Observational phone ownership

Soldato
What do people notice people using out in the real world?

I’ve noiticed a lot of Huawei’s replacing Samsung’s at work. iPhone owners remain iPhone users with a few android users becoming iPhone users (it never seems to be the other way).

Observationally it looks like Samsung are losing whatever they have left of the high end to Apple and the mid/low end to Huawei.

Soldato
People who have their face plastered to their phone when in crowded areas deserve their phone to drop and get smashed into pieces.

Soldato
I haven't noticed much change in the Android space, I see mostly Samsung phones on the tube. iPhones I've noticed a lot of people still using iPhone 6 and 7s, it's rare to see anything like an iPhone X/XS.

Soldato
OP
I haven't noticed much change in the Android space, I see mostly Samsung phones on the tube. iPhones I've noticed a lot of people still using iPhone 6 and 7s, it's rare to see anything like an iPhone X/XS.

The biggest change I’ve noticed in Apple users recently is how many now have Apple watches and AirPods. I’ve seen one non-Apple smart watch at work.

Soldato
The biggest change I’ve noticed in Apple users recently is how many now have Apple watches and AirPods. I’ve seen one non-Apple smart watch at work.
Although I do see this at work (a lot of techie people) I find it pretty rare to see airpods when I'm on public transport. Mainly see things like Sony or Bose full headphones.

Soldato

Eugh this woman at work has an apple smart watch. I was unfortunately talking to her about something and she got a call and promptly ignored me lifted up her arm and started talking to her wrist. Rude

Soldato
I drink in chav-erspoons a few times a week and the worst thing by far is old people showing each other videos on full blast with no consideration for who is around them. At least groups of young people have enough respect to ignore everyone they're with and sit in deathly silence while glued to theirs. :p

Associate
I see a few more Pixels these days than I remember seeing back in the Nexus days. Still relatively rare, but one thing I have noticed is that those who buy Pixels are very clear about why they have one (mostly the camera, but the software is mentioned too).

Still lots of iPhones floating about, especially at work. I work for a big 4 accountancy firm and I would say its at least 90% iPhone if not higher, although the fact that is all my firm offers probably has a lot to do with it.

Still see plenty of Samsungs, in fact, quite a few of those at my work who don’t have iPhones are techies and usually own an Android phone of some description.

I’m seeing a lot more Huawei’s these days.

100% agree with SpartaK, I f’in hate mobile phone zombies with a passion.

Probably quite an irrational hate is those that force close every app they open, every time they’re finished with it; really grinds my gears that one. Totally unnecessary.

Soldato
100% agree with SpartaK, I f’in hate mobile phone zombies with a passion.

Probably quite an irrational hate is those that force close every app they open, every time they’re finished with it; really grinds my gears that one. Totally unnecessary.

Hehe, not as frustrating as the explanation behind it..."to free up space"

Man of Honour
Seeing more Apple Watch and Airpods, although maybe thats because I have them and I tend to notice them more.
Still seeing a lot of iPhones in the corporate world though (where it isn't BYOD).

Still mainly Samsung for Android use although spotting a lot more Huawei models as well.

Caporegime
A lot less new phones. Its quite common to see people with s7 age phones. And a lot more smart watches.

Im still on an s7. Had a look at new phones. Thought.. That one looks OK.. Saw possible price of 800+..have now disregarded a new phone.

I noticed that one of the carriers, I think O2, are starting to offer 3 year contracts. What the actual ****? Apple are partly to blame, but Samsung too in recent years.

In the corporate environment, I notice a lot people still use Nokia phones running Windows. Similarly, Dell are dominant in the workplace for desktops and laptops.

My family used to be a mix of Blackberries and iPhones (and I was Sony-Ericsson), and now virtually all of us are Samsung. I'm not sure if I'll have Samsung as my next phone because of the spiralling prices. Or I might go sim-only and keep my S8+ as I love it.

Associate
A lot less new phones. Its quite common to see people with s7 age phones. And a lot more smart watches.

Im still on an s7. Had a look at new phones. Thought.. That one looks OK.. Saw possible price of 800+..have now disregarded a new phone.

Yep, my girlfriend is on an S7 still, she fancied a new toy, but she was only paying about £21 a month for it, now her contract has ran out, so her choices are - knock the contract down to a cheaper one, and keep S7 or buy one outright (can't afford) or try and find something that represents an upgrade for a similar cost - most contracts for anything half decent seem to be well north of £35 a month. Without wanting to derail the thread, if anyone has any suggestions of a phone with a bigger screen, better battery and better camera than the S7 in the £20-£30 arena then I would be interested to hear it... I think she'll end up keeping the S7 though unless someone can come up with something amazing for the price. She would like an iPhone but frankly even she says they're not worth the money.

Even me, a massive techy pervert, normally likes to upgrade every year but this year I can't see the point and in all honesty this could even be the first year where I keep a phone for longer than 2 years myself; currently on a P2XL and honestly for the most part its fine - and its only costing me £30 a month.

I noticed that one of the carriers, I think O2, are starting to offer 3 year contracts. What the actual ****? Apple are partly to blame, but Samsung too in recent years.

In the corporate environment, I notice a lot people still use Nokia phones running Windows. Similarly, Dell are dominant in the workplace for desktops and laptops.

My family used to be a mix of Blackberries and iPhones (and I was Sony-Ericsson), and now virtually all of us are Samsung. I'm not sure if I'll have Samsung as my next phone because of the spiralling prices. Or I might go sim-only and keep my S8+ as I love it.

Our firm only offers 3 year contracts. I am not sure I would like to be tied to one phone for 3 years but then maybe modern phones really are good enough for this now (see above).

I've noticed about half the people with an iPhone have a cracked screen.

This, very much this... I dunno how people can bare to use a phone with broken screen...

Yes. People who willingly go out into decent society with cracked screens should be rounded up and beaten. I would say 90% of these are made up of iPhone users (as you say) and are aged 14-18.

Absolutely :D

Soldato
This, very much this... I dunno how people can bare to use a phone with broken screen...

When my mrs upgraded to an iPhone 6 the first thing I did was purchase a screen protector. I put it on the phone before she got home. Within a week she'd dropped it and it was covered in cracks but still worked... I let her stew for a few days and then changed the screen protector on the sly :p To this day she thinks I fixed her phone for favors :p

People around me are moving from iPhone to Android, haven't noticed anyone going the other way

Soldato
I drink in chav-erspoons a few times a week and the worst thing by far is old people showing each other videos on full blast with no consideration for who is around them. At least groups of young people have enough respect to ignore everyone they're with and sit in deathly silence while glued to theirs. :p

I've noticed this too. These two old women were playing a video really loud in a small coffee shop last week, so annoying.

Back
Top Bottom