nzbmatrix quits

Associate
They rewarded people for driving traffic to the site. Nobody was forced to pay money to upload & download content.

Google rewards people for driving traffic to youtube videos
ISPs reward people for referring friends

The idea is nothing new.

How did those people drive traffic to the site? Via pirated material :p

YouTube is different because they show content with permission of the rightsholder.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
How did those people drive traffic to the site? Via pirated material :p

YouTube is different because they show content with permission of the rightsholder.

MU had plenty of legitimate traffic. There's a ton of pirated stuff on YouTube, it's not like they ask the rightsholder for permission to show the content before making it public. They both accept(ed) DMCA.

Associate
MU had plenty of legitimate traffic. There's a ton of pirated stuff on YouTube, it's not like they ask the rightsholder for permission to show the content before making it public. They both accept(ed) DMCA.

Yes to be fair there is pirated content on YouTube but I think it is fair to say they are very much moving towards licensed content via agreements they have with music companies, TV companies and film studios. They've also got a system in place to try and prevent unauthorized content from being uploaded in the first place. Could they be doing more? Perhaps, but at least they're making efforts in the right direction.

Soldato
Not true, neither ISP's or hard disk manufacturers have a business model designed around encouraging piracy and rewarding people for uploading pirated material. Mega Upload did.

ISP's and hard disk makers would both still exist as viable businesses without piracy making the companies running them vast profits. Mega Upload would not.

Kim dot com is a theiving scum bag and those who defend him are laughable.

You don't understand the subject you're trying to discuss, that's your issue not anyone elses.

Megaupload's purpose was to shift data, very similar to the concept of removable storage, CDs/DVDs/Blurays. Are they all thieves too?

Oh, you also don't understand theft, or how to use apostrophes. :)

Educate yourself before trying to argue topics you don't understand. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it's got to be an informed opinion, yours isn't.

Associate
Ah fair one, I've just noticed a significant increase as of late.

I heard it was also that a lot of Usenet providers use the Highwinds servers which are very very poor at updating, I get a lot of issue's on Virgin media's free newsgroups, i would search for something using binsearch, try to download the NXB using grabit and it says "article not found", After readin it was probably due to these highwinds servers i purchased usenetserver.com for a month but then found the same issue, a bit more digging found that they also use the highwinds servers.

Giganews and Atraweb do not so i had no issue's with these. At first i thought it was because i have just started using a VPN but that didnt cause the issue.

Associate
we'll go back to the good old days of downloading headers from certain groups, trying to work out what some of it was, downloading it then going on secret irc channels to request PARs etc. etc.

Would that be the secret IRC channels often written in CAPS in the file header? :p
I do feel slightly nostalgic for the old way of doing things.

Associate
one of the unintended consequences of this may be the increased uptake of bitcoins to "donate" to some other sites. Expect more sites to spring up now that paying for things becomes easier and harder to control.

As usual, the accelerated evolution by the futile effort to cling onto a dated business model will only hasten their demise.

Back
Top Bottom