Oblivion is boring - will I enjoy Fallout 3 any more?

Soldato
You need to find yourself a guild. Get yourself into the fighters guild (Azzan in anvil is the first I believe), thats where and when it starts getting good. You level up through the guilds, getting better weapons, armours, quests. Definately better than sticking to the main story line (which i felt got boring towards the end)

Theres other guilds too, Mages, Thief and there's also the assassins guild. All things that I actually feel make fallout 3 worse as it lacks them. Fallout 3 is a great game!! But if they had guilds of such it would have been better for it.

Yea, I made a thread about that, asking if FO3 had guilds. Think that is why I loved Oblivion... I love playing a stealth char as a kajit due to the race skill being able to see in the dark... Making stealth so much easier :D Once you get used to using the bow and level your skills up in it... It's amazing. One thing that annoys me with the bow is the fact you can only apply 1 poison to a single arrow, not all of them in one go.

ags

C64

C64

Soldato
For me oblivion was one of those games you had to play at the time it was released to appreciate it.
I find it boring too but found fallout 3 far less boring because everywhere you go is an exploration and you find weapons etc so just travelling to somewhere is less of a chore and i think you would definitely like it.

Soldato
I hated oblivion, I think I got outside the beginning cave, roamed about and did some quests and uninstalled it.

however Fallout 3 was one of the best games I played of 2009. It felt more authentic and more like an RPG with a genuinely interesting story, I was more connected to the characters in FO3 compared to oblivion.

I'd say definitely get it!

Caporegime
I agree, Oblivion got boring very quickly. It has nothing on Morrowind. :( However, Fallout 3 is awesome. A slow starter but definitely better than its counterpart.

Can't wait for New Vegas!

Soldato
Oblivion takes longer than 2 hours to get started properly. Played Oblivion to death and could never get into Fallout 3, I'll need to give it another try at some point. I'd say stick with Oblivion for a while longer.

Soldato
I preferred Fallout 3. I liked the storyline and setting a lot more than the traditional style of Oblivion and I felt like I had more purpose and knew what I was doing in Fallout 3 rather than blundering around and bumping into quests more by luck than judgement in Oblivion.

It seems to me that (most of the) people who found Oblivion boring prefer Fallout 3 and vice-versa.

I didn't play either on a console yet though (own them for 360 just not got round to playing). The pc version of each game has some cracking mods.

Associate
FO3 is excellent and would say it's a better game in general than Oblivion (only just recently played through Oblivion) but both games are excellent, large open ended games don't suit everyone, I personally like the freedom and challenge, whereas some people are best sticking with the simpler/easier on rails games.

Soldato
FO3 is excellent and would say it's a better game in general than Oblivion (only just recently played through Oblivion) but both games are excellent, large open ended games don't suit everyone, I personally like the freedom and challenge, whereas some people are best sticking with the simpler/easier on rails games.

Know what you mean. It can be very daunting starting out in Oblivion for the first time... HUGE map with so much in it, you could easily spend 24 hours simply collecting plants and making sweet potions lol. But some people want to be baby fed into the game. Me, I loved it the first time I played. "Out of jail... Off you go, oh, go see this guy if you want to..." lol.

ags

Caporegime
OP
Know what you mean. It can be very daunting starting out in Oblivion for the first time... HUGE map with so much in it, you could easily spend 24 hours simply collecting plants and making sweet potions lol. But some people want to be baby fed into the game. Me, I loved it the first time I played. "Out of jail... Off you go, oh, go see this guy if you want to..." lol.

ags

Baby steps seems like a bit of a slight...

I just don't have time to faff around with that. I get an hour or two a night, and that's it. I'm not gaming all weekend. If I was at uni I might get more out of it, but family life rather gets in the way of big gaming marathons.

I'd rather have something where I can play for an hour and feel I've achieved something in that time, and not just in the "achievements" sense of the word.

Back
Top Bottom