• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA's stock on track to suffer biggest one-day loss in 5 1/2 years

Soldato
Nvidia’s stock NVDA, -8.99% tumbled 9% in afternoon trade, putting it on track to suffer the biggest one-day percentage loss in 5 1/2 years. It has now shed 15% since closing at a record high of $119.13 on Feb. 7. Volume of 28.1 million shares was nearly double the full-day average.

Troubling times ahead for NVIDIA - I assume the Ryzen launch has had an affect also. A strong AMD is bad news for NVIDIA. Think of all the profits from Ryzen that AMD will pour into it's GPU division etc!

I'm very happy that NVIDIA is moving down and AMD is moving up - hopefully they'll reach an equilibrium in the next few years, that will be awesome for us consumers, from a competition point of view :)

Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nvidias-stock-rocked-after-analysts-say-its-time-to-sell-2017-02-23

Soldato
Competition is good though, with amd owning ati, we could just end up with another monopoly situation, which is no good for the consumer.

Soldato
Mmmm it's not all doom and gloom as said.

I don't see how profit taking on 1 day can be seen as "troubling times" when the share price is still over $100...

Nvidia needs to adjust it's share price as no matter what anybody thinks, they are not a $54B company....

Hopefully AMD can nip at their heels with Vega..

Soldato
:)
Think some of you guys/gals are joking but after such a good run it was obviously going to happen. This was a case of good news being released but no more buyers left so the stock has fallen. It's still gone higher than I thought it would. It needs to consolidate, the price was at crazy multiples of earnigs - something like the next couple of years of predicted profits was already priced in.

I sold some at $86 expecting the to top out shortly afterwards (for the time being) but hold some for the long term too. Was going to put a few grand in AMD when I sold as thought they'd be in for a good run too. AMD shares outperforming Nvidia now but AMD were much more risky to start with being nearly bust a while ago.

As Kaapstad has said, it could be a good time to buy. When others start panicking and selling it's time for others to be greedy

Soldato
all those new feeds about 980 Ti owners getting an upgrade early.

some reason i envision they'll be offered a ridiculous upgrade price that would be madness to turn down so they wont go get a Vega

Soldato
Meh, probably a slight sting in Nvidia's bum. They will still release a 1080 Ti at an maximum of 10% performance increase compared to the previous model for £700+ and numpties will still buy it.

Soldato
Nvidia has scared a lot of customers away with their business practices. The whole 970 vram thing, neglecting older models with drivers, and questionable prices are coming back to bite them.

Caporegime
The share price has nothing to do with graphics cards but is based on an overvaluation due to the skyrocket hype from autonomous cars. Nvidia enjoyed completely unrealistic share growth as did many companies in this space. There are mom and pop startup getting bought out for $1billlion. Analysts with half a brain are trying to inject a modicum of reality.

The end result is Nvidia's share price has been reset to where it was a few weeks ago. Given it another few weeks and it will reach another record high IMO. Very fluid stock though.

AMD aren't competing in the same AV space so are not affected but other players also saw large share adjustments recently. E.g., Tesla also dropped over 10%

D3K

D3K

Soldato
This reminds me of the Radio 2 discussion a few weeks back, "banks aren't making as much as you think". Even 10% of an exorbitant truckload is still massive.

Back
Top Bottom