Oblivion is boring - will I enjoy Fallout 3 any more?

Caporegime
I'm about 2 hours into Oblivion and finding it boring as hell. It's really not grabbing me. I've thus far got to the priory where the monk has had a look at the amulet, but all I've really done is wander endlessly and got bitchslapped in fights.

I'm wondering whether it's the setting that's not gripping me, in which case Fallout 3 would possibly be a better bet, or whether I just don't particular like big open RPGs, in which case Fallout 3 will also suck the balls.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
I don't really like Oblivion to be honest - I've tried multiple times to get into it and finish the game but it just didn't grab me enough - I ended up completing the thief sub-quests and just giving up with the overall story quests :p

However, I loved Fallout 3 and completed it and will definitely go back to it and complete it again :) Gunfighting is a lot better than sword play in my opinion :p

Soldato
fallout 3 is better, mainly because of the morbid setting, and the guns/weapons add to it. i generally think its just a better game, but again, everyones tastes are different so you may not enjoy it, as it is still open ended like oblivion is. i enjoyed oblivion for the record :p (the swords and bows got boring after a while though, i felt like i had to shoot something lol)

edit: VATS is really cool too specially when you get awesome headshots on people and the head goes rolling across the floor :D

and the bloody mess perk is cool too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oblivion takes a longggggggg time to start, as I always say, for new starters, the dark brother hood quests are you best starting point. You get very good armor/weapons early on. Simply kill someone without being caught, sleep then you will be awakened by a member and asked a few questions.

Oblivion is a great game, but like I said, just takes time before you get decent quests. Also, do the main story up to the point you capture back that town (not going to say as spoiler). It gives you the chance to get some decent weapons and a bit of looting before you start the game's in depth side quests.

ags

edit: I love oblivion, but cant get on with fallout 3... Find it boring :(

Soldato
I've finished Fallout 3 and really enjoyed that.

Oblivion I've owned a long time and never got into it. I actually forced myself to try again recently but again struggled and it also feels a bit dated compared to Fallout now, as the controls aren't as refined and you've not got thing like VATS.

Soldato
Haven't played Oblivion but Fallout 3 is great. It's not just wandering about the Wasteland that is fun but the sense of some panic as you start to run out of ammo and don't have enough caps to buy more or seeing a Deathclaw coming for you out of no where.

I lost hours of my life just exploring the world in Fallout 3 and it always gave out some good surprises. Apart from when I was in a settlement, I never felt that the game was too easy or that I would have it easy. You always have to be on the look out.

Soldato
I love both but found Fallout a bit more instant gratification. You have to put more into Oblivion, but in my opinion you get more out.

It's bigger and it feels bigger and more.. free. More side quests, I amused myself for a LONG time before I even touched the main quest, whereas I don't feel you could really do that in FO.

The main quest itself in FO is more enjoyable though I think.

Caporegime
I thought Oblivion was OK, but Fallout 3 surpassed it for me in every way possible.

Deffinitely give it a go, for the price even if you think it's a load of dung it's worth the risk, as if you like it you'll find it epic.

Associate
I also found Oblivion quite boring - the repetitive combat especially. However, I loved Fallout 3 and I cannot wait for the new one. So yeah, just because you disliked Oblivion does not mean in any way you'll dislike Fallout 3. I say go for it.

Soldato
depends if you just wanna play the game, or want fun... both have epic modder communitys.

i found oblivion more fun without mods, but FO3 is way better with them... cheats help to :)

unlimeted VATS with linchon repeater should keep you happy for an hour or so

Soldato
I loved Oblivion and still enjoy it now, but not sure how I would feel about it if I was only playing it for the first time in 2010, amazing that it's 4 years old but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't fall in love with it straight away.

I always wanted to like Fallout 3 but the setting, story and general feel just never did it for me, shame as I hear people talking about it and it sounds great but just didn't connect for me.

Soldato
You need to find yourself a guild. Get yourself into the fighters guild (Azzan in anvil is the first I believe), thats where and when it starts getting good. You level up through the guilds, getting better weapons, armours, quests. Definately better than sticking to the main story line (which i felt got boring towards the end)

Theres other guilds too, Mages, Thief and there's also the assassins guild. All things that I actually feel make fallout 3 worse as it lacks them. Fallout 3 is a great game!! But if they had guilds of such it would have been better for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom