1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA Next Generation ‘Ampere’ 7nm Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LoadsaMoney, Oct 4, 2019.

1. TNA

Capodecina

That would be majorly disappointing to say the least!

In other words the 3080 is now the new xx70 card with the old xx80 price tag? They will get a lot of flak for going this route.

2. TNA

Capodecina

Never believe a word they say. They cottoned onto people loving fake news before Trump did!

3. Joxeon

Wise Guy

I wouldn't be supprised by this as when these cards were designed AMD was nowhere to be seen so they probably thought they could get away with another turing level increase where almost every card just moves up one tier level from the previous gen.

4. Twinz

Hitman

At this point, I want the $700 price point to be 60% faster than my years-old 1080ti.

I don't care what "tier" they call it. I don't care what numbers they use for the name.

5. opethdisciple

Capodecina

We are in a period of stagnation at the moment as Nvidia are the market leader and there is no competition really nipping at their heels.

A bit like Intel and AMD pre Ryzen. No competition for Intel so they didn't innovate as fast. A slow trickle of progress.

However... hopefully this year is different due to the new console generation providing that much needed competition for consumer dollars.

6. Poneros

Mobster

If 3080 = 2080 ti (-10% & less vram)

That's the absolute nightmare scenario, and you know for sure it's not gonna be cheap at all with that design (nor will AIBs undercut it). $699? $799?

**** all of that.

7. Stu999

Hitman

All the rumours up to today were 3070 at that level. It would be rubbish if that new rumour was true. We’d be counting on AMD in that situation.

8. Sargatanas2511

Mobster

It would be interesting to see Nvidia under-offer, see that AMD have better products than they expected and then to have to refresh within months to compete.

I wonder how people would think of them then.

9. Jacky60

Hitman

Surely its the same card upside down, it was fans on both upper and lower surfaces as per the schematic. Nvm someone already pointed this out.

10. Jacky60

Hitman

Can't see any SLI connectors!

11. Grim5

Suspended

It's not a Nvidia diagram I would ignore the pcb it's just to show the fan positions

Sli is dead anyway.

12. Grim5

Suspended

13. Sargatanas2511

Mobster

Depends on other improvements made. Honestly slightly faster at normal games and much better RT would probably be fine.

14. Jacky60

Hitman

+1 Exactly the same sentiment here.

15. Jacky60

Hitman

SLI is dead is always trotted out by those who don't have it, it's simply nonsense :rolleyes:. I've had 1080ti SLI for 3 years and it works in the majority of games I play and it destroys (as in grinds into dust) the 2080ti in the games that support it:D. You'll know its dead when there are no connectors on the cards. If there really aren't and Nvidia are abandoning it I'll skip this generation as it won't be worth the paltry performance gains.

16. Richdog

Capodecina

Replace dead with "becoming far less relevant" and it would be more accurate. :p

17. The Old School Gamer

Hitman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's certainly a little strange.

Going by the photo it does not seam possible that there is direct air flow getting from one side of the card to the other (the middle fin stack is in the way).
    I suspect both fans are actually sucking cold air in to flat heat pipes or a cold plate.

Could be wrong it's only a guess.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  18. ArmitageShanks

Hitman

I got one from the earlier batches and I was howling in anguish because it was defective. As was its replacement. I'll be leaving this one for a few months after release to see it pans out first, not going to fall for Nvidia's crap again.

19. opethdisciple

Capodecina

If a 3080 was a 2080ti with double RT performance for £750 what would you say?

20. opethdisciple

Capodecina

From this design it looks like the air is going round in a circular motion. In via one fan - across the PCB and out via the other fan.