• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Gaslight has been a word for years now and it's actually a good one. ;) Claiming that no-one has problems doesn't mean no-one has problems, it just makes you sound irrational and in denial. Go read the 5700XT thread people who clearly know about PC's have had problems.

Reading comprehension has been around even longer ;) I said "a lot of that" not all of that or everyone who has an issue is making it up. That makes you sound irrational as you obviously jump to conclusions if you perceive anything to be pro AMD. There are lots of people who "know about PC's" apparently on here, lots of them assert all sorts of rubbish and are very tribal, doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. PC's are so complex it's very hard to ascertain the cause of an issue. Probably why most professionals just cut their losses and reimage a machine instead of faffing around trying to diagnose the problem :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Reading comprehension has been around even longer ;) I said "a lot of that" not all of that or everyone who has an issue is making it up. That makes you sound irrational as you obviously jump to conclusions if you perceive anything to be pro AMD. There are lots of people who "know about PC's" apparently on here, lots of them assert all sorts of rubbish and are very tribal, doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. PC's are so complex it's very hard to ascertain the cause of an issue. Probably why most professionals just cut their losses and reimage a machine instead of faffing around trying to diagnose the problem :rolleyes:
It's clear what you are insinuating and I am not trying to exaggerate anything. I don't think everyone will have problems with AMD drivers, or that they are in general a disaster, but reports from experienced members are consistent and that has to be acknowledged, not dismissed. You can't blame everything on bad hardware configurations.

In the last couple of decades of being a regular poster on this forum I have seen that yes, there are lots of members who rubbish, it's the same on any large forum, but there are also lots of experienced members who don't.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's clear what you are insinuating and I am not trying to exaggerate anything. I don't think everyone will have problems with AMD drivers, or that they are in general a disaster, but reports from experienced members are consistent and that has to be acknowledged, not dismissed. You can't blame everything on bad hardware configurations.

In the last couple of decaded of being a regular poster on this forum I have seen that yes, there are lots of members who rubbish, but there are also lots of experienced members who don't.
I have been through all the amd cards since fury and the drivers aren't bad they just have more to play with and go wrong. They have teething issues with new hardware but so did ryzen. It feels to me like it's just been the easiest way to dismiss an amd card lately.. Drivers suck.. But having gone from a v64 to 2080 and now back to a radeon 7 I'm actually preferring amds and have no problems at all apart from when I fiddle to much, but that happens when you have nvidia but it happens in afterburner instead so isn't blamed on the drivers. Where as all the afterburner features are in the amd driver. You see what I mean?

Soldato
I have been through all the amd cards since fury and the drivers aren't bad they just have more to play with and go wrong. They have teething issues with new hardware but so did ryzen. It feels to me like it's just been the easiest way to dismiss an amd card lately.. Drivers suck.. But having gone from a v64 to 2080 and now back to a radeon 7 I'm actually preferring amds and have no problems at all apart from when I fiddle to much, but that happens when you have nvidia but it happens in afterburner instead so isn't blamed on the drivers. Where as all the afterburner features are in the amd driver. You see what I mean?

Very good point.

Soldato
Very good point.

Without wanting to derail the thread it is a good point all I did was install the drivers that people who have the card say are fine, ie April and thats it. I've not touched any of the options whatsoever apart from turning on Enhanced Sync. Not done any overclocking/undervolting etc just left everything as is and I've been fine. Also I`m still on Windows 10 1909. I dont deny people are having problems but just to blame the AMD Drivers and thats it just seems wrong when the driver is the constant here. I dont want to alienate anyone but if its as bad as people saying "Dont buy AMD card as the drivers are awful" then I have been very lucky. I am not a lucky person.

That being said to point back on topic Nvidia are going to get more sales due to the fact AMD Drivers are carrying a stigma of being awful. Unless Nvidia screw it up with the new CP of course. ;)

Soldato
Honestly I had a 9700pro, X800XTPE, X1800, X1900XTX, 3870, 4870, 5870, 7970 and a 390X and never had any significant problems of any kind with AMD/ATi drivers. I do however have issues with plugging in my 4K TV to my 1080Ti which causes the drivers to crash intermittently which I have tried to fix over 3 years but just can't seem to get rid of it.

