• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Doesn't look like anyone has been able to brute force real time ray tracing. When you introduce a new graphics tool that suddenly increases the gpu load by several hundred percent that's going to take time to iron out. Most rayvtraced content in the world today is still movies that get rendered on super computers over a period of weeks or months - not even close to real time
Sure, it's all a marketing ploy. By the time RT is "optimized" it won't be implemented the same way we see it now. Which is why AMD patented the hybrid approach.

I will be surprised if the 3080 can play CP2077 with all the rt elements enabled:
Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion
Ray-Traced Shadows
Ray-Traced Reflections
Ray-Traced Diffuse Illumination

and maintain 60 FPS (Locked) at 1080p (without DLSS). <---That's a low bar folks.

Last edited:
Soldato
What was the specs of the machine they demoed the game on?

They said an RTX2080TI,but going from previous demos,they used a GTX1080TI and a Core i7 8700K. So I would expect maybe a Core i9 9900K??

With the way things are looking brute force doesn't appear to be enough this go around.
I'm looking for cards that has the same amount of gddr6 as well.

We've been clearly told that a 2080ti isn't capable of playing cp2077 at 1080p. Part of that,imo, is do to the lack of bandwidth. If it was pacman rayteaced it would be fine but it's those open world environments that become an issue.

Or we have the W3 situation. Conveniently Maxwell ran it OK,but Kepler and AMD GPUs didn't until CDPR managed to make some performance fixes after some complaints. It's not in the interest of Nvidia,to make Turing run it OK,as they want to sell Ampere GPUs. I would say look at the consoles,especially the new ones,to see what the efficient settings will be! Either way I will switch off all the RTX stuff - if it can't run OK at medium on a GTX1080/RTX2060/RX5700 at 1440p....or even 1080p something is up with the optimisation of the game. It doesn't look that special,if you look past the RT based features.

Soldato
Or we have the W3 situation. Conveniently Maxwell ran it OK,but Kepler and AMD GPUs didn't until CDPR managed to make some performance fixes after some complaints. It's not in the interest of Nvidia,to make Turing run it OK,as they want to sell Ampere GPUs. I would say look at the consoles,especially the new ones,to see what the efficient settings will be! Either way I will switch off all the RTX stuff - if it can't run OK at medium on a GTX1080/RTX2060/RX5700 at 1440p....or even 1080p something is up with the optimisation of the game. It doesn't look that special,if you look past the RT based features.

Most of that video was filled with just cutscenes. No actually in game play to speak of. Which is why I'm skeptical. The "Replay" scene that appears to be game play didn't have a lot going on graphics wise.
IMHO, when Nvidia got called out (media) a while back for gimping the 1080ti they seem to stop that practice. I'm sure there are many watching Nvidia to see if they will gimp the 2080/ti. And will be called out for it if they do.
Personally, I'm not touching that game on PC with a 10' pole unless it's obviously friendly to AMD and lower spec'd cards. IMO this one is shaping up, to me, to be another Batman blunder.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of that video was filled with just cutscenes. No actually in game play to speak of. Which is why I'm skeptical. The "Replay" scene that appears to be game play didn't have a lot going on graphics wise.
IMHO, when Nvidia got called out (media) a while back for gimping the 1080ti they seem to stop that practice. I'm sure there are many watching Nvidia to see if they will gimp the 2080/ti. And will be called out for it if they do.
Personally, I'm not touching that game on PC with a 10' pole unless it's obviously friendly to AMD and lower spec'd cards. Sort of reminds me of the Batman blunder.

It has to run OK on current generation and next generation consoles. So if a reasonably well specified desktop has problems,then they should spend more time optimising it then. But I expect,Nvidia will want to show how great an upgrade Ampere is,it's what PC gaming has become now,ie,a way to sell new generation GPUs products,whilst not even getting the most out of what is currently on the market.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The resolution used for the demo is low because the game was using full scene rayvtracing - as good as the 2080ti is, it's too taxing - the game Control has the same issues of you enable all the rayvtracing stuff to max - it can't even hold 1440p 60fps.

I really feel sorry for the consoles - Xbox one is probably gonna have to run at 600p all low settings and even the Series X will probably get stuck with 1080p is they give ray tracing to consoles.

Good thing is that the game is future proofed, the developer should not downgrade anything - in fact the above video shows the games graphics are constantly getting upgraded
Yea, I do trust the devs will do the right thing and things will get better with time, even if not optimal on release.

Can't wait for both Ampere and Cyberpunk 2077 :D

Soldato
Sure, it's all a marketing ploy. By the time RT is "optimized" it won't be implemented the same way we see it now. Which is why AMD patented the hybrid approach.

I will be surprised if the 3080 can play CP2077 with all the rt elements enabled:
Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion
Ray-Traced Shadows
Ray-Traced Reflections
Ray-Traced Diffuse Illumination

and maintain 60 FPS (Locked) at 1080p (without DLSS). <---That's a low bar folks.

Yeah, they should've made it with '90 graphics, so it runs 8k@1000fps. Progress!

If you're bother by those advanced settings, why not turn them off? :)

Associate
Huh? I thought it was 1080p running at 4K? That is what digital foundry said. Also Skill Up said this also.

I will be testing out many graphical settings before starting to play Cyberpunk 2077. First try native 4K, then DLSS 2.0 1440p and 1080p upscaled to 4K. Then again the settings above with RT on. Then after that will start turning off depth of field and a bunch of others settings that don’t do it for me one by one and see how that impacts the image quality. Finally lower settings from say Ultra to High and see if I can tell the difference without needing to do a screenshot. I would rather put the grunt into settings that have a noticeable impact in image quality :D
+1 Unfortunately it's not even 1080p but less than so I just hope the new cards have sufficient power to give a decent compromise of fps and image quality because it's CP2077 is shaping up to be super demanding.

