• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA to Unveil GeForce GTX TITAN P at Gamescom

Caporegime
All the people saying it will not feature HBM2 memory lol. Because GDDR5X is enough lol. I said this before, they demonstrated Pascal with HBM memory so it was obviously planned to have HBM on Pascal and makes sense to have it on the flagship cards which are targeted at higher res. But no i got shot down.

Anyway looks like it will be a BEAST! :D

If it came with anything other than HBM2, it would be a fail in my opinion. Fair play that the 1080 has GDDR5, although I would have rather had 512 bit personally of old fashioned GDDR5.

Associate
Based on common sense, once you start to ask over £1000 for a card your sales expectations might be exceeded but the actual sales will still go down. It's not sustainable.

I'm not saying there isn't a breaking point. I'm saying your wrong to say we're already there.

bru

bru

Soldato
The original VR world article is much better than the Tech powerup one.

While Nvidia will pull out all the guns to fight the AMD Radeon RX 480, releasing GeForce GTX 1060 as early as July 7th – our focus is slowly turning towards the real big gun of Pascal-based GeForce line-up. If our sources are correct, GP100 and GP102 were essentially the same chips, with the difference being NVLink interface on the GP100 and PCI Express for the GP100. Feature set on both chips is the same, and there are no surprises.

We held the “Tesla P100 for PCI Express-based Servers” board in our hands just a few weeks ago, and just a few days ago, we managed to grab our hands on a GP100/GP102-based GeForce GTX Titan. As we reported earlier, this board will only come to market after the debut of Quadro-branded products. Both Quadro and GeForce cards come with the same heatsink, albeit in different color scheme, and “QUADRO” markings vs. “TITAN” on the aluminum-machined shroud.

Display configuration is similar to GeForce GTX 1080/1070, with one small change. Our board did not had DVI connectors on it.

The boards have 8+8-pin and 8+6-pin configuration, with the power connectors being placed in the front, rather than on top (which is the case with GeForce GTX 1070/1080). Bear in mind the PCB has routings for both, but the samples we played with all had front-placed power connectors. If the company ends up using 8+6-pin, you can count on 300W TDP, while the 8+8-pin configuration would give you 375W to play with. The picture below shows position of power connectors on a Tesla PCB, and as you can see, it’s an 8+6-pin configuration.

Bear in mind that the PCB design is really long. We’re seeing the return of a 30cm / 12″ long board here.

tesla--power.jpg

8+8+6-pin power connectors remain an option for GP100-based GeForce GTX Titan

What matters is the performance. At the time of writing, we can report that Tesla and Quadro clocks are complete, but the engineering team is still trying to extract the last bit of performance from the cards. Expect the chip packaging to remain the same as on Tesla and Quadro cards, thus we should see two versions of Titan boards, the 16GB and 12GB one, with HBM2 memory clocked higher than it was the case with the Tesla family (Tesla boards are geared towards HPC use – industrial design, ECC-enabled memory, 60-to-72 month lifetime cycle).

The target is at least 50% higher performance than GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, and our sources are saying they’re now bound by the CPU. Even Core i7-6950X isn’t enough to feed all the cards and in a lot of scenarios you could see an Intel Core i7-6700K, with its supreme clock (4.0 vs. 3.0 GHz) easily feed the GP100 more efficiently than Broadwell-E based Core i7 Extreme Edition. The running joke inside Nvidia is “don’t buy the 6950X – buy 6700K and a Titan” but we’re not sure that Nvidia will use this for an official tagline. Truth to be told, they might be right – we need Intel to return to the 4-core next-gen mainstream/enthusiast and then X-core big-daddy part using the same architecture, rather than the current cadence which makes sense only if you’re working for Intel. AMD’s 8-core ZEN cannot come soon enough.

If all things go well, Nvidia should unveil GeForce GTX Titan P on Gamescom in Cologne, Germany – August 17-21, 2016.

SOURCE

So if this article is to be believed they actually had their hands on the Titan card.

The bit in yellow confuses me though as didn't the Pascal Tesla card not have a fan due to being a server part.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, the more i think about it, the more I wonder, do I really need a Ti? I am starting to move from "I want one" to "what I have is good enough"!
Thing is - I think this will be the first genuine 4k/60fps card.

Which is pretty exciting and kind of ushers us into the age of 4k proper. I think it will be totally worth it for those enthusiasts who *need* the power to run everything at such a high fidelity and resolution.

But I mean yea, if you're only at 1440p, getting a Titan/1080Ti might well be like getting a GTX1080 if you're still playing on 1080p.

