• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA RTX 30 Founders Edition get a 6% price increase

Soldato
It was just a matter of time really.. AMD will do same too and Intel.. Samsung is already charging more for their silicon too.

On other news related to this:-

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ase-causes-ripple-effect-for-amd-intel-nvidia

TSMC Price Increase Causes Ripple Effect for AMD, Intel, Nvidia
By Josh Norem on January 19, 2022 at 7:00 am

In what is becoming a predictable and somber trend, a new report in Digitimes indicates that prices for almost every type of processor are set to increase in 2022. The culprit is chip-maker TSMC raising wafer prices on its biggest customers. The report lays out the cascading effect this development will have across the industry, as the demand by TSMC for more money for its current and next-gen nodes will then likely result in those companies passing along that additional cost to the consumer. Translation: if you were interested in buying a brand new RTX 4080 GPU or AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU later this year, get in touch with your local loan shark now.

According to the report, TSMC has already raised wafer prices between 10 and 20 percent due to the ongoing chip shortage and supply chain imbroglio, and since AMD, Nvidia, and even Intel rely on the Taiwanese company for its current and advanced node technology, they have to pay the piper. One notable omission from the Digitizes article is Apple, which also uses TSMC for all of its custom silicon, which would also include its upcoming M2 chip, and whatever beastly chip it has planned for the Mac Pro.

As an example, it’s previously been reported that although Nvidia used Samsung’s 8nm process for its current crop of Ampere GPUs, it will be switching to TSMC’s 5nm node for its next-gen graphics cards, code-named Ada Lovelace. Nvidia has already made upfront payments to TSMC to secure enough wafer supply for the entirety of its upcoming RTX 40-series GPUs, which should be arriving later this year, according to Tom’s Hardware.

AMD still relies on TSMC for both its older Zen 2 chips and its current Zen 3 CPUs, which are both made on the company’s 7nm node. Plus, it’s also on the hook for TSMC’s 5nm wafers for its next-generation Zen 4 chips, which are scheduled to arrive later this year. As if that wasn’t enough, TSMC is also responsible for supplying the 7nm chips that power its current RDNA2 6000-series GPUs but it’s unclear if the company will continue to use that process on future chips, or if like Nvidia it will switch to a more advanced node for future products.

For its part, Intel is the least reliant on TSMC among the big chip companies since it has its own fabrication facilities, but its cutting edge technology lags behind TSMC by roughly a generation, so it is still relying on the company for silicon made on more advanced nodes than it can currently offer. As we reported previously, the company was recently in the news because it sent representatives to TSMC to discuss 3nm wafer procurement. Intel needs that process for the GPU portion of its upcoming Meteor Lake CPUs. The trip by Intel executives made news because Apple is reportedly going to be buying a whole lot of 3nm for its future M1-based silicon products, which will power every single Apple device there is (eventually). It’s a lot of sand.

Intel’s 7nm Meteor Lake CPUs feature a chiplet design and are due in 2023. (Image: Cnet)

All of this news points directly in one direction, which is that the situation for DIY PC builders will not be getting better any time soon. Though various industry stalwarts have said the situation might begin to improve in the latter half of 2022, Intel has also previously said the chip shortage will last into 2023, at least. Plus, there’s also no indication that crypto mining will ever go away, at any point, or that the bots and scalpers that have been sucking up all the limited supply of parts will ever decide to stand down, especially when things just keep getting more expensive.

Associate
It was just a matter of time really.. AMD will do same too and Intel.. Samsung is already charging more for their silicon too.

On other news related to this:-

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ase-causes-ripple-effect-for-amd-intel-nvidia

TSMC Price Increase Causes Ripple Effect for AMD, Intel, Nvidia
By Josh Norem on January 19, 2022 at 7:00 am
Strange that all those reports I've seen so far don't mention anything about where all those millions of console chips are made. Consoles are also super price sensitive. They (both Sony and MS) already got a far better deal than anyone else, so would be intersting to see how (or if) they get the increase costs as well?

Soldato
Strange that all those reports I've seen so far don't mention anything about where all those millions of console chips are made. Consoles are also super price sensitive. They (both Sony and MS) already got a far better deal than anyone else, so would be intersting to see how (or if) they get the increase costs as well?

Console APUs are made at TSMC they are an AMD product for Sony and MS.

Associate
Console APUs are made at TSMC they are an AMD product for Sony and MS.
Sorry, I know so should have phrased that differently:
"Strange that all those reports I've seen so far don't mention anything about increases on all those millions of console chips which are also made by TSMC."
Point being, how are Sony & MS going to handle increases? Or did they get such a good deal that AMD get paid per chip regardless of the cost to manufacture? (There was some speculation that Sony got such a one-sided deal and that they didn't pay extra for PS5 having poor yields even if that was probably mostly due to Sony pushing the clocks late in the PS5's design - and that the strange AMD 4700S APU was AMD's attempt to do something with chips which couldn't the PS5's clocks.)

Soldato
Mining profitability has crashed 40% in the last month. I've seen more availability of 6800xt on the auction site. I think the miners are getting rid of their investments starting now.

Soldato
Sorry, I know so should have phrased that differently:
"Strange that all those reports I've seen so far don't mention anything about increases on all those millions of console chips which are also made by TSMC."
Point being, how are Sony & MS going to handle increases? Or did they get such a good deal that AMD get paid per chip regardless of the cost to manufacture? (There was some speculation that Sony got such a one-sided deal and that they didn't pay extra for PS5 having poor yields even if that was probably mostly due to Sony pushing the clocks late in the PS5's design - and that the strange AMD 4700S APU was AMD's attempt to do something with chips which couldn't the PS5's clocks.)

Consoles aren’t sold for profit anyway, so I don’t know if they would look to increase the price

If they do, it’ll be marginal, and due to the relative volume they sell, I would have thought any increase would be subsidised by economies of scale.

Associate
Mining profitability has crashed 40% in the last month. I've seen more availability of 6800xt on the auction site. I think the miners are getting rid of their investments starting now.
Was the 6800 XT one of the more popular mining card though?

Guess miners bought with an eye to resell (and what they could get their hands on), but the mining calculators had the 6800, 6800XT 6900XT at the exact same ETH hashrate. I would be expecting a flow (trickle for now) of 3080 and 3060Ti's.

Back
Top Bottom