The AMD driver issues are massively overblown in my opinion.

Soldato
Honestly I had a 9700pro, X800XTPE, X1800, X1900XTX, 3870, 4870, 5870, 7970 and a 390X and never had any significant problems of any kind with AMD/ATi drivers. I do however have issues with plugging in my 4K TV to my 1080Ti which causes the drivers to crash intermittently which I have tried to fix over 3 years but just can't seem to get rid of it.

The cynic In me says it's a marketing technique smear campaign lol

Man of Honour

You have a short memory or didn't play some fairly popular games on release - there were periods, and a lot of where ATI got its driver stigma from, where you'd be waiting weeks after quite a few a new game release for proper driver support amongst other things. That only really changed from 2010 onwards (on that note aside from the 5600/5700 issues AMD drivers of the last decade have been a very different story to where they originally got their reputation from).

The cynic In me says it's a marketing technique smear campaign lol

On those lines - nVidia with its way its meant to be played program, etc. often had a beta driver out for new games and a release day ready driver which added contrast to ATI/AMD sometimes not having a great driver readiness for new games at times.

Caporegime
You have a short memory or didn't play some fairly popular games on release - there were periods, and a lot of where ATI got its driver stigma from,

The driver stigma stems from LOOOOOOOOOONG before that, i'm pretty sure it started with the rage fury Maxx which never really worked properly. Also the Radeon 8500 which on paper should have handily beaten it's competition but was held back by shoddy driver support.

Man of Honour
The driver stigma stems from LOOOOOOOOOONG before that, i'm pretty sure it started with the rage fury Maxx which never really worked properly. Also the Radeon 8500 which on paper should have handily beaten it's competition but was held back by shoddy driver support.

Yeah I had a ATI Rage card where you used to have to change drivers depending on what game you wanted to play that day and it would love to suddenly fall over to 4bit colour until you rebooted :s and there were all kinds of rendering support issues with the Rage Pro to the point games like Quake 3 has hard coded work arounds specific to the game (because they gave up ever waiting on driver fixes).

Soldato
You have a short memory or didn't play some fairly popular games on release - there were periods, and a lot of where ATI got its driver stigma from, where you'd be waiting weeks after quite a few a new game release for proper driver support amongst other things. That only really changed from 2010 onwards (on that note aside from the 5600/5700 issues AMD drivers of the last decade have been a very different story to where they originally got their reputation from).

I was well aware of the driver stigma but I never experienced anything of any significance. The worst I had was locked clocks when using 2 monitors. I never experienced any kind of black screens or games not functioning.

Soldato
May have already been discussed earlier in thread but am I correct in saying that the lower level cards are going to come later and it's just 3080/3090 vaguely ear marked for day one at present

My budget doesn't extend up to the top end so it's pretty important to me. I mean if the 3060 was around 2070s+ power that would be great for say 350-400 (I know I might be hoping HARD there lol)

Caporegime
Adrenaline is modern has everything that afterburner has built into it and all the streaming and recording, plus all the geforce experience stuff and doesn't look like Windows 95 like nvidias

Except that Wattman loses settings whereas AB never does. Had that from it's launch and it's extremely irritating.

Soldato
No one really knows for sure. It wouldn't surprise me if the mid range and lower came a little later. They would likely be announced as one, but available staggered. I can't remember though if that was the case with the 20 series ???

IIRC It was released in August (I remember the BIOS date of my 2080) and the 2080/2080ti available first and the 2060 didnt turn up till Feb/March the next year.

Yep just checked 2060 BIOS date was late Dec 2018 so early 2019 release. 2060 Founders Edition was 25/11/2018. So looking at least 5/6 months after September going on previous release only and thats providing no stock issues. 2070 was Late Sept/Early Oct.

Back
Top Bottom