And then hopefully Volta gives us this kind of power but at £350-400 or so. That's when I'd jump in. I'll probably stick with 1080p and my GTX970 til 2018 and then skip 1440p and go straight to 4k. Hopefully they'll have some nice HDR monitors and whatnot by then.

Associate
Thing is - I think this will be the first genuine 4k/60fps card.

Which is pretty exciting and kind of ushers us into the age of 4k proper. I think it will be totally worth it for those enthusiasts who *need* the power to run everything at such a high fidelity and resolution.

But I mean yea, if you're only at 1440p, getting a Titan/1080Ti might well be like getting a GTX1080 if you're still playing on 1080p.

And then hopefully Volta gives us this kind of power but at £350-400 or so. That's when I'd jump in. I'll probably stick with 1080p and my GTX970 til 2018 and then skip 1440p and go straight to 4k. Hopefully they'll have some nice HDR monitors and whatnot by then.

You mean Vega? Not sure what Volta is ...

Soldato
Same boat as you, prices are way to high this gen so I'm skipping and just sticking to 980ti.

Hopefully the next gen is priced a bit more reasonable, or AMD comes up with something good for the high end.

The best current hardware will always be very expensive, let's not forget what prices the 980 ti launched at (and that was with a better £ too). You think AMD will sell their best hardware for cheaper if they get at that level? Of course not. Hell, even the current ones are pretty expensive, just look at the Fury X!

Soldato
Great news can't wait for one!

I don't think the prices of the Ti are going to be as high as some people are making out. . .

I reckon the Ti will be around £699-799 (depending on edition etc).

Mistake people are making is because the 1080 is well over priced for what is a mid range card in the pascal series people assume the Ti will be overpriced as well. I can see 1080 coming down by £150-200 which is where it should have been in the first place.

Nvidia done exactly the same strategy when the 980's came out.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Yup the Pascal based Tesla card previewed doesn't have a fan, so that makes the part in yellow make less sense.

Both Quadro and GeForce cards come with the same heatsink, albeit in different color scheme, and “QUADRO” markings vs. “TITAN” on the aluminum-machined shroud.

pascal-tesla-card.jpg

Soldato
oh, you learn something every day!
Yea, Pascal isn't even a full jump. It's basically Maxwell + some refinements/optimizations.

Maxwell and Volta were the architectural shifts that Nvidia had planned, but Volta was taking longer than expected and so they needed something to fill the gap, especially to stay competitive with the node jump. So they touched up Maxwell, threw a 16nm chip on it and called it Pascal.

Associate
I need a game I cannot play on maxed settings in 4k before I can buy. I just don't need more power right now. Running doom maxed, ark survival evolved maxed, latest tomb raider maxed, assetto corsa maxed, forza pc maxed. Is anything coming soon that I'll need power for?

Witcher 3... or even...Quantum Break? Pretty sure you can't max QB lol

Soldato
Yup the Pascal based Tesla card previewed doesn't have a fan, so that makes the part in yellow make less sense.

pascal-tesla-card.jpg

I think you are confusing Quadro and Tesla.
Tesla is compute only, and is designed for a high airflow server, it's doesn't need a fan, just an open front and back to allow the server's 15K RPM fans to cool it. Quadro is the posh CAD card, which will end up in workstations, and like the Titan will need a blower cooler.

Last edited:
Associate
Yea, Pascal isn't even a full jump. It's basically Maxwell + some refinements/optimizations.

Maxwell and Volta were the architectural shifts that Nvidia had planned, but Volta was taking longer than expected and so they needed something to fill the gap, especially to stay competitive with the node jump. So they touched up Maxwell, threw a 16nm chip on it and called it Pascal.

Awesome, well that settles it for me then.

Apparently Volta is due to make an appearance in 2018, no point buying a 1080 Ti, just to change again a year later.

Caporegime
Great news can't wait for one!

I don't think the prices of the Ti are going to be as high as some people are making out. . .

I reckon the Ti will be around £699-799 (depending on edition etc).

Mistake people are making is because the 1080 is well over priced for what is a mid range card in the pascal series people assume the Ti will be overpriced as well. I can see 1080 coming down by £150-200 which is where it should have been in the first place.

Nvidia done exactly the same strategy when the 980's came out.

Why would they though when they cant make 1080s fast enough and they are still flying out of the door at £700 to £900?

Why give us more perfromance at a lessor price when there is not competition?

Plus if the exchange does fall to the predicted $1.20 to a the pound, 1080s are going to be £800 to £1000 when this launches.

Back
Top Bottom