• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA PCI-Express Resizable BAR Performance Test - 22 Games, 3 Resolutions, RTX 3000 series.

Associate
Having just read the article, is it just me or is w1zzard a major Nvidia fan?

The man is just fair.

"It took NVIDIA a few months, but they've now achieved parity with AMD's Radeon Smart Access Memory feature. Instead of inventing a snazzy-sounding l33t pro gamer name, they simply refer to it as "Resizable BAR," which is the technologically correct term. While AMD enabled Resizable BAR across the board, for all titles, NVIDIA chose a more fine-grained approach—Resizable BAR is only activated for specific games after NVIDIA has tested them."

That line killed it to be fair. Fair play for calling it like it is.

Soldato
Even though the NVIDIA article - https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/ - doesn't mention the Z370 chipset, there is a BIOS update on the Gigabyte website for my motherboard to enable it. Worth checking for anyone not on a 10th or 11th gen Intel processor.

So I've done everything I needed to - no Resizable BAR for me, despite flashing the new motherboard BIOS, having the driver installed, and flashing my GPU with the firmware. Oh well. Guessing I fall into the 'unofficial' support for now. Hopefully Gigabyte and NVIDIA work together to make it work officially.

Soldato
OP
So I've done everything I needed to - no Resizable BAR for me, despite flashing the new motherboard BIOS, having the driver installed, and flashing my GPU with the firmware. Oh well. Guessing I fall into the 'unofficial' support for now. Hopefully Gigabyte and NVIDIA work together to make it work officially.

Have you disabled CSM and using UEFI ? but you need to make sure your windows install is in GPT not MBR and if in MBR you need to convert it to GPT with the windows tool or you will not be able to boot windows without CSM if in MBR.

Also make sure all virus protection is off when running the VBIOS tool update as that is known to stop it working right too. So you may think you flashed it and got a reply of all ok but reality is the windows virus protection or other protection deletes the file in the background or stops it running right.

Only things you need to have enabled in the motherboard bios is Rebar and 4G decoding and UEFI and csm disabled.

In windows you need to have the latest nvidia drivers installed too, when flashing the gpu and when enabling it in the motherboard bios.

Associate
The man is just fair.

"It took NVIDIA a few months, but they've now achieved parity with AMD's Radeon Smart Access Memory feature. Instead of inventing a snazzy-sounding l33t pro gamer name, they simply refer to it as "Resizable BAR," which is the technologically correct term. While AMD enabled Resizable BAR across the board, for all titles, NVIDIA chose a more fine-grained approach—Resizable BAR is only activated for specific games after NVIDIA has tested them."

So far. You can enable unsupported games for Resizable Bar in the Windows Registry if you wish. Saw an article on that.

Soldato
Have you disabled CSM and using UEFI ? but you need to make sure your windows install is in GPT not MBR and if in MBR you need to convert it to GPT with the windows tool or you will not be able to boot windows without CSM if in MBR.

Also make sure all virus protection is off when running the VBIOS tool update as that is known to stop it working right too. So you may think you flashed it and got a reply of all ok but reality is the windows virus protection or other protection deletes the file in the background or stops it running right.

Only things you need to have enabled in the motherboard bios is Rebar and 4G decoding and UEFI and csm disabled.

In windows you need to have the latest nvidia drivers installed too, when flashing the gpu and when enabling it in the motherboard bios.

Disable CSM and using UEFI yup. The NVIDIA post did mention 'unofficial' support for other processors, but the 8XXX processors weren't in the original NVIDIA post.
Regarding anti-virus, I will try it again with the Windows one turned off, as I didn't realise that was a problem! I will try again, but given the performance increase isn't exactly huge on most of the games I would play, I'm not too fussed right now.

Regarding this bit, is REBAR an option that shows up in the BIOS? If so, I didn't spot that. Will have to have a look around.
Thanks for the info on those other bits. Will go and double check.

Update: The Windows anti-virus didn't stop it from flashing correctly the first time. I disabled it and ran the updater and it said the card was already flashed.
It was the REBAR option in the BIOS (well UEFI) that had to be set to 'Auto'. I also enabled the 'Above 4G Decoding' whatever that does. I seem to remember that Gigabyte are awful at telling you what new items in the BIOS update even do. Thanks for that! All running now!

Last edited:
Caporegime
The man is just fair.

I don't know, its made a difference in 2 out of 23 games and Nvidia are as bad as Apple for renaming existing tech and claiming it their own, the sentence you have in red reads like a petulant child who didn't get what she wanted and is gas lighting those who did.

The sentence suggests they are comparing Nvidia to AMD but didn't include any results from AMD. I go back to my petulant child theory.

Caporegime
out of the 23 games they tested its made a difference in 2.
I don't know, its made a difference in 2 out of 23 games and Nvidia are as bad as Apple for renaming existing tech and claiming it their own, the sentence you have in red reads like a petulant child who didn't get what she wanted and is gas lighting those who did.

The sentence suggests they are comparing Nvidia to AMD but didn't include any results from AMD. I go back to my petulant child theory.
There's a reason for that. ;)

Soldato
Even though the NVIDIA article - https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/ - doesn't mention the Z370 chipset, there is a BIOS update on the Gigabyte website for my motherboard to enable it. Worth checking for anyone not on a 10th or 11th gen Intel processor.
Here's an article on that, Nvidia weren't lying when they said your mileage may vary on platforms that are not officially supported. There are some big performance regressions :eek:.

https://babeltechreviews.com/z390-resizable-bar-performance/?amp=1

Soldato

Not to mention 'Resizeable Bar' is a boring name, no wonder AMD came up with a more exciting one. It's almost as if Nvidia want to hide the fact that AMD forced their hand on a feature that AMD support more comprehensively.

Caporegime
It worked beautifully on my MSI b450 tomahawk board and 2600 (which wasn't officially supported by either amd or Nvidia) with my 3080, cyberpunk was far smoother in the lows and it seems to be working very nicely with my 5600x and 3080 as well. Can't complain for free performance.

Probably prefer nvidias way of them testing games first too, saves me from having to further faff about with settings to see what works best, let alone bios settings!

Soldato
Permabanned
Wow. Those Borderlands and Godfall performance hits. Ouch.

I will see what it's like in Cyberpunk and Control. At least you can turn it off per game too. Not super quick, but do-able.
tbh, 3070 is not a good card to play godfall, with rbar or without rbar

someone will remember that i reported downgraded performance with RBAR enabled in godfall. at first, i thought it was attributed specifically to RBAR. then i found out that it was using extra vram, so vram related frame drops occured earlier.

but the reality was, with or without rbar, 3070 is unable to perform optimal in this game at 1440p with rt enabled. RBAR only makes the problem occur early.

video without RBAR at 1440p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_3cqNh-Ag

i did specifically test in the benchmark, without RBAR, 3070 can stay in high performance, but with RBAR, it cannot

rbar enabled benchmark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMhmiM1ENWc

i didn't bother with rbar disabled benchmark since it performed good. but reality is, that performance hit does not come from RBAR. it comes from vram being filled. rbar only causes the vram to fill earlier compared to rbar off

so it's safe to say that in vram heavy games, it is better to disable rbar for specific games, since it can even cause the aformentioned frame drop at... 1080p

these are all with ray tracing enabled, which is why nvidia probably delayed their rt implementation for their game

Back
Top Bottom