1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Objections to Keir Starmer as PM?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by g67575, 6 Apr 2021.

1. robfosters

Caporegime

Getting heckled rather a lot.

He needs a bit of charisma. He’s very monotone.

2. Dolph

Man of Honour

He is doing well and talking sense, his party members are highlighting why the party itself is still not ready for government.

3. g67575

Mobster

We need a worm poll :D

4. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Yeah, he's not the best of speakers. It's not a bad speech, if a bit clunky in places, but the delivery doesn't lift it.

It's kind of sad that I suspect that will doom him in current British politics.

5. Sheff

Wise Guy

I think Keir Starmer's speech to conference was quite good, he managed to contrast himself well against Boris Johnson.

6. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Yeah, I think he did a good job of contrasting his strengths against Boris' weaknesses and positioning the party against the Tories in some areas they're traditionally strong in (e.g. Police and patriotism).

7. BowdonUK

Soldato

He's no orator, and his speech did go on for a while.

But I can see the points he was making, and most of them are good. But he's facing a lot of opposition inside his own party.

The BBC interviewed Laura Pidcock who is apparently on the far left, saying she didn't think much of the speech and thought he'd offer people on her wing an olive branch.

I think Starmer is suffering from the same thing Corbyn did. Because the party is so split, it means they can't say what they really think on subjects.

8. Sheff

Wise Guy

The Conservatives do seem to be gifting them these areas, although I wonder if the economy will ever be one of them.

9. Dolph

Man of Honour

I agree, the big challenge starmer has is convincing the public that his party shares his vision, as the vision is good.

10. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Pretty good dispassionate assessment of the whole strategy here (thread):

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

Pretty good and honest summary.

There is a whole swathe of the electorate who just want competence and vision at the moment.

12. And

Wise Guy

He may not be the best of speakers (lacks the charisma of Blair and is a little droney) but he has the measure of BoJo at PMQs. My only criticism there is that when he has BoJo on the ropes he rarely delivers the KO.

13. Scania

Capodecina

The speech went on a bit and never really got going , being heckled frequently isn’t a good look but he handled it well, but needs to put the left in a box and in a bin before Labour are going to be taken seriously.

My take away was “me me me, blah blah blah” in other words, despite listening to all of it, I can’t remember any of it.

I don’t think it was a speech to make anyone with doubts about Starmer or Labour to sit up and take notice, I was hoping for more but he’s about as interested as watching paint dry and came across as such, that’s his biggest problem.

I’m quite sure Boris will deliver a far more resounding speech and I’m sure it’ll be far less in detail, but, I think the public will lap it up far more than this and that is the problem with British politics at the moment.

14. Sheff

Wise Guy

I don't think it'll make for great soundbites but if they can come up with some decent objectives for the values set out (Work, Care, Equality, and Security) then Labour could be seen as a credible alternative again.

15. chillidog

Gangster

its the same old thing with all parties we promise you this and that and it never happens,but sorry to say Corbyn finish the labour party and i can not see them winning again for a good long time. and yes i voted for labour before Corbyn got in and i promise i won't vote for them again until they make big changes.

16. iamtheoneneo

Capodecina

Man the heckling was not good - no doubt remains of Corbynism in the party which they really need to gut. Funny thing is out of all the leaders at the moment he is the least like a politician, and someone that could actually correct a whole heap of tory **** ups.

Now after Trump and Boris, its a case of 'he doesnt act like an idiot so I dont like him'

17. Murphy

Sgarrista

I guess nothing says we've broken from the loony left of our party than being heckled by them, the clip I've seen of a woman with a face shield above her head really makes it hit home why the country rejected Labour under the stewardship of Corbyn.

18. Scania

Capodecina

My biggest issue is we have inept ****** vs inept ******, I don’t see any true vision in either Johnson nor Starmer, I voted Con last time because there was no way in hell I’d vote Corbyn, it didn’t mean I thought Johnson was great, he isn’t, but, I don’t see anything appealing in Starmer either…

Now if this is a view of someone with an interest in politics, I can’t help but worry what the man in the street thinks of our political choices, one tool or frankly another to steal Starmers jibe at Johnson.

A dangerous thing to call your opponent a tool when frankly your viewed as one yourself….

19. gc123

Wise Guy

i hate to say this but i cant really see him getting any traction until he gets rid of the dissenters in the party which may cause a split. im sure the left must realise that for labour to have any credible chance to challenge the tories they have to start singing from the same hymn sheet, at the moment there not in the same church.
    i voted labour last time , not because i saw corbyn as better but because i had seen the damage the tories had done, and could do in the future.
    the only way forward i feel is for the labour party to split and start a fresh i.e get rid of the corbynites and start to rebuild, the problem there is bojo seeing it happen and capitalising on it by calling a early election, before labour are ready.

20. Mr Jack

Capodecina

The rabid fringe is never going to make peace with Starmer, although they have basically no influence within the actual party (and keep stropping out of the cabinet making themselves ever less significant) but outside of the party itself they're loud, dishonest, and aggressive. And the Media just loves to lap it up, and invite them on - instead of the Tories or the Tory press - as the counterpoint to Starmer and his cabinet. What Starmer needs is a cohort of figures who will go out regularly and bat for Labour, and are there on the end of the phone every time a journalist wants a quote or an opinion, in the way Starmer's critics are.