O2 - retentions deal or leave?

Soldato
Hi,

My missus has just come to the end of her iPhone 5s contract with O2 (24mos, 1GB, about £40pm). She's really itching to get an iPhone 7, though would settle for a 6s on a cheaper deal with more data and EU roaming.

She was ready to jump ship to Three on the 4GB £42pm deal, but since she doesn't have much of a credit history, she got rejected when we applied online. Without the £90 Quidco cashback online, it makes it a bit too expensive for her.

What are our options for getting a deal via O2 retentions? She's been with them for 4 years, and regularly has to go over her allowance for EU roaming and extra data, so I figure this is a good thing for negotiating...

Ideal deal would be something like:
  • £50 up front
  • £40pm
  • Minimum 2GB data (but ideally 4-5GB)
  • Unlimited minutes / texts
  • EU roaming allowance
Is this doable? If not from O2 retentions, then from another source that is less stringent on the credit check front!

Cheers,

Su

Don
I'm not sure how strict Vodafone are with their credit checks but you can get an iPhone 7 at CPW on Vodafone (she'd obviously need to get her PAC from o2 and port her number) on the following deal:

£50 up front
£42pm
3gb data + 500mb EU data.

Again through CPW, you can upgrade on o2:

£70 up front
£45 per month
5gb data with free EU roaming.

Soldato
OP
Nice thanks Baz! Looks like these CPW deals are new?

Do you happen to know if it's CPW or the network that run the credit checks? Ideally would like to do it all online so we can claw some cashback :)

Cheers,

Su

Associate
Latest scorcher posted on hotukdeals for the iphone 7:

"Iphone 7 32gb with 5gb of data + ultd mins/texts - Free Phone and £35.99 a month = total cost £863.76 uswitch exclusive

6 months of free Apple Music + 6 months of free BT Sport + Speeds up to 60Mbps + Tethering + Use mins/txts and 500MB data in EU + WiFi on London Underground + EE Film Club

phone normally £135 on this deal, use code "USW1016D" for free phone

cost then £35.99 a month for 24 months

total cost £863"

(Carrier is EE)
Link to hotukdeals post: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/iphone-7-32gb-with-5gb-data-ultd-mins-texts-free-phone-35-99-a-month-total-cost-2530316
Link to deal: https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/contract_deal/c6c49bdab78db737b8326308d4f429bea03c44a0?

It might not be useful cuz of the credit rating issue but, such a good deal.

Last edited:
Don
Nice thanks Baz! Looks like these CPW deals are new?

Do you happen to know if it's CPW or the network that run the credit checks? Ideally would like to do it all online so we can claw some cashback :)

Cheers,

Su

No idea if they're new I'm afraid. And it's the network that do the credit check. If she's simply upgrading then all CPW would do is take a £1 card payment to verify her ID.

I'd have a look around because going by Dumbnub's post there seems to be a few deals knocking around.

Soldato
OP
Wow, that's a great deal Dumbnub, thanks!

So is it worthwhile phoning up O2 retentions with these deals and trying to negotiate with them (since it would possibly avoid the credit check problem?). Or is it unlikely that they would be able to come anywhere close to the value?

Cheers,

Su

Man of Honour
Retention deals are never going to be as good as new customer deals sadly. There's no loyalty in the mobile phone business anymore.

Back
Top Bottom