of systems.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

3080conseptcooler94k7h.png
Just looks like a funky design and unless there is serious benefit in cooling vs the reference 2000 series then I don’t see it being what gets released. Just another click generator if you ask me.

Caporegime
EDIT:

Flounders Edition, according to WCCF.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-3080-pictured/

From that article:

"According to rumors the RTX 3080 will ship with a GA104 GPU, and replace the existing RTX 2080 with 48 SMs (3072 CUDA cores). This is very slightly more than the RTX 2080 at 46 SMs. Coupled with higher performance throughput and improved RTX cores you are looking at a significant performance increase if this turns out to be true - in fact, it is estimated to be just slightly less in performance than the RTX 2080 Ti current generation flagship. The RTX 3080 GPU will be coupled with 8GB/16GB of vRAM and a 256-bit bus width."

That would be disappointing if so. 3080 less performance than a 2080Ti? I thought the expectation was that the 3070 would be slightly less than the 2080Ti.

bru

bru

Soldato
EDIT:

Flounders Edition, according to WCCF.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-3080-pictured/

According to rumors the RTX 3080 will ship with a GA104 GPU, and replace the existing RTX 2080 with 48 SMs (3072 CUDA cores). This is very slightly more than the RTX 2080 at 46 SMs. Coupled with higher performance throughput and improved RTX cores you are looking at a significant performance increase if this turns out to be true - in fact, it is estimated to be just slightly less in performance than the RTX 2080 Ti current generation flagship.

A massive fail if that is true.

but we have had everything from the 3060 beating the 2080ti to this with the 3080 being slower than the 2080ti.

Personally I cannot see the 3000 series being that slow. I mean AMD gained 50% going from 16nm to 7nm and then another 50% going to 7nm EUV and yet NVidia can only get the 3080 to nearly the 2080ti speed whilst supposedly using the same 7nm EUV node.
Sounds like nonsense to me, but as always only time will tell.

bru

bru

Soldato
From that article:

"According to rumors the RTX 3080 will ship with a GA104 GPU, and replace the existing RTX 2080 with 48 SMs (3072 CUDA cores). This is very slightly more than the RTX 2080 at 46 SMs. Coupled with higher performance throughput and improved RTX cores you are looking at a significant performance increase if this turns out to be true - in fact, it is estimated to be just slightly less in performance than the RTX 2080 Ti current generation flagship. The RTX 3080 GPU will be coupled with 8GB/16GB of vRAM and a 256-bit bus width."

That would be disappointing if so. 3080 less performance than a 2080Ti? I thought the expectation was that the 3070 would be slightly less than the 2080Ti.

Yup thats maybe a paltry 10-15% speed improvement, nonsense of the highest order.

Caporegime
From that article:

AMpere is predicted to be at least 40% increase in raw performance over Turing, and a 2080 Ti is around 25% faster than a 2080 (non-super) I think? So I think it should theoretically be faster if that is true.

Then you need to factor in RT performance of Ampere, which is reportedly 4x the previous generation.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
A massive fail if that is true.

but we have had everything from the 3060 beating the 2080ti to this with the 3080 being slower than the 2080ti.

Personally I cannot see the 3000 series being that slow. I mean AMD gained 50% going from 16nm to 7nm and then another 50% going to 7nm EUV and yet NVidia can only get the 3080 to nearly the 2080ti speed whilst supposedly using the same 7nm EUV node.
Sounds like nonsense to me, but as always only time will tell.

Yeah it would be, considering the rumoured 3070 was going to be 2080 Ti performance, or even faster than it :p

Associate
From that article:

well, the 2080 wasn't better than the 1080ti so it's standard really.

Soldato
The entire 2xxx series seemed to be shoe horned in so nvidia would have something to release, the 3xxx are supposed to be the rtx cards working as they were meant to.

Back
Top Bottom