• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Associate
Not sure what the point would be unless it’s to align production with the other 12/24 configs.

For 4K you’re better off with a 6900xt, 3080ti or 3090.

Soldato
Yes, just two games I know of so far in Godfall and Far Cry 6 that can use up to and beyond 12GB when properly tested.

Do you think video memory usage requirements will go up or down? Will there by more games going forward with 4K Texture packs or less? We shall see.

That's my use case and opinion. Others will have a different use case/opinion (which is fine) and don't mind compromising on settings to bring down usage requirements.

From looking at the Far Cry 6 thread though, it appears quite a few people would like to use the 4K Textures and are not able to as they don't meet the minimum requirements, so if that is the case then 10/12GB is not enough. If you don't play Far Cry 6, then it is enough for now. It really comes down to individual preferences.

But as I said in my original post, if you don't mind turning down a setting or two in any games that come with higher video memory requirements then yes 10-12GB is fine.

That will very likely be on a card with more than 10GB though? So it will use more. I've yet to see a card run out of vram from experience (unless were talking about the botched 970).

Have seen some gameplay of the 3080 playing FC6 at 4k maxed settings just fine. 8k perhaps? Surely then were talking slideshow levels of performance even for a Ti/3090.

I used to play 4k 60 back in the day with SLI 4GB 980's using something stupid like 4076mb/4096mb. Never gave me an issue though and ran a solid 60fps.

More is better obviously. 10GB should be more than enough targeting 4k/60hz though.

Soldato
I bought a 3080 knowing that 10gb is/will be on the low side but at RRP in the current climate it feels like decent (not great) value for money puirchase. I'd be very surprised if a 3080 12gb in near to £650, Nvidia release super's or Ti when I'm assuming their contracts change with the foundary's. TSMC/Samsung have said they are rising prices so these will of course be passed onto us plus the extra 2gb on VRAM.

Soldato
I'd be very surprised if a 3080 12gb in near to £650
That has less to do with the extra 2GB module on the BOM cost and more to do with Nvidia regretting they ever released the 3080 for £650.

Jensen can rest easy knowing they didn't make the mistake of launching the card with 12GB in the first place (assuming rumours are true).

Soldato
Lol, I knew you would quote that video.

You're a long way from home yuppie boy, I'll start a tab. (extra points if you know where that quote came from)

Have a look at this post and you will begin to realise the error of your ways.

Im guessing said 3080 doesnt have enough to support the texture pack? Either way shoddy design work by ubisoft as usual lol looking at the state of those dashboard textures and 30fps cutscenes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Im guessing said 3080 doesnt have enough to support the texture pack? Either way ***** design work by ubisoft as usual lol looking at the state of those dashboard textures.

P.S-Never trusted DF anyway, they always post biased crap.
Tyler, I've got to be honest with you. Your original post scares me beyond belief and I saw it before your edit.

Perhaps even more worryingly, your edit is not that much better although it does move the goal post a bit.

I will pray for you tonight regardless.

lqNz5nv.jpg

ZwGXGa2.jpg

Those are captures from compressed video, both at 4K.

Soldato
Pretty annoyed for 3080 customers running games maxed out at 4k except having to lower textures in Far Cry 6 to medium.

This was my concern before during and after the launch and why I was almost relieved I couldn't secure one as the 3090 was much easier to obtain at launch RRP and also seems to have been cost effective given I've gone above 10gb many times and use the card at least daily. I bought a random brand that was available and was also lucky it was not an evga or a gigabyte as there seems to be so many duds to dodge in the GPU industry now.

Caporegime
Can we also please drop the godfall argument too :cry:

Sadly it can't be said for 100% certainty as no side by side videos with ray tracing turned on (at least not that I can see). Only one bar/graph chart by wccftech and even then it's not exactly a great deal of a difference going by that and certainly not a case of the "3080 having its trousers pulled down" and if it is, well then so does the 6800xt except no lube is used for it :D :p

64JABaz.png

3080:

Would hardly say 3080 was struggling here :p

Oh wait, sorry, according to some "not the correct settings" :cry:

Caporegime
Tyler, I've got to be honest with you. Your original post scares me beyond belief and I saw it before your edit.

Perhaps even more worryingly, your edit is not that much better although it does move the goal post a bit.

I will pray for you tonight regardless.

lqNz5nv.jpg

ZwGXGa2.jpg

Those are captures from compressed video, both at 4K.

The compression looks a lot worse in the NVidia though so not sure it's a fair comparison, if you can find a similar situation in the same video that will take the video compression factor out of it and would be a lot more scientific.

Back
Top Bottom