• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Re-Size Bar/SAM support is live for some cards, more in March - 10% performance gains

Soldato
Wonder if the cost of upgrading my motherboard just to support RBAR is worth it? But then will the 3700x, compatible mobo and RTX 3080 support it with games anytime soon? And would the performance improvement of RBAR be worth the actual outlay of a new motherboard? Seems a tricky decision.

Also have to factor the cost of spending money on an old design as the next CPU I but I don't think it'll be AM4 socket.

Associate
Wonder if the cost of upgrading my motherboard just to support RBAR is worth it? But then will the 3700x, compatible mobo and RTX 3080 support it with games anytime soon? And would the performance improvement of RBAR be worth the actual outlay of a new motherboard? Seems a tricky decision.

Also have to factor the cost of spending money on an old design as the next CPU I but I don't think it'll be AM4 socket.

I'd wait for the results to see whether it's worth it or whether you should just wait for Zen4.

So far it's only been tested on AMD cards, which have slower memory and a smaller interface (compared to the 3080 and 3090) - will be interesting to see whether there is any difference.

Soldato
I'd wait for the results to see whether it's worth it or whether you should just wait for Zen4.

So far it's only been tested on AMD cards, which have slower memory and a smaller interface (compared to the 3080 and 3090) - will be interesting to see whether there is any difference.

Will be interesting how much of a difference the 3090's 24gb VRAM makes. Would be nice to have something use the other half of the VRAM I'm not currently using. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Just heard back from Palit that they will be rolling out the new vbios for their 3000 series lineup within the next few weeks! They've included an easy to use bios updater as well to flash the new bios onto it. I have to admit im a little skeptical about using it, don't have a backup bios incase it gets borked in the unlikely event of something going wrong.

So close now, really hope the 3090 has more to offer with its extra vram!

Associate
So with my setup I would need a Zen 3 CPU, flash my motherboard BIOS, flash my 3070 FE BIOS? I'm not planning to upgrade for a while but its a nice option. Currently I'm thinking I'll just stay with my 3600 until there is a game that needs 8C/16T, then get resize bar, PCIe4, new AMD socket, ITX motherboard with 2 NVMe sockets.

Soldato
So no performance increase for nvidia so far with it enabled, guess amd put in more work than just flipping a switch
It was always the case otherwise we wouldn't have to wait so long for Nvidia to catch up. Only fanboys were trying to argue to the contrary;).

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom