• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes, just two games I know of so far in Godfall and Far Cry 6 that can use up to and beyond 12GB when properly tested.

Do you think video memory usage requirements will go up or down? Will there by more games going forward with 4K Texture packs or less? We shall see.

That's my use case and opinion. Others will have a different use case/opinion (which is fine) and don't mind compromising on settings to bring down usage requirements.

From looking at the Far Cry 6 thread though, it appears quite a few people would like to use the 4K Textures and are not able to as they don't meet the minimum requirements, so if that is the case then 10/12GB is not enough. If you don't play Far Cry 6, then it is enough for now. It really comes down to individual preferences.

But as I said in my original post, if you don't mind turning down a setting or two in any games that come with higher video memory requirements then yes 10-12GB is fine.
image.png

Associate
I said a lot of bad things about Nvidia in the past, i still think they are an evil company but i really don't understand what is the problem with the 10Gb. Yes there are some games that are already using more than 10Gb at 4k max settings and probably there will be a lot more games in the future.
But as it is, the 3080 is a well balanced card price/performance. If we compare it with the 6800xt, then you will need to turn down the settings on the Radeon card a lot more often than you will have to turn them down on the 3080.
If the new card is >10% more expensive then the 3080FE is still the best balanced price/performance card that one could buy in this generation, assuming he can find one at MSRP.

Associate
10GB on what nvidia called their "flagship" card was a joke anyway considering the previous 2080 Ti had 11GB as well as the 1080 Ti. So after 4 yrs since the 1080 Ti came out they managed to go backwards, great job Nvidia :cry:

12GB should have been the absolute minimum that the 3080 should have come with, 16GB for the 3080 Ti and 24GB for the 3090.

Associate
was expected. The VRAM amount being so limited was probably to help keep prices low with a looming threat of AMD round the corner.

Although i am disappointed in the 3070TI that should have been a 10GB card.

Associate
People will upgrade from the 3080 to whatever this card is and think nvidia has done them a favour by releasing it...

Nvidia can do no wrong.

Soldato
The extra capacity won't make for better marketing benchmarks, so I suspect the 3080 is getting increased *bandwidth* from this upgrade.

I don't think it will make a huge difference in benchmarks, but I'm sure Nvidia will find some games that perform a little better with improved bandwidth and put the results into their marketing.

Associate
3090 Ti doesn't bother me, not sure why it would others.

Same, a Ti version my my 3090 wouldn't bother me whatsoever, has the same VRAM capacity and the increase of a fully unlocked core over the 3090 is absolutely sod all. What would you gain in FPS?, probably 5fps extra at best I'd guess.

Caporegime
People will upgrade from the 3080 to whatever this card is and think nvidia has done them a favour by releasing it...

Nvidia can do no wrong.
I certainly won’t be. As a 1440p Ultrawide gamer I’ve never felt like 10GB VRAM was holding me back at all. I used to track VRAM usage in Afterburner but after a few weeks it was clear I wasn’t hitting anywhere close to 10GB in the games I play. I do have Control to pick back up so I may add VRAM usage back in just to see how much it uses.

Soldato
Tyler, I've got to be honest with you. Your original post scares me beyond belief and I saw it before your edit.

Perhaps even more worryingly, your edit is not that much better although it does move the goal post a bit.

I will pray for you tonight regardless.

lqNz5nv.jpg

ZwGXGa2.jpg

Those are captures from compressed video, both at 4K.

I can see what you mean definitely having read more into it. Shame on the 3080 aspect of it. Kind of happy I still have my trusty 2080Ti although it likely wouldn’t like running it at 4k.

Although giving you PS2 textures screams poor game design to me. And IMO Ubisoft haven’t made anything well designed/optimised in the last 10 year. Everything they bring out has the vegetation draw distance of a blind man and that puts me off on pretty much every ubi title I have played.

Caporegime
I can see what you mean definitely having read more into it. Shame on the 3080 aspect of it. Kind of happy I still have my trusty 2080Ti although it likely wouldn’t like running it at 4k.

Although giving you PS2 textures screams poor game design to me. And IMO Ubisoft haven’t made anything well designed/optimised in the last 10 year. Everything they bring out has the vegetation draw distance of a blind man and that puts me off on pretty much every ubi title I have played.
Good man, faith in humanity restored. :)

Associate
I certainly won’t be. As a 1440p Ultrawide gamer I’ve never felt like 10GB VRAM was holding me back at all. I used to track VRAM usage in Afterburner but after a few weeks it was clear I wasn’t hitting anywhere close to 10GB in the games I play. I do have Control to pick back up so I may add VRAM usage back in just to see how much it uses.
Since getting a 6700xt I have noticed my vram going above 10gb. I also play at ultrawide 3440x1440.

Caporegime
Since getting a 6700xt I have noticed my vram going above 10gb. I also play at ultrawide 3440x1440.

If the vram is there, it will be used but 99.9% of the time, it will not make any difference to the performance of a game or hinder it as we have seen with the likes of HZD, godfall, re village etc.

A 6700xt will lack the grunt required for 3440x1440 compared to the 3080 before vram becomes a problem for the "majority" of games imo.

Associate

Nvidia can do no wrong.

Who would change their card for an extra 2GB of VRAM and 0 performance uplift? The change is likely related to production and less so performance - AMD did a better job with this by sticking to consistent bus widths.

This is very true, and the gameplay and story are just as bad. You can easily find 10 older games that play better, look better, and consume fewer resources.

Soldato
Who would change their card for an extra 2GB of VRAM and 0 performance uplift? The change is likely related to production and less so performance - AMD did a better job with this by sticking to consistent bus widths.

This is very true, and the gameplay and story are just as bad. You can easily find 10 older games that play better, look better, and consume fewer resources.

It's not zero performance uplift though. (At least not if igets the 3080Ti/3090 bandwidth)

Soldato

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there is no way you can claim the bolded part is remotely accurate. If you are getting PS2 style textures it is not the game but your hardware that needs checked.

Caporegime
Seems some people still are refusing to hear/see that there are a lot of people getting very poor textures in FC 6 even when NOT using the HD texture pack AND not running at 4k regardless of settings.....

Associate
I can assure you, people who got ~£650 3080s and are currently enjoying 4K are indeed very much not unhappy right now :D Nvidia can release all the £1200+ cards with more VRAM they want.

I swear profits in the PC gaming sphere blows up because of open-world Ubisoft games alone.

Personally I think ~1600p driver sharpening-upscaled to 4K at around 100fps is superior to native 4K60 anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom