• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Volta 20 series coming Q3 2017

Soldato
The only reason i could see them pushing a launch forward like this could be that they think Vega is going to be better than what they have on the market now and need to push forward the launch or there sales of the 10 series is slowing down. Big load of Salt here but it's not something i would discount. Nvidia have been launching cards at will compared to AMD over the last few years.

Caporegime
The only reason i could see them pushing a launch forward like this could be that they think Vega is going to be better than what they have on the market now and need to push forward the launch or there sales of the 10 series is slowing down. Big load of Salt here but it's not something i would discount. Nvidia have been launching cards at will compared to AMD over the last few years.
Who says they are pushing the launch forwards?

Pascal is already 1 year old, Volta by the end of the year would make pascal over 18 months. which is a pretty standard age for a modern GPU.

Soldato
Read this earlier when having my morning cuppa and skipped it. I would bet my PC that it won't be a gaming GPU released that early!

True mate, it's been scheduled for 2018 and no reasoning of current to change this or expect otherwise.

Only way I could see is if VEGA was substantially faster than all current nvidia offerings. Which at the minute stands highly unlikely.

Associate
True mate, it's been scheduled for 2018 and no reasoning of current to change this or expect otherwise.

Only way I could see is if VEGA was substantially faster than all current nvidia offerings. Which at the minute stands highly unlikely.
I predict it will be for some games and in others it won't be. It will probably be very fast in that new prey game, especially at 4k hdr.

Volta will be faster in everything and you will need a mortgage to buy it. Also it will hit the market in fe only and it'll be 4 months before aib cards get released.

Caporegime

No, see Nvidia have only given release schedules for the non-gaming Volta products which are both end of 2017. There is no public schedule for a gaming Volta part.

Soldato
Caporegime
They don't need one as straight from the Nvidia road map Volta is 2018

http://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2015/6/ff510e38-4007-4160-b107-d40b7d1e8004.jpg

Just about everyone is expecting 2018 due to Nvidia's road map so a q3 launch this year would be pretty surprising.

You actually need to read the presentation notes to know what that means. In that early presentation Volta wasn't given a release date but was penciled in to come after Pascal at roughly the expected interval between GPU releases. Nidia gave no official release dates for Volta back then, they have given official release dates for Volta used in Xavier.

And if you are going to be really trusting that graph then Volta is not after the 2018 time, it is quite obviosuly at the end of 2017.

EDIT:
Here, i have annotated the image https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2eteaqnxl941kn/volta.jpeg

Not that it matters because the presentation wasn't provide exact dates but a vague roadmap of performance. The only official information we have been told is end of 2017 for Xavier which uses Volta.

Last edited:
Soldato
They're just regurgitating a low level rumor that was being spread around. I heard about it yesterday already.

Not that likely, unless they're talking about some commercial-focused product. Gaming products are still unlikely to come til 2018. There's no reason to doubt Nvidia's own roadmap.

That said, people who say that Nvidia wouldn't do this because it's too soon are probably underestimating Nvidia's eagerness to stay on top. I am absolutely sure they'd bring it out this year if they could.

Back
Top Bottom