• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Soldato
It seems it's hard for some to understand that the vram on the 3080 is a tactical move by Nvidia to force some 1440p and all 4k enthusiastic gamers to buy the next card up.

It's not enough ram and never has been.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It seems it's hard for some to understand that the vram on the 3080 is a tactical move by Nvidia to force some 1440p and all 4k enthusiastic gamers to buy the next card up.

Just as much as it is hard for some to understand had they put 20gb on it instead they would have to charge a hell of a lot more and cannibalise sale from their 3090 :)

Soldato
I used to have a bunch of vram spare on my 8gb R9 390, bet I was using less than half of it on those older games. Still 3080 doing its thang, so no worries :)

Associate

Who needs more than 10GB for 1440p? That’s the target market for the card.

Soldato
Was thinking about 4k. I feel my desk doesn't have the depth. I'd have to get a max of 28" I think before Im moving my head.

10gb does seem a bit stingy but I love my 1440p gsync monitor. Cost a fortune and I want another few years out of it before I relegate it and get a newer main monitor.

I doubt I'll need to turn any settings down in any games I play. And if I do , it'll be just one or two.

People don't seem to understand need Vs want Vs haven't a ******* clue and will talk rubbish.

Soldato
Who needs more than 10GB for 1440p? That’s the target market for the card.
Modern games maxed out get right up there and you also want your card to last you at least 3-5 years in my opinion. What will you do in a few years time. GPUs are not a yearly upgrade, especially at this price!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
FArcry 5 released a 4k HD texture pack. No one ran out of VRAM on that and FC6 looks no better than FC5 aside RT.

End of.

laughing-rofl.gif

Soldato
Modern games maxed out get right up there and you also want your card to last you at least 3-5 years in my opinion. What will you do in a few years time. GPUs are not a yearly upgrade, especially at this price!

1440p and 4k vram usage is not that much apart.. even 1080p is not that behind. they're pretty close. if a gpu's vram starts coughing at 4k, its only at the edge start coughing at 1440p

Nahhhh. You talk without knowledge folks.

Permabanned
A 3080 is plenty enough to run games at 4K 120fps, I can confirm that. A 3080 is probably the number 1 sort after GPU on the market right now.

Permabanned
There is always a compromise thought isnt there, to keep vram usage down. There should be no compromise.
no there can be. but this compromise end up being ray tracing itself.

its clear that 10 gb is maxed out with current gen graphics+ray tracing even at 1440p and 4k. how else will game's normal graphics will go forward with similar budget? its quite impossible

Soldato
I'm super stoked with my £650 3080FE. Held out for the only card that made sense. It's already printed me £70 lol

Ill come back in 3 years and confirm if the 10gb was an issue and how much.

Associate

At the price of a 3090 vs a 3080, I can comfortably upgrade to card that outperforms the 3090 (when the next gen release), and still have money left over (assuming prices normalise). Maxxed out every game so far without any VRAM issues.

1440p and 4k vram usage is not that much apart.. even 1080p is not that behind. they're pretty close. if a gpu's vram starts coughing at 4k, its only at the edge start coughing at 1440p

Depends on the game, but with everything turned up, 4K has a meaningful impact in resource usage. The 3080 and 6800xt both require compromises at 4K if you want consistent fps, but they’ll be fine at 1440p for a few years.

Permabanned
I'm super stoked with my £650 3080FE. Held out for the only card that made sense. It's already printed me £70 lol

Ill come back in 3 years and confirm if the 10gb was an issue and how much.

Stick to gaming. 3080 10GB is a cracking card and plays 99.9% of games at 4K with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom