• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Wouldn't get any. By your admission the 3070 copes fine.. so just stick with it and sell on when 40 stuff hits.

Not had a single issue

FYI as you know I game at 4K60 and the only game I am playing now where I have to tone down settings a bit is Flight Simulator 2020. Rest run no issues whatsoever.

:p ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wouldn't get any. By your admission the 3070 copes fine.. so just stick with it and sell on when 40 stuff hits.

:p ;)
As I explained. Resale would be easier… ;)

Also may turn out to be a free upgrade if I make a profit on the sale of my 3070, just depends who I sell it to, if a family member naturally won’t make a profit.

Caporegime
Hahahaha :D

But Far Cry 6 says otherwise and that being the triple a game that it turned out to be I better rush and go 16GB as I am busting to play it ;)

According to ubi, they can't make their minds up, they say 16gb then they said 12gb and now on install they say 11gb??? :D

dKlBkGW.png

Soldato
According to ubi, they can't make their minds up, they say 16gb then they said 12gb and now on install they say 11gb??? :D

dKlBkGW.png
Erm... you do realise that is a greater than sign which you appear to be confusing with the greater than or equal to sign. The requirement is still 12gb

Caporegime
Erm... you do realise that is a greater than sign which you appear to be confusing with the greater than or equal to sign. The requirement is still 12gb

The correct way/format to do it is then

=>12GB

Given that their in game vram usage is completely inaccurate too, just goes to show they can't decide what it should be........ :D

ps. I know the in game vram indicator is a "bug"

Soldato

dKlBkGW.png

Maybe all them refunds started to hurt ... They really made a mess of it and embarrassed themselves with this HD texture pack that should have just been part of the game and made to work with cards from 8GB and up depending on the resolution being used, but they had to nerf every card without 16GB VRAM and then playing ohh 12GB will work now >11GB... meeh lost all respect for them, hope they make a loss on this in the end but I doubt it as AMD covered most of the costs with the sponsership and giving the game away with cpu and gpu sales.

Caporegime
Maybe all them refunds started to hurt ... They really made a mess of it and embarrassed themselves with this HD texture pack that should have just been part of the game and made to work with cards from 8GB and up depending on the resolution being used, but they had to nerf every card without 16GB VRAM and then playing ohh 12GB will work now >11GB... meeh lost all respect for them, hope they make a loss on this in the end but I doubt it as AMD covered most of the costs with the sponsership and giving the game away with cpu and gpu sales.
Oh man, I can't believe any rational person actually thinks like this. Man, I'm sorry but you really have no idea. Honestly.

Last edited:
Soldato
The correct way/format to do it is then

=>12GB

Given that their in game vram usage is completely inaccurate too, just goes to show they can't decide what it should be........ :D

ps. I know the in game vram indicator is a "bug"
=>12GB is identical to >11GB, since we are discussing integers.

You just read it wrong in your haste to post this screenshot everywhere.

Soldato
Oh man, I can't believe any rationale person actually thinks like this. Man, I'm sorry but you really have no idea. Honestly.

Hasn't it been proven the consoles can play this with the HD texture pack ? If the consoles can manage it so can a pc with a 8GB VRAM gpu at a resolution lower than 4K of course, but >11GB vram limit is for what resolution ? Also they posted on their own Blog that the HD texture pack needs cards with 16GB VRAM and up.. So which is it ?

Also when they say >11GB VRAM at what resolution and when they also state 16GB VRAM at what resolution ?

Or is the console version streaming via directstorage to bypass the memory requirements, remember the consoles have 16GB unified memory, so some used by gpu and some used by the cpu (in the apu)? Then if that is the case why didn't they enable that on pc, as we do have it on windows 10 and 11 directstorage.

See now coming back to the average gaming pc with 8GB VRAM gpu, they also normally have 16GB RAM in the system too and now a M.2 ssd too. So don't see why it was so hard to make a pc be better than a console or have consoles now become better than an average mid highend pc ?

Soldato
If you asked me to evaluate if X was 12 or greater. I would do X>11

Why would you write it any other way? And for a layman ubi have simply said more that 11 GB. Seems perfectly fine.

Anyway ...

Caporegime
Hasn't it been proven the consoles can play this with the HD texture pack ? If the consoles can manage it so can a pc with a 8GB VRAM gpu at a resolution lower than 4K of course, but >11GB vram limit is for what resolution ? Also they posted on their own Blog that the HD texture pack needs cards with 16GB VRAM and up.. So which is it ?

Also when they say >11GB VRAM at what resolution and when they also state 16GB VRAM at what resolution ?

Or is the console version streaming via directstorage to bypass the memory requirements, remember the consoles have 16GB unified memory, so some used by gpu and some used by the cpu (in the apu)? Then if that is the case why didn't they enable that on pc, as we do have it on windows 10 and 11 directstorage.

See now coming back to the average gaming pc with 8GB VRAM gpu, they also normally have 16GB RAM in the system too and now a M.2 ssd too. So don't see why it was so hard to make a pc be better than a console or have consoles now become better than an average mid highend pc ?
Consoles not running 4K. Consoles not running RT. Consoles not even using Ultra preset. Need I go on?

Requirement is 12GB or higher. As chuk pointed out, that's what the installer indicates, even if it is a bit arse about face.

Caporegime
Actually, consoles or rather xbox is also having issues with texture pop in/not rendering too (DF noted that it is there on ps5 and pc/3090 too, more noticeable when driving fast and new areas of the map are loading in)

Uhf8rb8.jpg

Issue is even there on gpus with ≥16GB vram too, it's just less prevalent and not much of an issue for sessions of<2 hours apparently.

Either way, this talk of FC 6 and it's "confirmed" texture/vram issue has been done to death in the other thread..... Lets not have it start all over again in here, we got a new game to argue about :cry: :D

=>12GB is identical to >11GB, since we are discussing integers.

You just read it wrong in your haste to post this screenshot everywhere.

TBF, not wrong ;) :D :p

"Technically" if we want to say a value is = AND > than then this is the correct way to do it ≥

Caporegime
These last couple of posts are getting me down.

Time to retire for the evening with some disaronno and reminisce about the good old days when I had GPUs with larger frame buffers than was typical in that day and age, ala 7970 3GB and the 290X 8GB.

Back
Top Bottom