Objections to Keir Starmer as PM?

Caporegime
So its just electioneering then?

Weird comment.

No, of course it's not "just" electioneering. Politicians who are actually interested in achieving anything rather than making nice noises for the faithful are always going to try and get their words and thoughts read by the people they need to convince. That's their job. That doesn't make it "just electioneering".

Soldato
Weird comment.

No, of course it's not "just" electioneering. Politicians who are actually interested in achieving anything rather than making nice noises for the faithful are always going to try and get their words and thoughts read by the people they need to convince. That's their job. That doesn't make it "just electioneering".
So the red wall read the Times and the Telegraph do they?

Soldato
I think that what @Mr Jack was implying is that Kier Starmer needs people who do read these papers to vote for him. He will not win by just recovering the red wall seats.

He could win on that basis, pulling of the trick of appealing to red wall voters and more moderate voters with a conservative outlook but non-tribal political identity.

But he also has to appeal to voters like me, as do the Conservatives and that is not happening. Obvious any time you pick up a paper and read the messaging from the S.N.P, unappealing on wider policy (independence), but on message on the specific issue, this is the skill they have, also why they are so successful here.

Both the two main unionist parties have identical issues, they can win, hold power but the price is an increasingly fractured U.K. and a fire burning ever stronger in the North.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the situation for Starmer is he needs to win back the red wall seats.

Things are looking good for Starmer in relation to the polling between him and Boris. But I'm not confident this will translate in to voting movements in those seats, yet.

The council elections in May might offer some early insight.

Soldato
So the red wall read the Times and the Telegraph do they?

You seem completely obsessed with what the media are doing. It's entirely possible to just ignore them most of the time. And Twitter too. I mean, why deliberately fill your head with half truths and nonsense? Twitter is often just a slandering /insulting competition, apparently a common past time these days.

Why worry about what other people are reading? Many will just be reinforcing deeply held views anyway, when it comes to politics. I'm sure a lot like me just read the headlines on the BBC, only dipping into the main stories from time to time.

There's a lot of 'noise' out there, it's better to filter most of it out... Saves a lot of time too.

Soldato
You seem completely obsessed with what the media are doing. It's entirely possible to just ignore them most of the time. And Twitter too. I mean, why deliberately fill your head with half truths and nonsense? Twitter is often just a slandering /insulting competition, apparently a common past time these days.

Why worry about what other people are reading? Many will just be reinforcing deeply held views anyway, when it comes to politics. I'm sure a lot like me just read the headlines on the BBC, only dipping into the main stories from time to time.

There's a lot of 'noise' out there, it's better to filter most of it out... Saves a lot of time too.
It's the same in SC, loads of fixed opinions which will not be changed whatever is posted. Mainly noise.

Caporegime
Labour will win a landslide at this rate

I think Labour need to be wary of the trap of believing that they can be swept to power simply by means of the Tory's implosion. Starmer needs to make the argument for a Labour government and set out a compelling route forward. He's done a good job of de-detoxifying the brand but that's merely the necessary foundation.

Otherwise I suspect, even if he does manage to win an election, it will prove a one term reprieve from Tory rule.