• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Caporegime

HRL

HRL

Soldato
And there was me thinking Nvidia knew what they were doing. Now I’m not so sure!

Would be a bit annoyed if I had a 3080 and they revised the card, added more VRAM and released it as a replacement SKU.

Soldato
And there was me thinking Nvidia knew what they were doing. Now I’m not so sure!

Would be a bit annoyed if I had a 3080 and they revised the card, added more VRAM and released it as a replacement SKU.

Its called a Super they have done it before. Its not like its a surprise.

he card was added to the launch scheduled for January 2022 alongside GeForce RTX 3090 Ti and RTX 3070 Ti 16GB SKUs. NVIDIA is also bringing RTX 2060 with 12GB memory, which will use RTX 2060 SUPER PCB design according to our sources.

Is that a typo ?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Is it? Understand if it’s branded a Super instead but I read it as they are just replacing the SKU with the upgraded VRAM.

Associate
12GB isn't enough either for 4K, so If I was buying one I'd rather save the pennies and get the 10GB version instead and lower a setting or two if needed.

Just my opinion.

10 or 12 GB, you'd almost certainly need to turn down the same setting whichever card you go for, so unless they discontinue the 3080 completely (It's arguable they basically have already) and raise the price, I don't get the point. Think I've spotted the point, now I've written it down...

Permabanned
Nvidia has done it before, gtx1060 for example

yup
2 gigs 960 (4 gigs 1050ti managed to make use of full flat 4 gb. so could the 960)
3.5 gigs 970
2 gb 770 + 3 gb 780
3 gb alternate 1060
4 gb 3050
8 gb 3070
10 gb 3080

list goes on

their tricks never end :)

no proper dx12/vulkan support, both hardware and software wise for kepler fermi
semi dx12 capable maxwell cards
gimped async support for pascal cardcs. fake async cards... that had no benefits from actual async applications in games
gimped fp16 for pascal so that their workload cards can get away
no sampler feedback streaming hardware unit on ampere/turing cards (they're practically not capable of same things as ps5/xbox)

important distinction. sampler feedback and sampler feedback streaming are completely seperate things. sampler feedback streaming IS the actual technology that saves the memory. sampler feedback is just one part of it. there needs to be dedicated hardware , ps5 sx have it now. rdna2 is also gimped in this aspect. i dont know how crucial, beneficial or integral this tech will be for future console games, but we shall about that.

and of course, gimped sampler feedback itself in ampere and turing cards, only feature level 0.9 and all other nextgen counterparts rdna2 ps5 xbox sx have 1.0 sampler feedback.

im pretty sure trhere are more hidden gimps behind the scenes that are yet to be revealed.

Associate
12GB isn't enough either for 4K, so If I was buying one I'd rather save the pennies and get the 10GB version instead and lower a setting or two if needed.

Just my opinion.

10GB/12GB is absolutely fine for 4K unless you are including Far Cry 6 , are there any other games ? I am playing on a 3090 and over the last year with all the games i have played at 4K ultra settings i have never seen actual Vram used go over 10GB , most will allocate around 10GB but only use 8 to 9 GB while playing. Going forward it may cause some issues but as of now there are very very few games that actually require over 10GB at 4K settings from my own experience.

Associate

If you had gotten a 3080FE for 650 no reason to get annoyed at all since it's not like for that price range there would be any alternatives and is still a bloody good card.

Associate
That 2GB isn’t anywhere near material enough to be honest. I doubt 3080 owners are annoyed. It’s more likely that 3080 Ti and 3090 owners would be irritated by the 3090 Ti

Back
Top Bottom