NVME heat issue: under a 3090 okay?

Soldato
I have a Corsair MP400 4 TB NVME drive sitting physically under my RTX 3090. I'm in the process of copying data onto it as my main game library and data drive and it's holding steady at 65-70C (critical temperature is 80C), but I'm wondering how it will fare when I start gaming?

Man of Honour
Do you have a heatsink on the drive? I found my Samsung 970 was hitting around 70C and throttling unless I used one. (With the heatsink temperatures dropped drastically - now only hits about 47C).

Soldato
OP
Do you have a heatsink on the drive? I found my Samsung 970 was hitting around 70C and throttling unless I used one. (With the heatsink temperatures dropped drastically - now only hits about 47C).

No, no heatsink. I don't think there's room for one!

Soldato
OP
What board is it?

Asus B560M-Plus. It's in the second NVME slot (PCIEv3 x4). I'm in the process of copying ~1.5TB onto it so I'm not surprised it's heating up right now, even though it's operating at the speed of the LAN, a paltry 1 Gbps. The question is whether or not being underneath the 3090 will be an issue when I game.

Associate
while gaming it will get warm but not at the temps your getting now as it's under 100% load copying data. while gaming you should be looking at under 50c give or take 2c as it's right under your gpu. test it and find out for yourself and post results here :)

Soldato
Especially writing to SSD causes it to heat up.
But for as long as it doesn't cause problems it isn't really any issue.
In fact Flash memory likes to be at higher temperature during writes.
Guess you could say Flash cells are "more malleable" at higher temperature.

But when Flash is storing data then you want lower temperatures.

Associate
Considering how much heat the top of a 3090 can produce i'd try and put the ssd in a different socket though try stress testing with a benchmark to see worst case scenarios

Back
Top Bottom