• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Associate
There's plenty of users who still post they cant get one, and plenty have been shown the alerts. I would say most of that is true except the numbers of 3080's seem to be hardest to attain as they either dont ship enough or too many want them so they last seconds.

Regarding the 4k stuff, I dont see why people must turn on RT. Yes its a new feature but the 6800XT and 3080 will play awesome without RT... its only those who insist it must be on that gimp their own fps (unless you can run DLSS).

The 6800XT and 3080 are only just good enough for 4K with everything on, so people should expect to compromise where it makes sense/affects gameplay.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If using that kind of argument, we could also say the same for "ultra" settings preset, why use this if we can all just set "high" and have little to no difference in visuals but also often get double the perf. back?

After a few high popular tuber channels have covered now, ultra is not needed. When your playing at high res the detail is better anyway, most devs seem to have placed the buttons to do something yet in reality they never got round to making it scale proper. Some games difference between Ultra and High is almost nothing except you gain 20% in fps.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The 6800XT and 3080 are only just good enough for 4K with everything on, so people should expect to compromise where it makes sense/affects gameplay.

Agree. What my point being is if Nexus has to have RT on and his fps suffers (lower than 60 for example) then toggling it off means the card can breath and your visual isnt going to be unplayable, especially if its not a rpg/single player type game. There will be many games the 6800XT/3080 will handle fine - settings are there for a reason just turn off RT (for example). Suddenly at a toggle of a button, the card plays 4k just fine...

Associate
Agree. What my point being is if Nexus has to have RT on and his fps suffers (lower than 60 for example) then toggling it off means the card can breath and your visual isnt going to be unplayable, especially if its not a rpg/single player type game. There will be many games the 6800XT/3080 will handle fine - settings are there for a reason just turn off RT (for example). Suddenly at a toggle of a button, the card plays 4k just fine...

Agreed; there are a ton of variables. DLSS is a great help, and depending on the game, moving from ultra to high can see a negligible visual difference but a decent performance uplift.

Caporegime

Personally for me, it depends largely on the game and also which display I'm on but general rule of thumb for my use case is:

- playing on my 4k60 oled - has to be a locked 60
- playing on my 3440x1440/144hz ips - has to be at the very least 80 fps (I can handle dips to 60s if the graphical settings are worth it such as metro and cyberpunk)
- I'll always use DLSS simply because it offers better IQ than "native + TAA"
- I'll sacrifice other settings in order to be able to use RT (only if it makes a difference, if it is gimped then I can turn it off but even when gimped, it can still improve IQ and get rid of SSR artefacts such as reflections disappearing just because the camera angle slightly moved)

Soldato
Only if it’s better than a 33% performance increase, otherwise nope, no need.
I'd imagine it will be atleast 50% if they move to TSMC 5nm as that alone is a huge jump in perf per watt over Samsung 8nm which will also allow for higher clocks and then the architectural improvements on top.

Soldato
Not worried. 3080 is fine for 4k, could do with more grunt sure but that will come with the next series. Won't have a problem selling next year either as those running 1440p will probably snap it up as vram won't even be an issue.

Soldato
OP
I'd imagine it will be atleast 50% if they move to TSMC 5nm as that alone is a huge jump in perf per watt over Samsung 8nm which will also allow for higher clocks and then the architectural improvements on top.

samsung 8nm to tsmc 7nm is already a 40% improvement in density, tsmc 7nm to tsmc 5nm is another 60% increase.

Samsung 8nm to TSMC 5nm for Nvidia would be a massive upgrade in process technology. If Nvidia wants to, they will be able to build RTX4000 GPUs that have 100% more cores than RTX3000 - Apple has now proved that 5nm is now ready for massive dies so chip size is not an issue as 5nm is fully matured

Soldato
samsung 8nm to tsmc 7nm is already a 40% improvement in density, tsmc 7nm to tsmc 5nm is another 60% increase.

Samsung 8nm to TSMC 5nm for Nvidia would be a massive upgrade in process technology. If Nvidia wants to, they will be able to build RTX4000 GPUs that have 100% more cores than RTX3000 - Apple has now proved that 5nm is now ready for massive dies so chip size is not an issue as 5nm is fully matured
Yeap it's not inconceivable that this time next year a 16gb 4060ti @£450-500 will be easily outperforming the current 3090s.

Permabanned
To the contrary, it's the best of the series, they've polished up the experience to perfection and has the best gameplay yet. For people who love Far Cry games it's great, for those who never did then no - it's more of the same formula.

That sounds awesome:), so you recommend Far Cry 6 as the best Far Cry game? As I will purchase it ASAP.

Permabanned
@Nexus18

Feels worth it to me as a 3090FE owner. After all, I’ve had it for almost a year already and the new cards are probably still a year away.

New cards might be very pricey!

Nvidia's flagship crypto mining GPU (CMP170HX) is going for double the price of RTX 3090.

So I reckon NV might make LHR next gen cards and price the new gen cards at double the cost of the 3 series cards.

3070 Next gen £700
3080 Next gen £1300
3090 Next Gen £2800

Just my guess :( but then, there might be shortages and scalpers might buy them all up so prices again might double further.

HRL

HRL

Soldato

Nvidia's flagship crypto mining GPU (CMP170HX) is going for double the price of RTX 3090.

So I reckon NV might make LHR next gen cards and price the new gen cards at double the cost of the 3 series cards.

3070 Next gen £700
3080 Next gen £1300
3090 Next Gen £2800

Just my guess :( but then, there might be shortages and scalpers might buy them all up so prices again might double further.

Twice the performance, twice the price.

I do hope not!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

3070 Next gen £700
3080 Next gen £1300
3090 Next Gen £2800

People were saying crap like that a few years ago about ampere. Instead we got a 2080Ti performance for one third the price :cry::D

Associate
Will these really warrant the Super title if it's just a memory capacity/bandwidth increase? Or will they have higher clocks? Makes no sense for 3080 owners but for the many still waiting to snag one then depending upon price they will be tempting. And they'll sell by the carload anyway, as does any card at present.

Soldato
Will these really warrant the Super title if it's just a memory capacity/bandwidth increase? Or will they have higher clocks? Makes no sense for 3080 owners but for the many still waiting to snag one then depending upon price they will be tempting. And they'll sell by the carload anyway, as does any card at present.
It's probably just so they can discontinue some of the current cards and replace with higher cost new ones rather than add much in the way of performance.

Back
Top Bottom