Soldato
Yeah, they should've made it with '90 graphics, so it runs 8k@1000fps. Progress!

I take it you're not confident either. If I decide to play this game it will be on console, less hassle.

Better question would be (if it turns out to be true) why isn't ampere playing this game proper. :D

Caporegime
ray traced light and shadows
Tbh, take the car scene. The 2018 version lighting looked OK. The 2020 lighting just looks waaaaay too dark. Unless all the cars there have blackened windows or the whole thing takes place in the dead of night :p

There's just no way the inside of a car is that dark. RT or no RT, I'm not really impressed with so much "grim dark and you can't see ****", no matter how technically excellent it might be.

Not convinced? In the 2018 car scene light is clearly shining in from the rear window.

Then in the 2020 scene, there is no light at all coming from the rear window. Why is that?

So yeah, I don't care about the RT or DLsuperRSS or whatever. On a bright day the inside of a car is never that dark, and the sun doesn't just stop entering a car's rear window when you turn RT on :p

Man of Honour
Not convinced? In the 2018 car scene light is clearly shining in from the rear window.

Then in the 2020 scene, there is no light at all coming from the rear window. Why is that?

Not that it has that level of effect on the inside but I've got privacy glass on the rear windows on my vehicle and looking out the windows are still fairly clear but looking in they are tinted quite a bit.

Soldato
Tbh, take the car scene. The 2018 version lighting looked OK. The 2020 lighting just looks waaaaay too dark. Unless all the cars there have blackened windows or the whole thing takes place in the dead of night :p

There's just no way the inside of a car is that dark. RT or no RT, I'm not really impressed with so much "grim dark and you can't see ****", no matter how technically excellent it might be.

So yeah, I don't care about the RT or DLsuperRSS or whatever. On a bright day the inside of a car is never that dark, and the sun doesn't just stop entering a car's rear window when you turn RT on :p

So I just watched the video again but this time on my iPhone OLED and then my TV OLED and then a 3rd time back in the IPS monitor.

On the ips monitor there is a ton of black crushed darkness like you say. On the OLEDs there is like way way more detail to see and it's much clearer.

so it would appear they've redone the lighting the game at night to give it that game of thrones look - basically the game isn't supposed to look pitch black, it's a very low level of black - and unfortunately non OLED and non FALD screens have a super hard time trying to produce the image correctly often creating an image that looks darker and crushed.

Good guy CD Projekt Red is not just forcing you to buy a new graphics card but forcing you to buy a high end TV too, what a time to be alive!

Permabanned
I pretty much agree with FoxEye and others regarding RT and DLSS. These recent pages and stuff I've read elsewhere have me thinking to disregard RT this gen too (I have a 1070). I was planning on spending up to $600ish, but nah, I'll save some money by going 3060/AMD-equivalent and not worry about RT for another generation at least (after DDR5 etc come out). PS: Hopefully the 3060/AMD-equivalent aren't anywhere near $600! :p

Soldato
I take it you're not confident either. If I decide to play this game it will be on console, less hassle.

Better question would be (if it turns out to be true) why isn't ampere playing this game proper. :D

I guess you're not playing PC games in general and just make assumption about different stuff based on marketing materials. :)

Spoiler alert: There plenty of PC games that are very demanding even if they lack RT. 3 quick examples: try maxing out Deus Ex: Mankind Devided , RDR 2, Watch Dogs 2 in 1080p. You'll have a hard time even with the latest and greatest of GPUs.

Simple: 2018 is during night time (or the lighting of the scene is faulty), 2020 is during day (Sun is up and to the right, judging by the shadow on that wall, so light comes from the front). Also, most likely in 2020 demo, the car is under/inside some sort of passage/bridge. Also, I guess the back window could turn "solid" if they so desire (see the demo with the "solid" windows when he gets inside and after he turns the car on they turn "clear"). It's perfectly valid. :)

PS: Just because RT can simulate how natural light works, it doesn't mean that the way it does in real life/game is desired by the artist composing the scene. Film studios or even a simple photographer could need quite a bit of equipment to light a scene properly for the dramatic effect that he's after. So if they don't add extra light somehow in the scene while using RT, although the light is natural/correct, it possibly could not be as dramatic as intended using the original lighting sources. That's why, I guess, having 2 ways of doing stuff (RT + faking it), can be troublesome in trying to maintain the same overall mood within the same scene.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Spoiler alert: There plenty of PC games that are very demanding even if they lack RT. 3 quick examples: try maxing out Deus Ex: Mankind Devided , RDR 2, Watch Dogs 2 in 1080p. You'll have a hard time even with the latest and greatest of GPUs.
This is true. Deus Ex Mankind Divided can be very hard to run, yet if you optimise the settings you can have the game look damn near as good where you need still shots to see the difference and gain a lot of fps. As I recall the main culprit is Contact Hardening Shadows which is meant to be more realistic shadows, but is it worth the huge fps drop? As I recall it was like 40% or more drop in fps. That is like the difference between a 1070 and 1080Ti. I would rather have the 1070 running cooler and quieter and have that option off :p

I find that in most games going from very high to ultra settings have a huge impact on fps with very little improvement in image quality, there are exceptions, but mostly it is this way. That is why I get away with a xx70 class GPU’s by tweaking settings on new and demanding games :D

Back
Top Bottom